Tasteless desserts on the buffet

missouri mike

I have to agree with you all that the desserts have gone downhill lately....in the 90's when we cruised, we had a Kahlua cake that was to die for!! then it disappeared...

and the Napoleon they used to have every day....now just here and there....:(

Marsha

If I had to hazard a guess, I would guess that the cookies are BAKED on the ship, but brought on to the ship in the form of frozen cookie dough. My husband works in a higher education cafeteria, and all their cookies come in a a frozen case.

I'm not sure, but John said he couldn't give me the recipe because they were not made on the ship.

If I had to hazard a guess, I would guess that the cookies are BAKED on the ship, but brought on to the ship in the form of frozen cookie dough. My husband works in a higher education cafeteria, and all their cookies come in a a frozen case.

I'm not sure, but John said he couldn't give me the recipe because they were not made on the ship.

MADE does not equal baked. The dough could be premade, and simply baked on the ship (hence my comment on it being a frozen cookie dough). The inconsistency in how "done" they are, how fresh they are all week does not lend me to believe that they are all prebaked before being loaded prior to the cruise. Plus I've seen them on trays before.

I wasn't impressed with the chocolate buffet either. I didn't get anything bc to me it didn't even look good. But it looked lovely if that makes sense. Unlike the others I really liked the cheesecake from the steakhouse but I love all different kinds of cheesecake. I wasn't thrilled about wcmc I am sure at one time in my life I would've been. Just not too much of a sweet eater any longer for some reason. Give me sour or savory.

I wasn't impressed with the chocolate buffet either. I didn't get anything bc to me it didn't even look good. But it looked lovely if that makes sense. Unlike the others I really liked the cheesecake from the steakhouse but I love all different kinds of cheesecake. I wasn't thrilled about wcmc I am sure at one time in my life I would've been. Just not too much of a sweet eater any longer for some reason. Give me sour or savory.

Used to try the choc buffet but after a few times realized not worth the calories

I completely agree about the weird texture for the mousse cakes (I personally think it is the same on Rcl, ncl,and celeb for me)- I don't know if it is because all my cruises are in the Caribbean, but it is almost like they up the gelatin level so they maintain their shapes in the humidity but it leaves them all tasting "off". So they look great but something isn't right. I also agree ice cream is the way to go :)

I completely agree about the weird texture for the mousse cakes (I personally think it is the same on Rcl, ncl,and celeb for me)- I don't know if it is because all my cruises are in the Caribbean, but it is almost like they up the gelatin level so they maintain their shapes in the humidity but it leaves them all tasting "off". So they look great but something isn't right. I also agree ice cream is the way to go :)

Kind of like when they color icing for cake decorating. They say its tasteless. I say not.

The worst dessert has got to be the cake pops. Very under cooked. They reminded me of play dough. Also, I have always said that the cheesecake tasted like cheese flavored jello.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Cheesecake in all of its many forms on Carnival not worthy of the name.

Been tasteless since the '80s at least---never had the key lime pie, I will look for it! Thanks!

Another delicious choice is the key lime cheesecake. I had it at lunch (buffet) on the Victory in 2012. Best dessert I have had on Carnival!

Have never found buffet desserts to be good any any of my cruises. The "cheesecake" has always been like souped up gelatin with odd flavoring. Any regular cake is usually very dry or with an off-flavor. Maybe the buffet has the leftover "sample" desserts that you sometimes see at fine-dining. "For display only". :rolleyes:

Ok, lets see, make the dessert mixes off the ship and let the chefs on the ship bake the desserts. Sounds simple to me, increase the quality while still preserving the "Eye Candy". Maybe someone from Carnival will see this forum and take some action for the benefit of customers, employees, and the cruise line itself.