New Zealand Excursions

Hi

We have cruised NZ a few times and done a combination of private and ships tours. This is what I reckon:

Dunedin: Done the Cadbury factory (sorry Bazz) and the ships Pub Hop Tour, which includes a visit to Speights Brewery. However my recommendation is Elms Wildlife Tour - a most professional organisation that well understands the situation (and risks) of passengers booking tours privately.

Akaroa: This town is the only tender port... and despite what some might say tendering (especially in sheltered waters) can be an adventure in itself. Explore the township, and arrange to take a 1.5 hour coach tour around the local sights - there is even a red double-decker London bus you can catch. Inquiries (and bookings) can be made at the Visitors Information Kiosk on the pier.

Wellington: The Te Papa museum is a must, and it is free.

Napier: A wander around this quaint town is rewarding, but we also booked a private tour to visit two wineries and a chocolate factory :)

Tauranga: A tour to Rotorua is always worthwhile, but we had visited before, so we booked a ships tour to visit a horse stud farm. Unfortunately Shirley was unwell so I had to cancel.

Auckland: we have rellies there, so our visits to Auckland usually mean having a beer or two at one of the Irish Pubs at the Quay side. Kelly Tarltons is Ok, but I have seen better (and its a bit exxy) and the bunjee jumping at the sky tower is definitely not our thing - but some like it.

We will probably cruise NZ again - it is always a fantastic experience.

cheers

If you are in Dunedin, make sure you go the I-Site at the wharf (in the tent) where you can book a private tour. They can be with you in a few minutes.

Hi

We have cruised NZ a few times and done a combination of private and ships tours. This is what I reckon:

Dunedin: Done the Cadbury factory (sorry Bazz) and the ships Pub Hop Tour, which includes a visit to Speights Brewery. However my recommendation is Elms Wildlife Tour - a most professional organisation that well understands the situation (and risks) of passengers booking tours privately.

Akaroa: This town is the only tender port... and despite what some might say tendering (especially in sheltered waters) can be an adventure in itself. Explore the township, and arrange to take a 1.5 hour coach tour around the local sights - there is even a red double-decker London bus you can catch. Inquiries (and bookings) can be made at the Visitors Information Kiosk on the pier.

Wellington: The Te Papa museum is a must, and it is free.

Napier: A wander around this quaint town is rewarding, but we also booked a private tour to visit two wineries and a chocolate factory :)

Tauranga: A tour to Rotorua is always worthwhile, but we had visited before, so we booked a ships tour to visit a horse stud farm. Unfortunately Shirley was unwell so I had to cancel.

Auckland: we have rellies there, so our visits to Auckland usually mean having a beer or two at one of the Irish Pubs at the Quay side. Kelly Tarltons is Ok, but I have seen better (and its a bit exxy) and the bunjee jumping at the sky tower is definitely not our thing - but some like it.

We will probably cruise NZ again - it is always a fantastic experience.

cheers

Agree with much of this. We were on Radiance over NYE just past and rented a car at each of Dunedin and Tauranga (booked online well before we left and dleivered to the port or a shuttle pick up). It was well worthwhile as we got to see all of the sites in town (Dunedin) plus take in the stunning Otago peninsula for a couple of hours. Given the USD15 cost of the shuttle, half of the car cost was effectively paid for already.

In Tauranga it was an easy 90 min drive to Wai O Tapu thermal springs outside Rotorua, then the redwood forest, fish n chips for lunch, the goldola and luge then back to the port (but I would do the gondola/luge first next time as it gets very busy after lunch).

In Auckland we hired bicycles and had a fantastic day cycling all over the city. There are a few hills but nothing too arduous. You will welcome the opportunity to work off some of the cruise excesses by then in any event! NZD20 per day including helmets and maps.

If going to Bay of Islands the Treaty ground tour and cultural performance are well worth the cost.

Thank you for sharing!

Has anyone reading this combined the railway journey with a visit to Larnach Castle? All comments are welcome.

I don't know if you would have time to do both but I would recommend using Good Company tours as they are a lot cheaper than the ship. They picked us up and took us to the Train and then a local tour after the train trip and then returned us to the ship for 2 adults and 1 child cost us NZ$264 if we went through the ship it would of cost us US $840.

http://www.goodcompanytours.co.nz/cruise.html

Cheers Trish

Edited by Jasp 0401

Thank you for sharing!

Has anyone reading this combined the railway journey with a visit to Larnach Castle? All comments are welcome.

Does your cruise company offer a combined excursion to both? If so, I'd take it even if it is a bit expensive. The Taeri Gorge train trip is gorgeous and Larnach's Castle has been beautifully restored and, personally, I think it is worth visiting.

There is a possibility that you might not be able to do the train without booking it through your cruise as, if there is more than one cruise ship visiting that day, the train may be fully reserved for cruisers.

It also very much depends where the train is going to that day, Middlemarch trips arrive back in Dunedin later than Pukerangi trips so there would not be time to do much sightseeing around Dunedin after a Middlemarch trip. http://www.taieri.co.nz/index.htm

Has anyone reading this combined the railway journey with a visit to Larnach Castle?

Didn't do this, but it is do-able. RC offer this as a ships tour - it's pricey but it's a full day. Guess you could do with local operator, but for really long tours we normally pay the 'extra' in return for ease & peace of mind.

