Share your Carnival GoPro Videos

I'll probably buy one in Sint Maarten in Feb. 2014 when we pass thru there on Carnival VALOR

so first use will be on the ship, provided I can charge the batteries somehow, on board.

I don't carry a laptop, so it'll have to be a wall-charger somehow.

Does anyone know?...Can I use my iPad wall-charger/USB converter thingy

to hook up with the GoPro USB battery-charger cable?

Dang nabbit all...and I bought a GoPro Hero3 two weeks before I left for my cruise and stay in NOLa...alas, I didn't get anything except the "That's Amore" singing/dancing in the dining room......got the cemetery tour in NOLa....

next cruise I will because I now have more mounts and accessories...

APLMAC--ok, first of all you will need to take a look at what mounts and accessories you want to buy before you get it. You will find that the costs builds up as you add the mounts and accessories.

To view your video while cruising you will need to get the LCD Backpack, but only have it on and use it when you want to see what you recorded or need to see what you are recording. It drains the battery quickly--and remember to turn it off when not in use and attached. As for charging the batteries the wall charger is ideal, but your computer's USB port will charge the camera's battery.

I have the head strap, Jaws flex clamp, tripod mount, The Frame, LCD backpack and battery backpack, wall charger. I am looking to get a GoPole, the pole/handlebar mount, suction cup, and the wrist mount. Having troubles finding them in the store and don't want to pay $20-40 shipping and handling and the US exchange by ordering online..

You will also find as you add more mounts and accessories you need a case to store them, so if your cheap and wanna do it the easy way ziplock bags for each mount (LCD and Battery back packs come with extended skeleton/waterproof back doors).

I love my GoPro, I take it everywhere with me......

Edited by misguidedangel

I'll probably buy one in Sint Maarten in Feb. 2014 when we pass thru there on Carnival VALOR

so first use will be on the ship, provided I can charge the batteries somehow, on board.

I recently got the silver hero 3- LOVE IT! It comes with a USB charger so you can use your iPad wall part. Unsure why the camera doesn't come with a part that connects to the wall...

APLMAC--ok, first of all you will need to take a look at what mounts and accessories you want to buy before you get it. You will find that the costs builds up as you add the mounts and accessories.

As long as your computer has a way to read a MicroSD card you can view the video you have shot. There is also the GoPro studio to edit your video, and a App for your phone to CONTROL the GoPro like a remote control.

I have the head strap, Jaws flex clamp, tripod mount, The Frame, LCD backpack and battery backpack. I am looking to get a GoPole, the pole/handlebar mount, suction cup, and the wrist mount. Having troubles finding them in the store and don't want to pay $20-40 shipping and handling and the US exchange by ordering online..

I love my GoPro, I take it everywhere with me......

Thanks for all that.

I've been researching it for some time now

but..

Can I use my iPad wall-charger/USB converter thingy

I'll be needing to charge the battery when I get back to the ship

using the mains outlet in the cabin.

I recently got the silver hero 3- LOVE IT!

It comes with a USB charger so you can use your iPad wall part.

Unsure why the camera doesn't come with a part that connects to the wall...

Because they can charge you FORTY BUCKS

for their wall-charger part that does the same thing the iPad wall-charger/USB converter does? :D

Edited by Aplmac

Yes, you can charge with the wall-charger usb converter...

You can charge the gopro from any USB outlet, and the way I see it I do not need any additional wall brick USB adaptors. I can charge it at night while I use the iPad, then the iPad during the day when I would be using the gopro. I can also just plug it into my computer to charge.

I have a couple of gopro pet peeves that I can't seem to get over. These are not a critique of individual videos, but something I have noticed among the many videos I have watched.

1. Pole mount over-use: The pole mount is a cool tool when used properly, but over use is easy to do. I see too many videos of folks using the pole mount when walking around in a port area right off the ship. Use the pole mount at a time when most people would not be doing what you are doing, like parasailing, rafting, zip lining, or something else that is not a normal situation that everyone else on the cruise would be doing.

2. Random announcements of ships in a port: I am not sure what causes folks to have the desire to announce the ship and port they are in while taking video from the side of the cruise ship. If you do this, add it over the video later, or use a character generator plugin to add it in text. Usually when done in a windy port the audio sucks and it sounds bad.

Other than these two items, the go pro can be an amazing tool to capture video, stills, and especially timelapse sequences.

