Stollen served at breakfast on Christmas day - Recipe

Australian family

I had some Stollen on the Oosterdam 12 months ago for breakfast on Christmas, it was really nice, so much so that I asked for a second piece.

Just wondering if anyone has the recipe? I did check Joannies recipes and not on there.

I could ask my husband when he gets home from work. He was a proffesional baker for many many years and he probably knows that recipe by heart (those weeks before Christmas and Easter were hard ones, stol stol and more stol....working all through the nights).

Though I think you will have to make the "amandelspijs" (which is in the middle of the stol) yourself, it is hard to come by outside of Europe.

Edited by monina01

If you go to your local Aldi, they have Stollen & very delicious made in Germany & complete with marzipan thru it!

it shouldn't have marzipan through it, you use marzipan mostly for smoothing on a pastry, not to put in it.

In a stol you put almond ...well we call it "almond spijs". Not sure if that is the same as almond paste? But definately different that marzipan :)

it shouldn't have marzipan through it, you use marzipan mostly for smoothing on a pastry, not to put in it.

In a stol you put almond ...well we call it "almond spijs". Not sure if that is the same as almond paste? But definately different that marzipan :)

I think when the label is translated to English, they usually just call it marzipan. But you are correct, it's a different consistency.

I think the issue is there is just no word for it in English.

It seems that almond spijs is almond paste. From reading various recipes some (traditional) are made with a fruit and almond paste filling and others have marzipan. Here is a recipe that seems to be traditional. http://www.weekendbakery.com/posts/our-perfect-christmas-stollen/

Enjoy! :)

Not quite true. We Germans have Stollen in all varieties. The most basic Butterstollen has just that - loads of butter in the dough and the dried fruits and nuts. Then you have all kinds of inventive fillings from Marzipan (which is an almond paste in different consistencies), Persipan, Jams, etc. I have seen Poppyseed filling, too - which is one of my favourite. :)

We are not fortunate to have ALDI on the Westcoast of the US, but as a hint: Trader Joes is owned by ALDI and has many German items year round and definitely Stollen at Christmas. Also Lebkuchen and the like. There is also a store called "World Market" here in the LA area, which sells international goodies, albeit I always cringe how much it is compared to what I pay at home. :eek:

To the OP: I can send several recipies, but not sure they would be what you tasted. Our family used to bake these from scratch every year and really eat all December and hand out as presents, too.

<snip>

We are not fortunate to have ALDI on the Westcoast of the US, but as a hint: Trader Joes is owned by ALDI and has many German items year round and definitely Stollen at Christmas. Also Lebkuchen and the like. There is also a store called "World Market" here in the LA area, which sells international goodies, albeit I always cringe how much it is compared to what I pay at home. :eek:

I will check our local Trader Joe to see if they have any stollen. I haven't been there lately. Thank you for the 'tip'.

To the OP: I can send several recipies, but not sure they would be what you tasted. Our family used to bake these from scratch every year and really eat all December and hand out as presents, too.

PLEASE post the recipe.

I'd so appreciate if you don't mind doing so. :)

I will check our local Trader Joe to see if they have any stollen. I haven't been there lately. Thank you for the 'tip'.

PLEASE post the recipe.

I'd so appreciate if you don't mind doing so. :)

Will do gladly. When I get home tonight, I will dig them out. :)

Not quite true. We Germans have Stollen in all varieties. The most basic Butterstollen has just that - loads of butter in the dough and the dried fruits and nuts. Then you have all kinds of inventive fillings from Marzipan (which is an almond paste in different consistencies), Persipan, Jams, etc. I have seen Poppyseed filling, too - which is one of my favourite. :)

I guess us Dutchies have different stol then :D I thought stol was stol, all the same as ours.

And yes, we have them at both Easter and Christmas. :) Yum!

I usually buy our Stollen from World Market. I love the stuff. Unfortunately I'm a cook and not a baker so I don't think I would have the patience to make it myself.

Looks like World Market has it marked down for after Christmas clearance.

http://www.worldmarket.com/search.do?query=stollen

Edited by sherilyn70

We have three Aldi's within about 5 miles of here. One store was totally out of stollen, while the other had plenty of all three varieties: butter, cherry, and marzipan. The checker at one store said a bakery in the area would buy the Aldi's stollen and sell it at their store.

We have three Aldi's within about 5 miles of here. One store was totally out of stollen, while the other had plenty of all three varieties: butter, cherry, and marzipan. The checker at one store said a bakery in the area would buy the Aldi's stollen and sell it at their store.

One Aldi's is just 3 miles from us. But the other one is an hour's drive away.

Last year they had English White Cheddar cheese with chocolate at Christmas that we loved. None this year.