Onboard credit

Hoveto

Where does OBC appear in the personaliser? I have an email from Cunard but nothing in the actual booking, that I can find anyway.

The only place where I've seen the OBC in print is on the Cunard Booking Confirmation document. If you booked through a TA, you may need to contact them for a copy.

The only place where I've seen the OBC in print is on the Cunard Booking Confirmation document. If you booked through a TA, you may need to contact them for a copy.

Thanks Bob. It's a shareholder OBC so I've got the Carnival email indicating it. On the Princess website it shows in the personaliser.

Hi everyone. I have just received a 'phone call from Cunard thanking me for my letter. If I want to transfer my booking to a new booking to receive the increased OBC then I can but I would lose any preferences on my original booking and would have to start again, i.e. cabin choice, dining etc. I said I couldn't take a chance on losing my cabin so declined their offer. By the way the price has already increased by £100 per person, so at the end of the day I wouldn't have been that much better off and would have taken the chance of losing the cabin. At least they are listening. Still think that they are a bit mean!

Hi everyone. I have just received a 'phone call from Cunard thanking me for my letter. If I want to transfer my booking to a new booking to receive the increased OBC then I can but I would lose any preferences on my original booking and would have to start again, i.e. cabin choice, dining etc. I said I couldn't take a chance on losing my cabin so declined their offer.

We were told the same thing when we talked to our travel agent. He told us that we would lose our original midship cabin location and go to the back of the line in cabin selection. In addition we would lose some of the OBC that we received previously. This would have made it a net loss for us. YMMV:)

Bob

Hi everyone. I have just received a 'phone call from Cunard thanking me for my letter. If I want to transfer my booking to a new booking to receive the increased OBC then I can but I would lose any preferences on my original booking and would have to start again, i.e. cabin choice, dining etc. I said I couldn't take a chance on losing my cabin so declined their offer. By the way the price has already increased by £100 per person, so at the end of the day I wouldn't have been that much better off and would have taken the chance of losing the cabin. At least they are listening. Still think that they are a bit mean!

It appears that Cunard has toughened it's position in the week since my TA advised me that in order to obtain the increased on-board spend I would have to transfer to the new promotion even though all details of my original booking would remain unchanged.

As for the current price of my cruise as a solo traveller, it has increased by £1.

We have today received confirmation and have rebooked with exactly the same cabin, we have incurred an additional cost, but the additional OBC out ways the difference considerably.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

• 2 weeks later...
I have always left the Auto Gratuity in place on my 5 previous cruises with Cunard but I intend to cancel it when on my October 2014 cruise. The reason is as follows. I booked the cruise just before Christmas and paid the full Cunard fare for a balcony thinking, that with the new price structure, I would get a good deal. 5 days later some friends said they would love to join us on the same cruise and asked me to help them with booking online. I booked a balcony grade for them at the slightly lower grade, but only a few cabins away from my own. When booking I discovered that as well as the free parking that I had received, they had also been given $450 each on board spend. I contacted Cunard customer services and asked if I could have an on board spend as well, I was not really surprised when they said NO. This means that I will only ever book last minute in future, will always cancel auto tips, will arrange my own tours and buy my own wine when ashore to avoid Cunard's expensive prices. I calculate that this will result in a loss of revenue from myself and wife of approx. £2000 based on previous spending. I don't consider that to be very good marketing.

Update on latest development with ref to above post.

I am now a happy bunny.

On contacting Cunard customer care by letter, I was contacted within 2 days to be informed that I would now receive the $450 each onboard spend.

This has restored my faith in Cunard Customer care.

Without wishing to cast aspersions as to the effectiveness of the marketing ploys used by Cunard: I have always found that you get what you pay for and if something appears too good to be true, it invariably is.

I learnt that you get what you pay for IF YOU ARE LUCKY!

If Cunard spent half as much on improving the on board experience as they spend on those glossy brochures promising a perfect cruise then the world would be a better and more honest place.

This is Cunard's response to my TA's enquiry about the additional on-board spend being allocated to my cruises booked last month on the QE for this September, and Christmas/New Year.

The additional on-board spend over the two cruises amounts to $900 (£543).

To obtain this, I would need to:

1. Transfer my existing bookings onto the current promotion.

2. Pay the difference between the deposit, £175 per cruise, paid at the time of booking to the usual 15% deposit--an additional £1100 for both cruises.

3. Pay the current increased fares, for my booked categories, one of which relates to a category that has now sold out--- an additional £280 for both cruises.

No wonder Cunard want a, so-called, transfer.

English voyager, am I missing something? If I understand you correctly, someone booking now pays £280 extra for each cruise (totals £560) but receives £543 in onboard spend. If this is correct, then the deal you got is still better than the deal available now. New passengers are, in fact, paying for that onboard spend by a fare hike. In that case I would not expect OBC to be automatically transferred.

English voyager, am I missing something? If I understand you correctly, someone booking now pays £280 extra for each cruise (totals £560) but receives £543 in onboard spend. If this is correct, then the deal you got is still better than the deal available now. New passengers are, in fact, paying for that onboard spend by a fare hike. In that case I would not expect OBC to be automatically transferred.

Apologies for any confusion caused by my earlier post.

The $900 is the additional on-board spend not the total on-board spend available to someone choosing the option of on-board credit.

So, when I booked my two cruises I received an on-board credit of:

September Cruise: $390.

Christmas/New Year Cruise: $420.

If I was to book the same cruises today, and opt for on-board credit, the total on-board spend I would receive ( ie on-board credit + additional on-board spend) would be :

September Cruise: $890

Christmas/New Year: $820.

Hence, in my case, the additional on-board spend of $900.

The increase in fare for my booked category is:

September Cruise: £106

Christmas/New Year: £174.

With regard to the Christmas/New Year cruise, Cunard would charge me a higher price for a category that has now sold out.

Edited by English Voyager

Ignore above question... I have now resolved, got a good deal from Cunard.

Oh & our TA suggested we cancel the auto tips & tip ourselves

Originally Posted by capnpugwash viewpost.gif

Well it's a clever plan but misguided I suggest. If you remove the auto tip, any cash that you give to any crew member will be handed to their supervisors to be included in the tip pool that is otherwise fed from the auto tips. They are duty bound to do this as to not do so puts them in breach of their rules and will probably result in their contract not being renewed.

I recently rang Cunard to ask about the cost of transferring a cruise from August 2014 to November 2014 - Same ship, cabin type etc

Was delighted at the very small price required to change, plus the lady on the phone has given me $100 to spend onboard - I`m naturally thrilled as its only a 2 night cruise from Southampton to Hamburg and I get onboard spend too !! Thank you Cunard :)

Is anybody able to tell me how much tips will be for the 2night mini cruise on the beautiful Queen Mary 2 - Thank you

I recently rang Cunard to ask about the cost of transferring a cruise from August 2014 to November 2014 - Same ship, cabin type etc

Was delighted at the very small price required to change, plus the lady on the phone has given me $100 to spend onboard - I`m naturally thrilled as its only a 2 night cruise from Southampton to Hamburg and I get onboard spend too !! Thank you Cunard :)

Is anybody able to tell me how much tips will be for the 2night mini cruise on the beautiful Queen Mary 2 - Thank you

see

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/life-on-board/amount_gratuity

• 6 months later...