Share your Carnival GoPro Videos

Here is a link to the video that my husband created of one of our Carnival Paradise cruises to Cozumel. It was shot with a GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition. Hope you guys enjoy!

thanks for sharing great video!! looks like you had a great trip!!

We are leaving in exactly a month and just purchased the GoPro Hero 3+ Black Edition and I am SUPER excited to use it. We purchased it about a month ago and are waiting until the cruise to really use it. Will post a video after and thanks for great tips on what to do and what not to do!

We are leaving in exactly a month

and just purchased the GoPro Hero 3+ Black Edition and I am SUPER excited to use it.

We purchased it about a month ago and are waiting until the cruise to really use it.

No no no...you should be climbing that learning curve in the next month

before you go on the cruise.

I bought mine while on the cruise, had to read the manual like mad

and get up to some kinda speed quickly.

Don't do it that way. You have a month to go

Put the time to good use. ;)

Start using it now: there's lots to learn.

You should be experimenting like mad, at this stage

so that when you're on the cruise you won't be making silly mistakes

and shall already be familiar with changing settings, etc.

Here's a first attempt while on our cruise

MegaYachts in St.Thomas.

Edited by Aplmac

You can charge the gopro from any USB outlet, and the way I see it I do not need any additional wall brick USB adaptors. I can charge it at night while I use the iPad, then the iPad during the day when I would be using the gopro. I can also just plug it into my computer to charge.

I have a couple of gopro pet peeves that I can't seem to get over. These are not a critique of individual videos, but something I have noticed among the many videos I have watched.

1. Pole mount over-use: The pole mount is a cool tool when used properly, but over use is easy to do. I see too many videos of folks using the pole mount when walking around in a port area right off the ship. Use the pole mount at a time when most people would not be doing what you are doing, like parasailing, rafting, zip lining, or something else that is not a normal situation that everyone else on the cruise would be doing.

2. Random announcements of ships in a port: I am not sure what causes folks to have the desire to announce the ship and port they are in while taking video from the side of the cruise ship. If you do this, add it over the video later, or use a character generator plugin to add it in text. Usually when done in a windy port the audio sucks and it sounds bad.

Other than these two items, the go pro can be an amazing tool to capture video, stills, and especially timelapse sequences.

Timelapse sequences are great if they are set up correctly. On a cruise ship use a suction cup mount and remember the 170 degree angle that the gopro has. Use this wide angle to grab just a bit of the ship set against the part that will change. Sailaway is a great time to get timelapse, especially off a balcony. Most people will be away from the railing doing other things so they won't be around to be in your shot.

Here is a timelapse I did to show how to set up the shot, notice most of the picture is OFF the ship, but the scene is framed by the balcony and railing:

Other than that, the basics of wide-angle photography apply. Don't use it to cram more features into a shot, but use it to get good close up shots of a subject and use it to pull more background behind them.

But the biggest tip for gopro users is to go use it. It does no good sitting on the shelf, they are great little cameras, especially with the waterproof housings. I have used mine underwater, and to capture lightning during thunderstorms with amazing results.

Like it!! what was your time lapse speed? and did you use the suction cup to the window of your stateroom?

Lonnie

I'll be buying my GoPro while on the cruise,

without access to any laptop or other USB outlet.

I have no option but to charge batteries from mains outlet in the cabin.

I'll charge that battery initially via Wife's iPad white wall-charger thing

once I get back to the ship for lunch or thereabouts.

How long will that battery take to charge up full?

I may buy a spare battery at the same time

if available at Boolchand's on Front Street, in Philipsburg, Sint Maarten.

After charging the first battery I can go play, while the second battery charges

but I need some indication of how long that First Charge will take.

I picked up a charging kit on amazon. 2 batteries, wall charger, car charger for 19.00 with free shipping Now have 3 batteries and a way to keep them all charged

Lonnie

APLMAC--ok, first of all you will need to take a look at what mounts and accessories you want to buy before you get it. You will find that the costs builds up as you add the mounts and accessories.