Timelapse sequences are great if they are set up correctly. On a cruise ship use a suction cup mount and remember the 170 degree angle that the gopro has. Use this wide angle to grab just a bit of the ship set against the part that will change. Sailaway is a great time to get timelapse, especially off a balcony. Most people will be away from the railing doing other things so they won't be around to be in your shot.

Here is a timelapse I did to show how to set up the shot, notice most of the picture is OFF the ship, but the scene is framed by the balcony and railing:

Other than that, the basics of wide-angle photography apply. Don't use it to cram more features into a shot, but use it to get good close up shots of a subject and use it to pull more background behind them.

But the biggest tip for gopro users is to go use it. It does no good sitting on the shelf, they are great little cameras, especially with the waterproof housings. I have used mine underwater, and to capture lightning during thunderstorms with amazing results.

Yes, you can charge with the wall-charger usb converter...
Nice to have this confirmed!

Thanks.

That makes it a GO from the minute I get back on the ship!

Wife already has an iPad with the necessary wall-charger.

I'll be filming within a few hrs. Sweet!

Hubby just got one of those weird looking helicopter things to put his on.

We won't be bringing that on the ship, though! It's pretty neat.

Boys and their toys!

Ain't a THING wrong with your husband! :D

Edited by Aplmac

You can charge the gopro from any USB outlet, and the way I see it I do not need any additional wall brick USB adaptors.

I can charge it at night while I use the iPad, then the iPad during the day when I would be using the gopro.

I can also just plug it into my computer to charge. ===> When I get back home, yes.

I'll be buying my GoPro while on the cruise,

without access to any laptop or other USB outlet.

I have no option but to charge batteries from mains outlet in the cabin.

I'll charge that battery initially via Wife's iPad white wall-charger thing

once I get back to the ship for lunch or thereabouts.

How long will that battery take to charge up full?

I may buy a spare battery at the same time

if available at Boolchand's on Front Street, in Philipsburg, Sint Maarten.

After charging the first battery I can go play, while the second battery charges

but I need some indication of how long that First Charge will take.

Edited by Aplmac

Nice to have this confirmed!

Thanks.

That makes it a GO from the minute I get back on the ship!

Wife already has an iPad with the necessary wall-charger.

I'll be filming within a few hrs. Sweet!

Awesome! The good news is that your ipad brick outlet charges at a higher voltage than most other brick outlets, speeding up the charge...

I'll be buying my GoPro while on the cruise,

without access to any laptop or other USB outlet.

I have no option but to charge batteries from mains outlet in the cabin.

Will charge that battery initially via Wife's iPad white wall-charger thing

once I get back to the ship for lunch or thereabouts.

How long will that battery take to charge up full?

May buy a spare battery at the same time

if available at Boolchand's on Front Street, in Philipsburg, Sint Maarten.

After charging the first battery, I can go play while the second battery charges

but I need some indication of how long that First Charge will take.

If I remember correctly, around 2 hours... I have around 4 batteries that I rotate around, so I may be off by half an hour either way.

Yes, the USB charger for a Apple product will work; however, it is one to one only, the wall charger for GoPro will charge two at the same time and in considerably less time. I originally bought the Apple charger, but found that when I had the battery back pack on it pretty will took four hours to charge it, so when I wanted to use it with the battery back pack, well, too bad....therefore, I bought the GoPro charger that can do both....Now if you buy two batteries, then no worries, take one battery out and put a freshly charged battery in and charge both up later when done.

One other wee small thing I found out about using the battery when the camera is new is it takes at least two or three full discharges of the battery to get the full two hour charge. I read that in the Online help from the web page...

1. Pole mount over-use: The pole mount is a cool tool when used properly, but over use is easy to do. I see too many videos of folks using the pole mount when walking around in a port area right off the ship. Use the pole mount at a time when most people would not be doing what you are doing, like parasailing, rafting, zip lining, or something else that is not a normal situation that everyone else on the cruise would be doing.

If they're just using the video to document THEIR cruise and are not trying to make some uber cool GoPro video, then I really don't see the harm, the pole mount lets you be in the video which is not easy to do with a regular camera.

If they're just using the video to document THEIR cruise and are not trying to make some uber cool GoPro video, then I really don't see the harm, the pole mount lets you be in the video which is not easy to do with a regular camera.

I know, this is why it merely annoys me. It does not make a video unwatchable.

The difference between the folks that use the pole mount and me is they are using theirs and I am watching mine collect dust on the charger :)