Solo on 11 night?

ch7012

I am booked on an 11 night out of Miami in February. The person I was traveling with is no longer able to go. I have never cruised solo but have traveled extensively for work - a lot of the time alone.

For anyone that has traveled solo and done an 11 night - is there anything I should consider on an 11 night that would make it difficult/awkward to cruise solo compared to say a 7 night?

Curious what I would be in for if I decide to go solo. Any tips would be appreciated!

thank you in advance!

I am booked on an 11 night out of Miami in February. The person I was traveling with is no longer able to go. I have never cruised solo but have traveled extensively for work - a lot of the time alone.

For anyone that has traveled solo and done an 11 night - is there anything I should consider on an 11 night that would make it difficult/awkward to cruise solo compared to say a 7 night?

Curious what I would be in for if I decide to go solo. Any tips would be appreciated!

thank you in advance!

I have done a couple of TA's that were 14 or 15 days long, a canal cruise that was 15 days, and a couple of 10 & 11 day trips as a solo, and the biggest difference was that you will probably have more sea days on the longer trips than you do on the shorter 7 day trips. Some people like port intensive cruises while I prefer the mix of ports and sea days. It gives me more time to relax as the sea days are very relaxing for me. If you enjoy the sea days, I would go for it, if you don't like the sea days, then give the itinerary a look over and see if you think it is something you would enjoy.

Hi:).....just have fun and enjoy those 11 nights:D......

I am going solo in February for 3 nights followed by 8 nights so that is

11 too;)

I have been cruising solo for over 10 years......11 nights is 4 nights

better than 7:D

Oh, see if there is a roll call for your cruise. It can be a really nice

way to meet other folks:)

Edited by Lois R

thank you in advance!

I have done a 7 night (decades ago) and an 11 night (this past year) and the 11 night cruise was much much better. I don't know if that was due to my age, the cruise line, or the type of cruise (port intensive vs transatlantic), but I had no awkwardness or difficulties on a longer cruise solo.

I would recommend choosing traditional fixed dinner seating. I met many different people throughout the day but it was nice to know you would meetup with the same people at dinner every day rather than being seated alone. That is unless you would prefer sitting quietly by yourself .

I've done several 7-nighters solo, and a couple 10-nights - by far the 10-nighters are superior. I'm boarding a 7-night w/hubby next Sunday, and will be booking an 11-nighter onboard as a solo trip (he can barely tolerate 7 nights, which is why I cruise solo quite often).

Honestly, as a solo, the only difference I see between going for 7 nights vs 11 is you have 4 more glorious days/nights to enjoy your cruise! I'd love to do the world voyage (114 or so days) some year after I retire, and that will be solo as well.....the longer the better is how I look at it. On a cruise there are interesting people to meet if you'd like, or you can keep to yourself and not really bother with many other people....it's entirely your choice!

Sue/WDW1972

Nieuw Amsterdam 1/5/14

DCL Dream 11/7/14

Thank you everyone!! I usually prefer sea days - but this would be my first Southern Caribbean cruise and am looking forward to the ports this time!

I'm excited (and a little nervous - in a good way!) at the possibilities!!! Thank you again!!!

I would recommend choosing traditional fixed dinner seating.

This may not be possible, as it appears that OP's cruise will be on the Norwegian Sun. Is this correct?

I took an 11 night solo cruise on the Norwegian Dawn in 2006, and the dining room hostess always looked at me as if I had three heads when I asked to be seated with others, and I wound up eating most meals by myself. OP, I hope you like eating by yourself.

This may not be possible, as it appears that OP's cruise will be on the Norwegian Sun. Is this correct?

I took an 11 night solo cruise on the Norwegian Dawn in 2006, and the dining room hostess always looked at me as if I had three heads when I asked to be seated with others, and I wound up eating most meals by myself. OP, I hope you like eating by yourself.

Yes it is the NCL Sun. I've traveled quite a bit for work and am fine with eating by myself - I've done it often while on the road. Of course if the opportunity presents itself to meet and eat with others I'm all for that!

Yes it is the NCL Sun. I've traveled quite a bit for work and am fine with eating by myself - I've done it often while on the road. Of course if the opportunity presents itself to meet and eat with others I'm all for that!

If you're comfortable with this aspect the rest is easy. The idea of sitting in the dining room alone is often the main stumbling block for those considering sailing solo. Some fear it so relegate themselves to the buffet while others prefer it to avoid the small talk with strangers. Like yourself I can go either way but with solo dining I found that there can be awkward moments depending on how the staff treat you and react. If you can just let those go and carry on then you should be fine.

