Onboard QM2 Dec 22 - Jan 3 Live

Paul NH

A quick post to say we are enjoying this particular trip. A few notes:

- Dinner service much improved in Britannia since 2011. Lunch and breakfast service good as well, although breakfast doesn't seem worth the bother there compared to Kings Court efficiency.

- In-hull balcony cabin still a pleasure to stay in.

- Some of the nautical paintings in the stairwell are significantly fading, which was a surprise.

- Shows are okay, not great. Viva Italia is downright weird. Great electric violinist on board, very entertaining. Christmas show was ... eh.

- Commodore Club out of certain cognacs and brandy which was surprising.

- Singalong on Christmas Eve in main lobby was special; great experience.

- Tea as popular as ever, and service there much improved from prior experiences. Sandwiches seemed fresher as well.

- Weather has been great, although there was a fair amount of rolling and even more pitching on the way down from New York.

- Ship still looking good, although showing age in a few places, but nothing of significance. Always very clean everywhere.

Question to the Europeans. Is it a custom to be served coffee *after* dessert instead of with it? Every time I have sailed on this ship it seems impossible to get coffee with dessert - it always arrives towards the end of dessert or after it, even when I specifically request it come with it. I am coming to the conclusion that I am battling against some cultural norm or something.

All in all a great trip so far.

Paul

In what way was Viva Italia weird? I found it amusing when I saw it. It was something different. It seems the electric violinist is back after last year - if it is the same show it was indeed very good!

Even though I am not European, coffee is always served after dessert. That's how it is done in polite society.

I cannot imagine serving it with dessert! Major social faux pas.

That said, coffee after dessert is not something I personally partake in as I value the ability to fall asleep each evening. Coffee is a morning drink for me, and then only sparingly (not an every day drink).

In what way was Viva Italia weird? I found it amusing when I saw it. It was something different. It seems the electric violinist is back after last year - if it is the same show it was indeed very good!

Even though I am not European, coffee is always served after dessert. That's how it is done in polite society.

That said, coffee after dessert is not something I personally partake in as I value the ability to fall asleep each evening. Coffee is a morning drink for me, and then only sparingly (not an every day drink).

Apparently, there are cultural differences regarding whether coffee is served before, after or during dessert. Nevertheless, it seems to me that proper service would be that coffee is served as requested.

By the way, based on my experience of 12 voyages on QM2, coffee, tea and dessert has been served almost simultaneously, just as it is in most restaurants where I live (NY).

My personal opinion is that demeaning the customs of others is a major social faux pas, while the sequence in which one drinks their coffee after dinner is strictly a matter of individual taste. If that precludes me from being considered a member of polite society as suggested, well, to quote Groucho Marx:

"Please accept my resignation. I don't want to belong to any club that will accept people like me as a member".:D

Edited by Salacia

Apparently, there are cultural differences regarding whether coffee is served before, after or during dessert. Nevertheless, it seems to me that proper service would be that coffee is served as requested.

Coffee has always been traditionally served after dessert. Some, however, prefer to have their coffee with their dessert, which, in the big scheme of things, is not something I worry about.

I draw the line at people licking their plates, farting, belching or picking their nose at the table, all things I have never witnessed on a Cunard ship (probably something to do with the type of people attracted to Cunard). Something else I find rude is when people are patronising and/or being rude to waitstaff. That sort of behaviour is very low class.

By the way, based on my experience of 12 voyages on QM2, coffee, tea and dessert has been served almost simultaneously, just as it is in most restaurants where I live (NY).

Don't you get asked for your preference when on board QM2? I always do.

My personal opinion is that demeaning the customs of others is a major social faux pas, while the sequence in which one drinks their coffee after dinner is strictly a matter of individual taste. If that precludes me from being considered a member of polite society as suggested, well, to quote Groucho Marx:

"Please accept my resignation. I don't want to belong to any club that will accept people like me as a member".:D

The choice of whether to have coffee with or after dessert is not a custom (not in the traditional sense of the word) it's a personal preference. Commenting on the preferences of others is something that human beings have being doing since the dawn of time, hardly something that calls for the P.C barricades to be manned.

