PG @ $29. Tamarind @ $20. Canaletto same

Thebes

If enough pax end up not liking the share presentation they will stop going to Canaletto. If each pax orders food they like but no one wants to share a dish with them there will be a lot of waste. In both cases HAL will be losing money and they will discontinue the new menu. It's success or failure is HAL's problem to solve, not mine,and will just take time to work out. If I wanted to go to Canaletto I would go, order what I want to eat, and let HAL worry about the rest. I don't understand all the angst.

No, RuthC, they are certainly not going to charge you double. In the case of a solo diner I would think the portions would be smaller. If not and there is wasted food, again it's HAL's problem, not yours.

I have a funny feeling that there is going to be a lot of wasted food.

And I see that there are some dishes at the Pinnacle that they expect you to share -- more waste if each of us orders our own side dishes and can't eat those double portions.

New Canaletto Menu:

Canaletto Menu -- $10 per person - can only be booked once on the ship.

“Spartire” is the Italian word for sharing. It is a concept that is part of everyday life in Italy, especially when eating with friends and family. Our menu is designed around this authentic Italian experience and offers a variety of dishes to enjoy and share. The right amount of food is always important so we suggest ordering two small plates, one pasta and one large plate for every two people at your table.

Buon Appetito!

Small Plates:

*Salumi -- prosciutto, coppa, grissini, shaved pecorino, assorted olives

Veal & Sage Polpettina -- glazed cipolin onions, rustic tomato sauce

Zuppa Di Pesce -- mussels, clams, shrimp, scallops, cod, vegetables, tomato saffron broth

Canaletto Salad -- Boston lettuce, roasted beets, gorgonzola, candied walnuts, raspberry vinaigrette

Duck & Chicken Liver Pate -- spiced duck preserve, rustic toast, kumquat marmalade

*Seared Beef Carpaccio -- rosemary aioli, shallots, sea salt, cracked pepper

Eggplant Caponata -- golden raisins, pine nuts, mint

Vermouth Braised Clams -- spicy chorizo, garlic, basil

Pasta

Pappardelle -- shrimp, artichokes, lemon-herb emulsion

Spaghetti -- Bolognese or pomodoro

Potato Gnocchi -- braised beef short rib, mascarpone, butter roasted carrots and celery

Rigatoni -- Italian sausage, Kalamata olives, spicy tomato sauce

Ricotta Ravioli -- braised leeks, oven-dried tomatoes, arugula-pine nut pesto

Large Plates

Sauteed Veal Piccata -- lemon angel hair, capers, kale crisps

Braised Chicken Cacciatore “Al Formo” -- caramelized carrots, soft parmesan polenta

Roasted Pork Loin Saltimbocca -- seared escarole, cannelini beans, Marsala glace

*Grilled Lemon-Thyme White Sea Bass -- roasted fingerling potatoes, shaved fennel, orange-olive salad.

*The US Food and Drug Administration advises that eating uncooked or partially cooked meat, seafood, shellfish, milk, poultry and/or eggs may increase your risk for food borne illness if you have certain medical conditions.

Dolci

Trio of Tiramisu -- espresso, lemon and amaretto

Limoncello Crème -- Tuscan lemon liqueur

Torta Cacao -- walnut praline, vanilla bean gelato

Gelato -- strawberry, vanilla bean, pistachio, giandula

Selection of Italian Cheeses

The Canaletto is pleased to offer authentic Italian wines and varietals, each telling a story of it’s special region of Italy. In addition we offer a selection of beer including an Italian favorite Peroni, mixed drinks, sofa and water. Please speak with your beverage staff to enhance your dining experience.

Cocktails -- $6.25

Americano -- campari, sweet vermouth, soda water

Bicicietta -- campari, white wine, soda water

Bellini -- prosecco, peach puree

Frangelico Tuscan Mule -- frangelico, ginger ale

God Father -- amaretto, scotch

God Mother -- amaretto, vodka

Negron -- campari, sweet vermouth, gin

Rossini -- prosecco, strawberry puree

Aperol Spitzer -- aperol, prosecco

Wines Glass Carafe Bottle

5 oz. 15 oz. 25 oz.