Definitely do check in regularly and participate in the Cruise Critic roll roll. Also participating in the ship's trivia contests, etc. is good opportunity to meet and introduce to yourself to other cruisers.

The idea of sitting in the dining room alone is often the main stumbling block for those considering sailing solo. Some fear it so relegate themselves to the buffet

I never feared eating by myself in the MDR. I merely disliked it intensely. But it was far preferable to eating in the buffet, where, if after you sit down and realize that you forgot to get a spoon or napkin or something, or if you want to get a second glass of water, there is no way to keep the waitstaff from clearing away your dishes as soon as you got up from your chair.

I know that people suggest leaving a book or magazine on the table to indicate that you'll be back. It does not always work.

I never feared eating by myself in the MDR. I merely disliked it intensely.

I know what you mean - some people assume that if you avoid something it must be because you're afraid of it, but that's not so. I too dislike eating alone in a dining room or restaurant, not because I am afraid people will think poorly or me or stare at me, and not because I fear being alone.....I just don't like sitting at a dining table by myself. It's just not enjoyable for me, whether at home, in a restaurant, or on a cruise ship. If I have to eat alone, I'd rather be able to take my shoes off or put my feet up at least (which is what I do at home when I eat alone), and certainly not adhere to any dress code.

thank you in advance!

I recently cruised solo on the Island Princess for ll nights.I have been on over 65 cruises but this was my first solo cruise. I chose anytime dining. I ate in the MDR almost every meal and asked to share a table. I had positive experiences and met many nice people (solo and couples). Most of the conversations were about cruising experiences. There were daily meetings for solo cruisers, which I did not attend. I met a lot of solo cruisers attending activities such as trivia and scrabble. I would cruise solo again. Go with a postive attitude and enjoy your cruise.

Evelyn

I ate in the MDR almost every meal and asked to share a table.

But the OP will be on the Norwegian Sun, and asking to share a table won't accomplish anything.

calliopecruiser, while I thoroughly dislike sitting by myself in the MDR on a cruiseship, I have no problem eating by myself at home or in a restaurant. It's just that, to me, part of the fun of being on a cruise is sharing meals and conversation with strangers. I booked the 11 night cruise on the Norwegian Dawn directly with NCL less than two weeks ahead of time. I asked about first and second sitting and was told about freestyle, which meant that you just show up whenever you want. I asked about being seated with other people, and I was assured that that happens all the time. I just had to say that I wanted to sit with other people, and it would happen.

The NCL employee who told me that was completely in the wrong.

What's funny is that when I took an NCL cruise with a friend in 2007, every single time we went to the dining room, we were asked if we were willing to share a table, something that I was never asked when I was on the Dawn. We always said yes, but except for one breakfast, no one ever shared a table with us. Even though we were willing to share a table, it seemed that no one else wanted to. I eventually figured out that NCL tends to be booked by people who don't want to have anything to do with pesky strangers.

On that cruise, I encouraged my friend to go to the grandparents tea party while I participated in a Scrabble tournament. There were lots of grandparents on the cruise, but my friend told me later on that only one other person showed up, a man who was brought there by his daughter, and he complained that he didn't want to be there, and after his daughter left, he took off. So my friend had tea and cookies at a very large table with the hostess and had a good time.

Have not been on NCL in yrs. but am booked for Alaska. You realize your pricing will change? Probably double. Check it out before date of final payment. NCL is tough on solo cruisers. No assigned dining. Did TA solo on Jewel once. Used to book a different restaurant daily at 8AM.They had a table with all the menus out and agent to book them.

• 2 weeks later...

I met a retired man on a Carnival ship a few years ago (he was assigned to my dining table). Bill actually lived on cruise ships. He would book all of the different cruise ships in the Carnival group whether it be Holland America, Curad, Princess, etc several months in advance. He would get off one ship and get on another at the same port. A lot of his cruises were B2B2B2B2B2B. He was on the 4th of his 6th week B2B on my ship. He always booked the cheapest cabin and was always upgraded free.

He said that it was cheaper than living in a house. No car insurance, house insurance, real estate taxes, groceries, laundry, etc.

If he wanted a change, he would just fly to another port city somewhere in the world and start some more B2B's?

He was quite interesting. GMA did a story on him once.