To view your video while cruising you will need to get the LCD Backpack, but only have it on and use it when you want to see what you recorded or need to see what you are recording. It drains the battery quickly--and remember to turn it off when not in use and attached. As for charging the batteries the wall charger is ideal, but your computer's USB port will charge the camera's battery.

I have the head strap, Jaws flex clamp, tripod mount, The Frame, LCD backpack and battery backpack, wall charger. I am looking to get a GoPole, the pole/handlebar mount, suction cup, and the wrist mount. Having troubles finding them in the store and don't want to pay $20-40 shipping and handling and the US exchange by ordering online..

You will also find as you add more mounts and accessories you need a case to store them, so if your cheap and wanna do it the easy way ziplock bags for each mount (LCD and Battery back packs come with extended skeleton/waterproof back doors).

I love my GoPro, I take it everywhere with me......

I have the Black. Use it with the Iphone App and you can see all your pictures and videos on your phone.

Here is a link to the video that my husband created of one of our Carnival Paradise cruises to Cozumel. It was shot with a GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition. Hope you guys enjoy!

Great video! Seeing videos like this is what made me finally break down and get a Hero 3+ (with a bunch of extras).

Can't wait to get some video of our Valor cruise coming up SOON! :)

Will be taking my GoPro on the Magic in April.

We do have a balcony so any tips for use.

I bought my Silver 3+ while on a cruise about a month ago.

I found that I could leave the camera mounted on the box it came in/ON

and use that as a tripod-base for what turned out to be fairly solid stable shots.

Your balcony will have a rail. The top of that rail will have a flat strip about four inches wide.

I used that flat strip on rails all over the ship, to plunk the camera and its box down on

and than gently,smoothly paaaan my way across various shots.

I was kinda amazed at how well this simple technique worked! ;)

...as in...

See the rail at the end of the shot?

Yes it looked kinda silly walking around the ship with a small camera mounted on a biggish box

but several people came up to me to ask about the whole thing

so it's a conversation starter as well as being practical!

Holding the camera in my hand is nowhere as stable, btw..

as I've now discovered!

Back home, I've made the box-rig even better, more stable

by adding about 3 lbs. of sand IN the base of the box (about half-full)

-that sand in two separate small plastic bags...you'll see how..

Edited by Aplmac

Aplmac if you don't mind me asking, was the go pro significantly cheaper in St. Maartin? I am thinking about getting one when we go in September but if it is not that big of a savings I would rather get it before my cruise so that I am comfortable with its use before we go.

Aplmac if you don't mind me asking, was the go pro significantly cheaper in St. Maartin?

I am thinking about getting one when we go in September

but if it is not that big of a savings I would rather get it before my cruise

so that I am comfortable with its use before we go.

I paid USD 299 for the basic Silver 3+ package

but I also threw in the suction-cup mount, and the duo of tripod mounts

- the guy at Boolchand's in Sint Maarten threw in a Micro-SD card

and I got the whole bundle for USD 400. I was happy, he was happy.

I reckon these values above might be regular U.S. recommended retail

but what the heck, this boy needed a new toy

and I only live once!

Edited by Aplmac

Just back from the Carnival Freedom on Sunday. It was fantastic!

Let me start by saying that this was my 8th cruise (5th on Carnival) and it was by far the best. Carnival has really stepped up their game and placed thought into many areas.

All my pics are on a go pro video.

Here is the link

Fun thread!

We are in love with our GoPro.

Our imagination (below) and miracle ship tours were filmed using a go pro (in my signature).

Carnival Miracle video tour:

Edited by Sheebah

• 2 weeks later...

Just got off the Legend March 23rd. As some of you may know it recently got out of dry dock with many additions such as Waterworks, Green Thunder and other cosmetic enhancements.

Here is the video I finished featuring Green Thunder, Waterworks and the Twister slide. It is also a collection of our time spent on the Lido Deck.

What aggravates me is I used music in this video that is not copyrighted and YouTube is saying there is matched third party content right now. I disputed it as I got the music off Jamendo.com which is free music sharing for personal use and popular with the GoPro community. All my other videos that feature music from that site have not had any problems. So you may need to view on non-mobile devices until they clear this up.

Enjoy!