White

Pinot Grigio, Delle Venezie $5.50 $15 $22

Pinot Grigio, Danzante $6.75 $18 $27

Moscato, Zonin $8.50 $23 $34

Rose

Salento Rose $5.50 $15 $22

Red

Primitivo Di Puglia $5.50 $15 $22

Pinot Noir, Pavia $5.50 $15 $22

Montepulciano D’Abbruzzo $5.50 $15 $22

Sanglovese, Santa

Cristina Antonori $8.50 $23 $34

Melini Chianti

Borgeri D’Elsa $8.50 $23 $34

Select Wines

Bottle

25 oz.

White

Pinot Grigio, Ruffino $44

Chardonnay, Feudi De Pisciotto $39

Red

Batasiolo Barbera D’Asti $39

Merlot Feudi Del Pisciotto ‘Valentino’ $39

Chianti Castiglioni Frescobaldi $45

Brunello Di Montalcino DOCG Antinori $74

Guado AL Tasso Bolgheri DOCG Superiore $89

Sangiovese, Brunello Di Montalcino, Castello-Banfi $114

Solaia, Antinori $329

Digestive -- $5.95

Served in a souvenir Holland America Line glass

Limoncello

Amaretto

Frangelico

Sambuca

Grappa di Alexander

Cognac

Hennessey V.S. Glass -- $7.95

Courvoisier V.S.O.P. Glass -- $7.95

Remy Martin V.S.O.P. Glass -- $10.95

Couvoisier Napoleon Glass -- $10.95

A 15% service charge will automatically be added to your beverage purchases. A corkage fee of $18 applies for wine and champagne brought to the restaurant or bars for consumption.

So if I book online, I can get a table for 2 ? At least not share tables!

If enough pax end up not liking the share presentation they will stop going to Canaletto. If each pax orders food they like but no one wants to share a dish with them there will be a lot of waste. In both cases HAL will be losing money and they will discontinue the new menu. It's success or failure is HAL's problem to solve, not mine,and will just take time to work out. If I wanted to go to Canaletto I would go, order what I want to eat, and let HAL worry about the rest. I don't understand all the angst.

No, RuthC, they are certainly not going to charge you double. In the case of a solo diner I would think the portions would be smaller. If not and there is wasted food, again it's HAL's problem, not yours.

You left out the 3rd alternative - they might make you join people at another table so you can all share :p:rolleyes:

While I agree the waste is HAL's problem seeing they created this way of serving, however, that waste would disturb me enough for me to not want to dine there.

I also don't like the idea we would make a reservation for two or four or whatever and when we arrived be expected to share a table with others. We may not wish to....... or THEY may not wish to.

While I agree the waste is HAL's problem seeing they created this way of serving, however, that waste would disturb me enough for me to not want to dine there.

I also don't like the idea we would make a reservation for two or four or whatever and when we arrived be expected to share a table with others. We may not wish to....... or THEY may not wish to.

I see now in rereading the menu that only one pasta and one large is "suggested" be ordered by each 2 persons. The key word is "suggested". I'm sure some couples will insist each person order their own choice, especially of entree, since each is paying the extra cost individually and should be allowed their own dinner choice. More wasted food if they will not serve single portions if people insist on making their own choices, but I think there will be a problem at the time of order with 1 entree for 2 people. DH and I would not agree.

The worry about forced seating with strangers seems to be speculation by a few posters, not fact yet. Nothing on the menu mentions seating at communal tables with other diners that I see. It only states "when eating with friends and family". I'd wait and see what actually happens before getting bent out of shape that this is ever going to be the case.

So if I book online, I can get a table for 2 ? At least not share tables!

I just looked at reservations -- I will have to update information.

Yes -- you can pre-book the Canaletto. I don't see why they should not get you a table for 2.

But until others come back and talk about their experiences with the new menu and seating, we can't predict what is actually happening.

I see now in rereading the menu that only one pasta and one large is "suggested" be ordered by each 2 persons. The key word is "suggested". I'm sure some couples will insist each person order their own choice, especially of entree, since each is paying the extra cost individually and should be allowed their own dinner choice. More wasted food if they will not serve single portions if people insist on making their own choices, but I think there will be a problem at the time of order with 1 entree for 2 people. DH and I would not agree.

The worry about forced seating with strangers seems to be speculation by a few posters, not fact yet. Nothing on the menu mentions seating at communal tables with other diners that I see. It only states "when eating with friends and family". I'd wait and see what actually happens before getting bent out of shape that this is ever going to be the case.

Earlier in this thread, I posted about what actually is served in Canellto now. I spoke with someone who tried to have pasta for one and was refused. They went back and forth with the steward advising they did not want a large portion served, they were told that is how is now done and that is what they were brought. A mound of pasta they said was way more than they could eat.

