Using Gmail in the Internet Cafe

Bazel

On my last cruise I was not able to login to Gmail as my account was flagged for unusual activity due to the IP address. I have been searching Gmail and Google in general and not finding anything to tell me how to resolve or prevent this. We sail a week from today and I NEED to assure that I can be reached.

Has anyone encountered similar issues? How did you resolve it?

Thanks,

Bz

It happened to me when I tried to log on using the Android app on my Kindle Fire ON SHORE -- and I didn't realize that it WAS locked (although there was a label that "synchronize is disabled"). When I logged on to my Yahoo account from my husband's laptop (also on shore), there were duplicate messages that my Google mail was locked. To reopen it I had to log on from a BROWSER not app and change my password -- requiring knowing old password and selecting a new one I would also remember.

Of course, I had told everyone to write me on gmail because Yahoo mail is so bloated I figured it would not load reliably on low-bandwidth connections (based on previous experiences) -- but Yahoo turned out to be more accessible.

This is not directly related to the ship's internet as we didn't buy any, but does relate to G-mail.

Outlook/Hotmail worked, it did ask a question before allowing to open up. gmail.

http://www.gmailhelp.com/contact-us/

1-404-978-9282

yeah everyone in here knows that answer. good luck and hope you get it worked out may not be a free call.

Google is your friend

However GMAILHELP.COM is not Google. it's a 3rd party trying to sell support services. Not a good idea.

I don't know how you can be assured it won't happen to you, but I can say that I have logged into my gmail account on every cruise I've been on without a problem.

Maybe you can set up another web-based email, like hotmail or yahoo and forward your gmail to that on a temporary basis if you're not sure your gmail will work.

I don't know how you can be assured it won't happen to you, but I can say that I have logged into my gmail account on every cruise I've been on without a problem.

Maybe you can set up another web-based email, like hotmail or yahoo and forward your gmail to that on a temporary basis if you're not sure your gmail will work.

This worked for me when i could not open my Hotmail account at sea.

I've had my gmail account blocked due to unusual activity when I was still home! It seems they detected a Chinese IP address trying to log into my account and immediately shut down my account.

I can't recall exactly how I fixed it but believe I had to call in and deal with them to confirm I was the owner of the account and was still home in Canada.

Perhaps it's like some credit cards and you need to notify them when you are leaving the country so they don't think an unusual IP address is a problem?

In September I was blocked from my Yahoo account. They sent the verification to my Hotmail account. I couldn't retrieve it because Hotmail was blocked and needed the verification sent to my Yahoo - an endless circle. This was happening to a lot of people on board. I opened a gmail acct but the trouble is I don't remember many email addresses because of course you pick them up from your email address book.

When I returned home and could re-establish myself I double-checked my accounts and I didn't have security questions set up which I have now done.

I will also from now on take a printed page of email addresses - just in case.

Is there a charge to check email in an Internet cafe?

Yes, I believe all cruise lines charge fairly high rates for fairly slow satellite service. There may be high-end 'all inclusive' cruises that include it, but I don't know of what they are!

The rate on NCL is 75 cents/minute down to about half that with the largest 'package'. (Pkgs are $55/110 minutes or $100/270 minutes with coupons, 100 or 250 minutes without the coupons.)

I thought the biggest package would be worth it for both of us to use over 6 sea days on recent 14-day cruise, but DH didn't! Instead we carried ultrabook and Android Kindle Fire off ship on some of the port days and found places to eat or drink that also had wifi. I tried to keep up a (offexploring) travel blog but was only moderately successful with so few log-ons!

31)&ship=Norwegian Star