Edited by Whitemarsh

A quick post to say we are enjoying this particular trip. A few notes:

- Dinner service much improved in Britannia since 2011. Lunch and breakfast service good as well, although breakfast doesn't seem worth the bother there compared to Kings Court efficiency.

- In-hull balcony cabin still a pleasure to stay in.

- Some of the nautical paintings in the stairwell are significantly fading, which was a surprise.

- Shows are okay, not great. Viva Italia is downright weird. Great electric violinist on board, very entertaining. Christmas show was ... eh.

- Commodore Club out of certain cognacs and brandy which was surprising.

- Singalong on Christmas Eve in main lobby was special; great experience.

- Tea as popular as ever, and service there much improved from prior experiences. Sandwiches seemed fresher as well.

- Weather has been great, although there was a fair amount of rolling and even more pitching on the way down from New York.

- Ship still looking good, although showing age in a few places, but nothing of significance. Always very clean everywhere.

Question to the Europeans. Is it a custom to be served coffee *after* dessert instead of with it? Every time I have sailed on this ship it seems impossible to get coffee with dessert - it always arrives towards the end of dessert or after it, even when I specifically request it come with it. I am coming to the conclusion that I am battling against some cultural norm or something.

Paul

Thank you for your review. I'm glad that you are having a good time in the Britannia Restaurant, I thought the food and service was excellent there (back in Feb 2013).

I too think that QM2 is very well maintained, I think she looks great. Enjoy your voyage. :)

Edited by Whitemarsh

Is it a custom to be served coffee *after* dessert instead of with it? Every time I have sailed on this ship it seems impossible to get coffee with dessert - it always arrives towards the end of dessert or after it, even when I specifically request it come with it. I am coming to the conclusion that I am battling against some cultural norm or something.

Paul

Yes it's traditional but that doesn't make it right for you.

Coffee will be served after the dessert, but should be served when requested and no social faux pas will have been committed if you ask for this.

I'd have a word in your head waiter's ear before you sit down tonight. See if THAT works. It should.

I think that the final course a dinner used to be described as Coffee and Petit Fours. That looks like a clue to me. But in the South of France and in Canada, salad is often served after the main course. Another discussion could be whether to serve dessert before or after the cheese course. Decisions, decisions!

I think that the final course a dinner used to be described as Coffee and Petit Fours. That looks like a clue to me.

You got it.

Another English tradition would be to have the coffees served in the lounge. This is DWs preference.

I think that the final course a dinner used to be described as Coffee and Petit Fours. That looks like a clue to me. But in the South of France and in Canada, salad is often served after the main course. Another discussion could be whether to serve dessert before or after the cheese course. Decisions, decisions!

Cheese or dessert - never both :)

Hello All,

It is hard to post updates as I am too busy having a good time. Ha ha. A few more observations from this cruise, which is just past the midway point.

- Nice island itinerary. We have done something different on each island and the weather has been spectacular.

- Our waiters in Britannia are efficient, but both are difficult to understand due to accents. This detracts some from the experience. One time the waiter gave my son a Vegetarian dinner when he ordered Venison. At other times the other waiter who is very friendly was doing some light banter with me and I couldn't understand most of what he was saying.

- The Commodore's cocktail party concept needs recalibration. Yesterday they had to have two of them and ours (at 7:45 p.m.) was very very overcrowded. The speaker said that something like 66% of the passengers are gold or higher. When it gets that crowded in the Queens Room it loses its fun. And as some of you know, the second half of the event becomes an infomercial for Cunard. The idea of this event is a nice idea, but the actual reality of it is something different. I don't think I'll attend any more of these.

- Twice so far I was told they were out of a certain cognac/brandy listed on the cocktail list in Churchill's.