It is not hypothetical or speculation. It is the experience of a well traveled, very frequent cruiser.

Earlier in this thread, I posted about what actually is served in Canellto now. I spoke with someone who tried to have pasta for one and was refused. They went back and forth with the steward advising they did not want a large portion served, they were told that is how is now done and that is what they were brought. A mound of pasta they said was way more than they could eat.

It is not hypothetical or speculation. It is the experience of a well traveled, very frequent cruiser.

I've also reported this. I was on the Oosterdam when this was being tested (aug 18/13 cruise). I mentioned to the waiter about not bringing me huge portions of food. The portions were too big and food was wasted. On top of it the next day (disembarkation) I found out I was charged for 2 people. I'm not talking thru my hat, I've experienced it. I will not be going back while Hal has this menu. I do not care what others do. I just ask that people do respect the word of someone that has tried it but still refuse to believe it's true.

When I said "speculation" I was referring to the fear of being asked to dine at a table with strangers, not portion amount. Others and yourself have talked about being put at larger tables with strangers as if it was fact. The menu says nothing about that and if there has been documentation of that happening I have missed it.

Edited by peaches from georgia

When I said "speculation" I was referring to the fear of being asked to dine at a table with strangers, not portion amount. Others and yourself have talked about being put at larger tables with strangers as if it was fact. The menu says nothing about that and if there has been documentation of that happening I have missed it.

I have heard of pax being asked to join other tables. I made it clear that I was not interested in that. There was no pressure to do that on my cruise. That said it was very early in the evening and I think there was only about 3 of us in there.

I have heard of pax being asked to join other tables. I made it clear that I was not interested in that. There was no pressure to do that on my cruise. That said it was very early in the evening and I think there was only about 3 of us in there.

I'm glad there was no pressure and saying 'no' is all one has to do. That's simple enough. And I'm sure the Canaletto and Food Mgrs will be closely monitoring food waste and portion size- making a profit in each restaurant is their job.

This thread is a Christmas gift to Holland America to keep the masses up in arms about something other than the impending wine policy change.

It won't work ;) I can skip a few Canaletto dinners. There is no point in going on a wine tour if they are going to take my wine to 'save' it until I go home.

The only Canaletto I really enjoyed was on the Prinsendam. Really enjoyed it and I am not a pasta fan - but I was able to order what I liked and DH his pasta. Life was good. I can skip it now thank you.

No biggie - wine is - but if I say that I am 'whining' - so I will 'whine' on their FB page - wherever - it does matter.

I skipped Canaletto before - I can do it again - I'll check it out and yes, if one of us has to 'sacrifice' our choice or if we are going to waste food - we won't be going.

I'm glad there was no pressure and saying 'no' is all one has to do. That's simple enough. And I'm sure the Canaletto and Food Mgrs will be closely monitoring food waste and portion size- making a profit in each restaurant is their job.

I agree. If lots of food goes in the garbage I'm sure things will change. That said, I hate to see that happen.

There were no changes at all to the lunch menu when they switched over the dinner menus during our recent 25 day cruise. :D

Thanks. That is good to know.

Lunch in Pinnacle is delightful.

• 2 weeks later...

I am baffled by the angst with regard to the new menu at Canaletto. Every fine Italian restaurant I have dined in offers several courses each with individual pricing. I would never order both a pasta and then a Main or Entree unless I was sharing. Whether they suggest sharing or not. It is way too much food. I can remember dining at Carnevino in Vegas and having the server look down his nose at me because I did not want to order one of each course on the menu. I am paying the bill an I will order what I please...but no, unless it is a tasting menu it is doubtful that they will make you a smaller portion of your pasta or main course. There is no need to wring your hands with worry over wasting food. Order what you like or don't like. I don't feel the need to partake in every course in the MDR why would Canaletto be any different. Simply passing on the restaurant because of portion size is odd to me as in 17 years of cruising I have many times seen indecisive folks order multiple courses in the MDR or left half eaten plates of food in the Lido. If you don't care for the menu then don't dine there. If the restaurant is such a failure then HAL will discontinue it. Clearly that is not the case as it remains and continues to evolve and do the menus in the PG and MDR. I appreciate the opportunity to enjoy both the familiar as well as the opportunity to try something new.

I love the opportunity to learn about people's personal experiences on HAL and to get tips on making my absolute favorite way to travel even better but I do find it frustrating to see so much time spent lamenting over what has not yet been experienced.