On our next visit to Dunedin the Taieri train will be the go, altough it will be hard to forgo the brewery.

• 6 months later...
Just come back from our cruise today - and we were in Dunedin on Boxing day - and whilst the Cadbury Factory was closed - there was a tour - and it was very informative - we got a bag of chocs in the entry price $16.00 and saw a "chocolate pour". We got a ships transfer into Dunedin and were dropped at the Octagon - you can walk to Speights, and walk to Cadbury's from there - we did both - and it was great. We jumped a taxi to Baldwin Street - and the grandies thought it was phenominal - they walked it - in the pouring rain - the taxi waited and then took us back to the Octagon. I have to say we cheated a bit - the taxi driver drove us to the top - and the kids walked down. We stayed in the taxi and drove down) There's a plaque at the top with info.

We got a ships transfer for $15.00 each return to the Octagon. Lots of helpful guides there to help you out.

Hello...Can you remember how much the taxi was to Baldwin Street return. We are looking at doing something similar.

Thanks!

Dunedin has some good ones around from the albatross observatory to see seals incl babies and penguins

Dunedin also good for speights brewery and larnach castle

Tauranga is great for dolphins and whales if right time of year

Napier has great wineries

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you for sharing!

We plan on visiting Lanarch Castle on a private tour when next in Dunedin.

The company we are booking with, (you can book with online in advance), is "The Castle Cruiser" which does tours to the Castle as well as Baldwin St and other town centre spots twice daily when a cruise ship is in port. Return can be to the dock (in the pm tour) or from the dock (in the am tour). the drop off point (am) / pick up point (pm) is near the Octagon.

Take a look at their website.

I have also in the past been to Dunedin Railway Station and Speight's Brewery, both highly recommended, just using ship's shuttle and walking. Be aware some of the streets in town are pretty steep!

Hope you enjoy your trip,

Rosee

Agree with Bazzaw - didn't enjoy the Cadbury Factory. Taieri Gorge is great, Middlemarch okay but probably a little too far and found most people on the train ended up in the Middlemarch pub. The Seasider Train is also good and is a good alternative if the ship has the Taieri Gorge trains booked (there is often two ships in town). Never book through the ship (its twice the price), book directly with the railway and take the shuttle from the ship.

Picton - great for the Marlborough wineries.

Akaroa is beautiful. Try the Akaroa Mail Run to really see the countryside.

Wellington - hmmm, don't like (I'm an Aucklander:eek:). We tend to go to one of the restaurants on the water. Te Papa Museum is good though.

Tauranga, we organise a group, hire a limo and go to Mills Reef - always a great day.

Napier we use Black Rose Limousines and do a tour - lots of fun.

Auckland, catch up with friends. Mt Eden Hill or One Tree Hill for views but a trip over to Devonport on the ferry is good. If you have good weather, Waiheke Island is a favourite.

Bay of Islands - Hole in the Rock. You should be able to book it independently from the ship. The real favourite is catch the ferry to Russell and have lunch at the Duke of Marlborough Hotel.

Cheers

Di

Te Papa in Wellington is a must see, also the botanical gardens with the tram ride up is great.:D

We went on a sightseeing tour of Wellington. Would have liked more time at Te Papa. The rose gardens at the Botanical Gardens were in full bloom last summer when we visited and the scent was just unbelievable.

Thoroughly enjoyed the Taieri Gorge train and at the first short stop there was a small stall with very reasonably priced souvenirs and a few market style stalls at the second stop. Swapped sides on the return journey with fellow cruisers so we didn't miss any of the scenery.

In Napier we did a tour to a lookout with beautiful vistas over vineyards, river, Napier and Hawks Bay - great for photography. We also spent some time enjoying the town area and the Art Deco style. The volunteers dress to the era and it makes for a lovely ambience.

In Picton we did a cruise on Queen Charlotte Sound - scenically stunning. Then caught a coach back to the ship via the vineyards of Marlborough Sound. It was a cruise organised excursion.

Previously when we had stayed in Bay of Islands we did the trip to the Hole in the Rock by a jet power boat. Great fun.

A few cruisers did an overnight tour from Dunedin via Queenstown and re boarding in Milford Sound. It was quite expensive but most seemed to enjoy it.

The seas and tides last summer were a bit unpredictable and I believe Napier and Dunedin had some cruise ships that could not enter.

The ship tour that included olveston house was my favourite of the cruise.i think you need to use the ship tour as would be difficult to arrange privately from memory.

You can arrange a tour of Olveston privately , but check the web site for the tour times , as you can only view the house on a guided tour.

I agree, its a brilliant tour. Its as if the family just walked out and left everything exactly as it was.

http://www.olveston.co.nz/

• 1 year later...
I don't know if you would have time to do both but I would recommend using Good Company tours as they are a lot cheaper than the ship. They picked us up and took us to the Train and then a local tour after the train trip and then returned us to the ship for 2 adults and 1 child cost us NZ$264 if we went through the ship it would of cost us US $840.

http://www.goodcompanytours.co.nz/cruise.html

Cheers Trish

We did this Good Company tour the other week. It was excellent value for the money paid. Sit on the left side of the bus for the best views on the afternoon city tour.