Orlando to Port C

debk68

Hi, is it 12:30 PM on the day of the cruise ? ....... if it is .......

seems that you do not have much time to waste.

If you arrive at 12:30 , probably another 20 to 30 minutes to get your luggage, so that will be close to 1PM. Takes about 1hr to get to the ship from the MCO airport.

I do not know when Freedom will be leaving the port - in our case ( Dec 1, 14) it was 4:30PM. And there is a requirement that you have to board the ship , I think 60 minutes before departure ( not sure about the exact number of minutes - maybe someone will correct me on this).

Anyhow, you do not have much time - probably a limo or a taxi might be the best bet.

Shared shuttle might take too long to load, rental car might take too long as well - but it might work if you are already prepaid , it is easy and fast to get the car ...... but there might be cars in front of you, and you will wait in line for your turn to get out of the airport garage. Then you have to gas the car in Port Canaveral, return the car and get a ride to the ship - it all takes time.

Not sure if RCI transfer could be a better option.

Edited by wieslaw

Arriving 1230 the day you sail? :eek: Read your contract - especially the part where it lists the check-in time (usually 90 minutes prior to sailing -- about 2:30 or 3:00 for most ships). As mentioned above the drive from MCO to PC takes about an hour - you have no time to spare and if your flight is delayed ... :(

Call RCI, explain the situation and ask about booking their transfers and be happy to pay the extra $$ to help ensure you do not MISS THE SHIP.

If that does not work call the airline to see about getting on an earlier flight - the standby or change fees will not be cheap, but neaither is missing the ship.

Good luck - you need it! :)

The RCI shuttle Does Not guarantee to get you to the ship on time. We had a flight delay when we flew in on set sail day once. The shuttle had left, we sat with the nice but totally incompetent RCI shuttle ladies at the airport for 45 minutes while they "looked into things". They finally told us, "looks like you aren't going to make this sailing". I was livid that we wasted 45 valuable minutes waiting for them. We jumped in a cab (think it was around $100 with tip...maybe more...I remember tipping generously) but we got there.

It is probably too late to make changes so I would just hope for the best, get your bag and get in a taxi. Don't make yourself sick worrying about it.

Thanks Everyone, we are doing carry-on luggage, so we can walk right off the plane to the taxi. The Cruiseline recommends the latest flight arrive at 12:30. So barring any delays...

I think we are going to taxi to the Port. We had thought the RCI shuttle would give us a guarantee.

Thanks Everyone, we are doing carry-on luggage, so we can walk right off the plane to the taxi. The Cruiseline recommends the latest flight arrive at 12:30. So barring any delays...

I think we are going to taxi to the Port. We had thought the RCI shuttle would give us a guarantee.

A taxi is going to be VERY expensive.....try prebooking something through Executive VIP limo, Cocoa Beach Shuttle or Travelynx....

All get great reviews on these boards......

Hope this helps.....

12:30PM landing at MCO is cutting it pretty close. I sure hope you make your sailing. If the ship sails at 4:30PM you have to be checked in and onboard by 3:00PM. The trip from MCO to Port Canaveral is approximately one hour. Grab your luggage and hope for the best. Good Luck!

I think we are going to taxi to the Port.

It is a 45-50+ minute drive from MCO to PC -- in a taxi the fare will be well over $100+tip :eek: A little homework should help you to find a car service or shuttle (I agree with the above suggestion of Executive VIP) for less money.

I just love all of you on Cruisecritic! I know I have saved time and money in the past, using information I have received.

After doing my homework on the 3 companies listed above.

Cocoa Beach Shuttle is $59 each way. They have shuttles running through the airport every 30 minutes. And then waiting at the ship

ExecutiveVIP is $120 each way.

Travelynx has not responded to my request in 24 hours.

Not that I am made of $$, but we are leaning toward the taxi there (too many factors that could delay, if the flight is late, the shuttle is behind and has to stop somewhere along the way...) On the departure I think we will use Cocoa Beach.

Thanks again!

You were right.

Our flight was delayed 3.5 hours our of Denver (was supposed to arrive at 12:24). We got into a Taxi at 3:25 and the driver drove 90 mph to get us there, we arrived at 4:07 and the doors were locked. Ship was still there, but TSA wouldn't budge on letting us in. WE MISSED THE SHIP!

We called the emergency number from the time we found out we were going to be late, but they couldn't do anything.

We drove back to the airport $300.oo taxi roundtrip taxi ride (250 plus tip, the guy really tried to get us there, plus there was some hanging around, when we had someone on the phone who was going to call the pier for us, the call dropped so that was that)

The airport in Orlando has horrible inconsistent internet. We tried for 3 hours to get a good signal. When we finally did we came up with 2 options. 1. Get to the next stop, ST Thomas which in the end would have probably run about 2000.00 for the 3 days for airfare, hotel, food, transport etc...

2. Go home, no flights available for the next day to denver from orlando.

3. Then my DH came up with the third option. The cruise is completely nonrefundable, if you don't have the insurance or use them for booking airfare. He called and found a RCI cruise that left the next day out of Fort Lauderdale. He called RCI, and they went against their normal policies, and applied what we paid for the original cruise to the new cruise AND added us to the manifest, which they are not supposed to do so close to the sail time. We still had to pay an additional $600 + dollars, but it was the "cheapest" alternative. We rented a car and drove to Fort Lauderdale. We were lucky to get a car, as we tried every counter no one had one, and ended up at Hertz.

We ended up on the Liberty for 5 days instead of 7. All in all it was a nice cruise, but definitely would have preferred the Freedom's itinerary and I can think of other ways to spend (waste) over $1000.00.

Lesson learned!

Also, at this time FLL only has one runway operational due to the construction. We were delayed over 2 hours coming home as well.

very sorry we were not able to help you avoid the rocks and shoals

but kudos for not name calling TSA or the cruise line for doing what they said would happen . . .

I hope you won't mind when we use your experience as a warning to others in the future.