Prescriptions and OTC's

Traveling on FOS Western Caribbean - wondering - do prescriptions have to be in original bottles? What about OTC meds (ibuprofen, Coldcalm, Sudafed, Benadryl, etc.) I have of those great pill boxes for the week and was going to put my vitamins and prescription meds in, but then I wondered if I need to have the actual prescription bottle with me. Anyone know the rules??

Anyone done the Dreamer Catamaran Sail and Lagoon Snorkel through RCL in Falmouth, Jamaica (actually it departs out of Montego Bay)? I'm just wondering if the Catamaran has a bathroom on board?

I have not been on this particular excursion but have been on many catamarans and all have had a restroom.

Have never had a problem with pills and meds of any kind with the cruise line, but we do carry the original prescription bottles if we are flying. I know someone here will say it doesn't matter, but it makes us feel better and helps avoid any potential problems.

I travel with them in their original bottles.....

I carry lots of very strong meds as husband is cardiac patient, known to go into congestive heart failure on cruises due to eating stuff he shouldn't.

They are in labeled ziplocks (snack size) so as not to take up much space, since we are trying to travel very light.

In 30+ cruises we've never had a problem and fly to all ports, as none are local. We did not even have a problem flying into Dubai which is known to be very strict.

Maybe we have just been lucky, but so far so good!

... I wondered if I need to have the actual prescription bottle with me. Anyone know the rules??
Other posters say "no problem" and I would agree that is generally the case. But you asked about "the rules". Quoting from Customs & Border Protection < help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/67 >

Prescription medications should be in their original containers with the doctor's prescription printed on the container.

If you are traveling with an item that is on the Schedule of Control Drugs you definitely should have the original packaging.

Thom

I too have congestive heart failure (dilated cardiomyopathy) and have a defib and pacemaker. I not that old and I look quite healthy so I want them to have no doubts when I run into a problem. I carry a card for the airport and the ship security. I've always been treated with utmost respect at all the airports and with the cruise personnel. We will be cruising from Europe for the second time since my diagnosis. I carry the original bottles. While there will be thousands that won't encounter a problem, I don't want to be the one that does. I have a pill case that I use once we finally board the ship, but we have several days pre-cruise and post-cruise in Europe. I also scam a copy of my latest tests (echo, blood work, etc) and e-mail to to myself, along with a copy of the prescription sheet given to me by the pharmacy at the time I last fill it. Should I have a medical emergency any doctor would be able to better understand my documents than for me to try to explain the specifics. We scan our passport, credit cards, DL, etc. and e-mail them to our account. Doesn't take any room in our luggage but we can easily get to the documents with our password should we run into a problem. Even if you don't have a medical condition, scanning your passport and credit cards then e-mailing them is a good idea.

Anyone done the Dreamer Catamaran Sail and Lagoon Snorkel through RCL in Falmouth, Jamaica (actually it departs out of Montego Bay)? I'm just wondering if the Catamaran has a bathroom on board?

We were on that excursion this past January. The catamaran did have a washroom on board.

Have never had a problem with pills and meds of any kind with the cruise line, but we do carry the original prescription bottles if we are flying. I know someone here will say it doesn't matter, but it makes us feel better and helps avoid any potential problems.

You are so right! We always make sure pills are properly labeled in their original bottles. Because if the airline does want to enforce the rule they can because it clearly states on their websites and documents that pills must be labeled in their original bottles. No need to risk missing a flight!

I've asked the pharmacist for an extra label when getting mine refilled before the cruise. I used the little zip bags they sell for medication and put the label on that.

I typically just bring mine in pill boxes, but I love this idea!! I'll have to remember to ask for a label next time.

Thanks for the great idea.

Why in the world is anyone going to mess with your meds?

How will they even be able to look at them?

Random checks by CBP when reentering the US????

Honestly, I use pill boxes, but the law for importation is original labeled container. And, if they're scheduled drugs, I'd definitely keep them in the original, labeled container...

don't forget the folks at TSA are the folks that couldn't get a job at McD's/ You suppose a large Rx bottle labeled for allergies might just be a big old bottle of Oxycodone?

Your right about that, but anyone affiliated with the ship couldn't care what you had..

Why in the world is anyone going to mess with your meds?

How will they even be able to look at them?

Your right about that, but anyone affiliated with the ship couldn't care what you had..
I can't quite figure out if you are unknowing, or if you just like to be argumentative. You have, even if you don't know it, given the RCI permission to search your stateroom (read paragraph 8e of RCI's Cruise Ticket Contract). And if you don't realize that CBP has the right to look through your stuff then you shouldn't be traveling. Drugs are certainly near the top of the list of things CBP and RCI are concerned about, and abuse of prescription drugs is a major and growing concern. Edited by TravelerThom