Paddle, pickle ball or tennis?

Sunriseatsea

Just wondering about the court on the Amsterdam: do people play paddle/platform tennis, pickle ball or tennis? Do they use the dense paddle balls, whiffle ball type pickle balls, or regular tennis balls? And what kind of paddles or racquets do they use? We play all 3 and are wondering if we should bring anything. Thanks for any first hand info.

Just wondering about the court on the Amsterdam: do people play paddle/platform tennis, pickle ball or tennis? Do they use the dense paddle balls, whiffle ball type pickle balls, or regular tennis balls? And what kind of paddles or racquets do they use? We play all 3 and are wondering if we should bring anything. Thanks for any first hand info.

We just finished our 75 day Grand Pacific cruise on the MS Amsterdam on December 4. The Hotel Director and Cruise director arranged to have pickle ball lines added to the tennis sport court. They are painted yellow and are very visible. They also ordered pickle balls and pickle ball paddles which should be onboard by world cruise time. I advertised on cruise critic before our cruise to solicit players. We wound up with about 12 players for the cruise. I brought 4 paddles and 8 balls. Another guy brought two paddles and 3 balls. We lost about 4 balls overboard through holes in the netting and 3 cracked. Bring extra balls in case the ship's get lost or broken. The ship also has 4 paddle tennis wooden rackets and regular tennis balls. If you are fairly skilled at tennis, the paddle tennis game is good. In my opinion the court is too small for regular tennis rackets. We played with the paddle tennis rackets and tennis balls, but using pickleball rules on strong head wind days as the wiffle balls were too effected by winds. If you have the room in your luggage I would bring your own pickle ball paddles and balls so if the ships equipment is missing or broken you can still play. Also bring along a small tape measure to set the net height.

• 1 year later...
That is great! Thanks for the info. We are going on the Nieuw Amsterdam Feb 8, 2015 and I am bringing a temp net and have the court reserved for 2 hours per day! Would love to have more players!

Try putting an 'ad' for pickle ball players on your roll call - you might be surprised at the response.

Good Grief! :o More noise overhead the Lido! As if the irritating sound of bouncing basketballs weren't enough! Now more noise! :mad:

Good Grief! :o More noise overhead the Lido! As if the irritating sound of bouncing basketballs weren't enough! Now more noise! :mad:

Never mind, you can always move into an Old People's Home where it is nice and quiet - apart from the TV always on in the corner.:rolleyes: Life often has a little bit of noise attached to it.

Just pop the batteries out of your hearing aids and have someone roll yourself to another portion of the ship... problem solved! :D

Or even easier, let folks enjoy themselves on their vacation.

Good Grief! :o More noise overhead the Lido! As if the irritating sound of bouncing basketballs weren't enough! Now more noise! :mad:[/quote

Could you post a list of acceptable activities on board a ship; bearing in mind that even card games or board games can be accompanied by the sound of people having fun, which you seem to find irritating. :confused:

• 1 year later...

I booked a 22 night cruise from Vancouver to Santiago on the Zaandam in Sept. 2017. I don't like the gym or jogging for my exercise. I like to play ping pong and pickleball to get a sweat.

Does anyone know what the ping pong area is like? How many tables are there, and are they in a sheltered area? Is there a paddleball or pickleball court? Pickleball is a fast growing sport among seniors where I live. I got interested in it after playing paddleball on a previous cruise (Princess line). It would be great to be able to play pickleball on this ship!

OMG. Why not walk around 24/7 with ear plugs on.. you obviously are most likely annoyed by music, talking or laughing, children giggling, ....maybe a different cabin is appropriate. :confused::confused: