Lobster in Blu?

cheriberi

My DH & I will be staying in Aqua class for the first time on our upcoming Summit cruise and wondered if lobster is usually available in Blu at any time during the week? On our past cruises lobster was served in the MDR on one formal night. We will not be packing any formal clothes, so dining in the MDR on formal night will not be an option. Will I be able to order it in Blu if it is on the MDR menu, or would I have to order it from room service that night? I do look forward to the lobster!

We always hesitate to call that stuff they serve on cruise ships...lobster, but I guess it is technically a warm water lobster tail. We just returned (a week ago) from two weeks on the Eclipse where we dined in Blu. They did serve lobster once during the cruise (just like in the MDR) and it was presented a bit differently then the usual MDR presentation. In Blu, it was in some kind of tasty broth (I do not remember the exact details) and they also came around with drawn butter which nicely added to the caloric count of the day. This was our third cruise in Blu, and we were amazed at how much everything has improved with their menu and presentation. Perhaps some of this was related to the talented Blu Chef on the Eclipse....but part of what due to the recently revamped Blu menus.

We sometimes like to suggest that those cruising out of Port Everglades, and spending the pre-cruise night in a local hotel consider having dinner at Kelly's Landing (its on 17th Street about 1 block from the Embassy Suites). That inexpensive restaurant specializes in New England seafood (much of it flown-in) and always has real Maine Lobster. You get one or two of those "bugs" for dinner and you might not even want to order the stuff they have on the ship.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I so agree with Hiltner -- the cold water lobster is much superior to the warm water ones.

In the past the lobster in Blu was prepared with a tangerine reduction. Our fall cruises were on Century, which doesn't offer Aqua Class, so we haven't dined in Blu since last spring. Hiltner describes the lobster in Blu as being served in a tasty broth. I don't remember the tangerine reduction as being particularly "brothy." Has the Blu lobster preparation changed recently?

When we were on the Reflection, they served a lobster meat appetizer in Blu. It was Maine lobster and it was real good. Tasted like Rhode Island or Maine lobster. The entree they served that they called "lobster" needed a ton of butter to give it some taste.

I do agree that the chef in Blu on the Eclipse was outstanding. Although the menus may be identical, the presentation and sauces were superior at this Blu.

Had the lobster in Blu in early Dec. It was listed as warm water lobster. Mine was rather rubbery. Not something that I would put on my do not miss or must have list. That night at a bar someone else that dined in Blu made a unsolicited remark about her lobster being rubbery. I have had the soft shell crab 5 times on various ships. The first time it was fantastic. The next time was rather greasy, then it was over fried and dried out, the next mostly breading and the last time it just tasted like a pile of spoiled rotten seafood.

The next time in Blu I will pass on both the lobster and soft shell crab.

🎩🍸🎉

When they serve lobster, they always have either tornadoes of beef with a mushroom sauce, prime ribs of beef, lamb chops, or chateaubriand. Forget the lobster and go for the meat. All the beef on a recent B2B on Reflection exceeded my expectations.

Had the lobster in Blu in early Dec. It was listed as warm water lobster. Mine was rather rubbery. Not something that I would put on my do not miss or must have list. That night at a bar someone else that dined in Blu made a unsolicited remark about her lobster being rubbery. I have had the soft shell crab 5 times on various ships. The first time it was fantastic. The next time was rather greasy, then it was over fried and dried out, the next mostly breading and the last time it just tasted like a pile of spoiled rotten seafood.

The next time in Blu I will pass on both the lobster and soft shell crab.

🎩🍸🎉

You might want to try it one more time if you are in Blu. I had the soft shell crabs in the Blu on the November TA and IMO they were excellent.

I so agree with Hiltner -- the cold water lobster is much superior to the warm water ones.

In the past the lobster in Blu was prepared with a tangerine reduction. Our fall cruises were on Century, which doesn't offer Aqua Class, so we haven't dined in Blu since last spring. Hiltner describes the lobster in Blu as being served in a tasty broth. I don't remember the tangerine reduction as being particularly "brothy." Has the Blu lobster preparation changed recently?

DW and I have been scratching our heads trying to remember exactly how they prepared that "warm water lobster tail" and I guess it was just not memorable enough to take up space in our senior minds. But I remember it was actually served to us in a large soup-bowl with some kind of watery sauce/reduction that was not too memorable (it could have been mango or something similar). The our waiter stopped by with a large bowl of drawn butter which we welcomed..so in the end it was similar to the lousy lobster tail one gets in the dining room. We are still waiting to see live Maine Lobster on Celebrity ships (we would pay extra for that). Fortunately, our cruise embarked out of Port Everglades so we did enjoy real lobster (we are talking whole live Maine Lobster tossed into the pot) at Kelly's Landing. We never fish an opportunity to go to Kelly's the night before a cruise out Port Everglades because we know it will be the only true fresh fish or lobster dinner we will have...until after our cruise :)

Hank

We dine at a specialty restaurant the night they serve "lobster". They will probably never serve fresh Maine lobster as nearly most seafood and it really does not enhance the flavor.

There was one seafood item that was surprisingly good. It was the Maine lobster bisque in Murano. It was really delicious.

Despite the fact that we live in Ohio, we've discovered the joys of enjoying lobster dockside in Maine. Anything else is just frozen stuff and we don't expect anything more. Having said that, I do enjoy a nice lobster tail on the last formal night. I just lower my expectations.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

When they serve lobster, they always have either tornadoes of beef with a mushroom sauce, prime ribs of beef, lamb chops, or chateaubriand. Forget the lobster and go for the meat. All the beef on a recent B2B on Reflection exceeded my expectations.

We found the the meat to be very disappointing in Blu. i actually asked my husband if this was what mutton tastes like. The rib eye being the worst... more like a tough sirlion steak....nothing like a tasty rib eye.....they even suggested we have it cooked meduim well so it would enhance the flavor. Yes, we are still scratching our head over that one.....

Soft shell crab was very very good!

Rock lobster...it is what it is....

Sea bass...very good...but very thin

We found the the meat to be very disappointing in Blu. i actually asked my husband if this was what mutton tastes like. The rib eye being the worst... more like a tough sirlion steak....nothing like a tasty rib eye.....they even suggested we have it cooked meduim well so it would enhance the flavor. Yes, we are still scratching our head over that one.....

Sorry to hear that. Maybe because of a different distributor? We did the 26-day B2B (Eastern Med/TA), and the filet (Medium Rate) could be cut with a fork.