- The sailaway party aft continues to be a forced event most times. I went back to meet my son a couple of nights ago, and there were only about a dozen people there, with music blasting so loud you couldn't hear yourself think. Have you ever attended events where people in charge think the louder you turn up the music the better the event will be? NOT! I can't imagine what it would be like to be in those suites overlooking the deck and having to listen to that every evening.

- As the trip progresses it seems like the number of photography setups are thankfully reducing. The ship is beautiful at night. The Chart Club continues to shine, and it is very popular just before dinner, with great music playing.

- With only one exception (a Venison entree for dinner which was inedible) the food has been very good and I am overeating. Me and my one son skipped dinner last night from extreme satiation.

- The ship is kept meticulously clean as always.

- It appears that Sir Samuels does not serve Costa Coffee. The waitress pulled the bag out from under the counter and it was a generic bag.

- The passageways are still cluttered most of the day and early evening with carts, towels, vacuum cleaners etc. I've learned to just accept that unsightly bit of semi-permanent scenery.

- I also have just accepted having our coffee after dessert. It really wasn't that big of a deal - it just struck me that I couldn't seem to change the practice. Thanks to all for clarifying that custom and I enjoyed the banter around the topic.

- We haven't made it to any evening shows lately. Too busy watching the sailaway or having dinner or some other distraction.

Today we are in St. Maarten so I have to get going as my family and I will be disembarking soon. We have not purchased any on-board tour packages. We just wander off the ship and figure it all out on the fly and so far it's worked out great that way.

For now,

Paul

Hi Paul, Thanks so much for letting us know how your cruise is going. It's always interesting to read about what's happening on board.

I agree with you about the service in Britannia. We've been happy with our waiters but for the last few years they just seemed to be too rushed. We were on the first sailing after they had moved many of the staff to the new QE and that was dreadful service at best. To me the service has never gotten back to what it was before because it seems that they have cut back on the numbers. It's hard to feel well served when the waiters are overworked and constantly rushing....no matter how good they are.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise.....every minute, because it goes by so fast. :)

Hello All,

Today we are in St. Maarten so I have to get going as my family and I will be disembarking soon.

For now,

Paul

Again on a Sunday. How annoying. Have you passed the only natural border between France and the Netherlands?

Did you have a chance to make use of the 1:1 exchangerate $:€?

I think the days when it mattered have long gone. In the MD (first sitting) we were irritated nightly by the coffee cups being plonked down on the table when we were half way through pudding.

In polite society, desert or pudding. Discuss.

David.

Oddly, until recently, we have always had our coffee show up before dessert was was even offered. Dessert orders were taken after coffee was poured. I know this because I was sipping my coffee while declining dessert. Obviously, that was before the dessert order was taken along with the entree. I personally think this is less efficient than taking the order separately because it was a more leisurely pace after all the mains had been cleared.

I think the days when it mattered have long gone. In the MD (first sitting) we were irritated nightly by the coffee cups being plonked down on the table when we were half way through pudding.

In polite society, desert or pudding. Discuss.

David.

Ok, I'll take the bait. They are not synonyms - dessert is the final course of a meal, usually sweet (from the French verb meaning to clear the table); pudding is a carbohydrate based dish which may be served for dessert but can also be savoury and be served as an appetiser or entree (eg steak and kidney pudding). Desert is a sandy landscape! :p Happy New Year all and thanks for the lively coffee debate!:)

The term for the dish following the main meal in Australia is dessert. When I hear the word pudding I think of the fruit pudding eaten at Christmas time. You'll never see the word pudding on any menu in Australia unless it's Christmas. And it will be listed as a separate dish under the heading of Dessert.

New Year's Eve was well done on board last night. Very festive in the dining room with balloons, hats and horns, along with confetti strands on the tables. I've never seen the ship so vibrant as last night. G32 was packed, along with the rest of the lounges. We saw the New Year in at the Queens Lounge.

We are on our second-to-last full day at sea. The temperature is beginning to drop back to reality, although still warm enough on deck.

Will collect and organize my thoughts when I get home and do a full review of the trip. This itinerary was perfect for the holiday.

Happy New Year all.

Paul