Epic Motion Sickness Prevention Medicine/Patch

jbtyler927

I have been on many cruises and have never experienced motion sickness. That being said, my husband has a couple of times (nothing horrible, just a little nausea/vertigo) and my son has not been on a ship with rough seas (but gets sick in the car and on rides sometimes)! I am getting very nervous reading reviews of the Epic regarding the movement of the ship even in calm seas. I am hoping to get advice from previous Epic travelers that took medicine, wore a patch, etc. on what works best to prevent sickness. I plan to use it for all three of us just a precaution so we do not have "off" days on what we plan to be a wonderful trip in a couple of weeks. Thanks in Advance!:)

DO NOT USE PATCH!! Tried it once, and way too many side effects, mostly visual problems, but also others. Do a search here...many threads.

We found the best to be generic Bonine (given out at guest services)..non drowsy and we do drink while using them--never had a problem even during rough seas

But....we have never sailed on the Epic

Safe sailing

DO NOT USE PATCH!! Tried it once, and way too many side effects, mostly visual problems, but also others. Do a search here...many threads.

We found the best to be generic Bonine (given out at guest services)..non drowsy and we do drink while using them--never had a problem even during rough seas

But....we have never sailed on the Epic

Safe sailing

I will second this post. I almost became blind from the patch and have to wear glasses ever since using the patch. Try Bonine.....it works great.

I have been on many cruises and have never experienced motion sickness. That being said, my husband has a couple of times (nothing horrible, just a little nausea/vertigo) and my son has not been on a ship with rough seas (but gets sick in the car and on rides sometimes)! I am getting very nervous reading reviews of the Epic regarding the movement of the ship even in calm seas. I am hoping to get advice from previous Epic travelers that took medicine, wore a patch, etc. on what works best to prevent sickness. I plan to use it for all three of us just a precaution so we do not have "off" days on what we plan to be a wonderful trip in a couple of weeks. Thanks in Advance!:)

I, too, suffer from motion sickness. Even when I am the driver I get sick in the mountains...

However, I was TWO weeks on the Epic and only felt queasy once, when we were seated at the very stern window seat in a restaurant. Once we moved it went away.

I wouldn't load up on medications. If you need it the customer service desk should have some pills...

Edited by Medtech2

Epic is a very stable ship, from outside it may look very top-heavy but in reality it's not. I too have tendency for sea sickness when the seas are rough (that's why I'm a bit reserved about booking a TA ever as Atlantic is often quite windy and rough) but never had any problems on our cruise on Epic in Eastern Caribbean with normal weather.

I too suggest using Bonine (I also like to drink Ginger Ale as a soda but that's just me, while the ginger probably might help calming the stomach, for me drinking it has nothing to do with preventing sea sickness). :)

Edited by Demonyte

Besides asking the experts here on Cruise Critic :), I always think that consulting with one's doctor is a good way to go when looking for what is essentially medical advice, particularly concerning the scopolamine patch, which requires a prescription. I'm sorry to hear about the bad experiences some folks have had with it, but many others have used it successfully (including my spouse and about 2/3 of the pax on a small-ship expedition to Antarctica earlier this year which required two crossings of the infamously rough Drake Passage). The main side effect people reported was extreme dry mouth. Again, this is something to talk with one's doctor about.

You should also know that some of the pills for seasickness may make you very drowsy. Meclizine (generic Bonine) supposedly causes less drowsiness than does Dramamine.

Have a wonderful trip!

Bonine is Meclizine, often used for vertigo(dizziness). It is also actually the same as Dramamine II.

Dramamine contains diphenhydramine, which is actually Benadryl, so yes this will cause drowsiness.

Both of these choices are inexpensive and may be a good idea to purchase.

Scopolamine probably works the best for most individuals, but will have the biggest range of side effects. Its by prescription only.

There are also, Sea-Bands, which look like small sweat bands that create a pressure point at the wrist. I have been told that those work as well for some. Usually purchased at the pharmacy.

Good luck and just hope for calm seas. Epic is a very large boat and you shouldn't feel too much while on it.

I am incredibly prone to motion sickness. Without medication I get sick in cars, buses, trains, planes, and ships. I love the prescription patch, I've used it several times and have zero side effects from it. Even with it on, I've suffered mild sea sickness a couple of times, including on the epic. But, my experience is probably not typical since I am so incredibly prone to motion sickness, moreso than anyone I've ever met. My suggestion if you are considering the patch is get some from your doctor and try one when you are on land to see if there are side effects, that way if you suffer any there are at least doctors and urgent care centers nearby that you can go to. If you don't suffer side effects, they really are great.

I agree with the Bonine suggestion. I used to get seasick every cruise now I take a Bonine each night starting the night before we board the ship.

I was on the Epic Dec 7 and there was quite a bit of motion particularly at night when the Captain upped the speed.

I get motion sick extremely easily, and don't like to risk being sick on my cruise, so I wear the patch and love it!

If you only ocassionally experience motion sickness, meclazine, (which is what is in 24 hour dramamine or bonine) should work fine. I was on the Epic and didn't experience much movement at all, but that said, we were in the med and the water was like glass.

Thanks everyone!!! I think we will go with the Bonine suggestion as it appears the majority find it effective. You guys rock!!! I can't wait to board The Epic :D

I hope it works as great for you!! Oh and just a tip - buy the generic (meclizine) from Walmart or a pharmacy, I paid the same or less for a bottle, but it contained more than 5x the pills!

Another vote for Bonine. I have a friend who gets extremely seasick. She used to get a shot but they stopped wanting to give it. She tried the patch and had a very bad reaction. On one cruise the doctors gave her something that worked well. She looked it up when she was home and was the same ingredient as in Bonine. She's used it ever since and has no problems. She also starts it a day early and every day throughout.

My dh & I are fine but I still bring it just in case. I have used ginger capsules in the past.

On one cruise the doctors gave her something that worked well. She looked it up when she was home and was the same ingredient as in Bonine. She's used it ever since and has no problems. She also starts it a day early and every day throughout.

The small two-pill portitions they give out also from Guest Services are just generic meclazine, which is the active ingridient in Bonine and one variant of Dramamine - as already said few times in this thread. :)

I, too, cannot tolerate the patches, as I'm hypersensitive to most medications. The patch all but causes me to actively hallucinate. I've had compounded scopolamine that I could self-dose and it worked beautifully, but it also requires a prescription and it's very expensive.

On a recent cruise, I tried the non-drowsy Dramamine. I only used 1/2 to 1/4 the of a pill at a time and I had zero side effects with no sense of seasickness in even very rough seas. I was really delighted.

I was warned that meclizine is not a curative for seasickness, but a preventative, so I was told to take it before I had any symptoms in order for it to work properly. So, I listened carefully to the reports about the weather, the waves, etc. and dosed myself whenever I thought I might have a problem.

I knew I was doing a good job of self-doctoring when I sat in the theater one night and I could see the curtains actively moving and I didn't feel the slightest bit of discomfort--at other times, without medication, this would have been when I'd have been running out of the theater, praying to make it to the nearest restroom.....

I have used the patch many times with good results. The only side effect I have had is dry mouth, which is expected from the patch.

I did notice that this last time using it, when I was reading the directions it said to watch when you apply it that you wash your hands afterwards and don't touch your eyes because it will cause blurred vision.

The small two-pill portitions they give out also from Guest Services are just generic meclazine, which is the active ingridient in Bonine and one variant of Dramamine - as already said few times in this thread. :)

I did read that but mentioned it because it pointed her to Bonine which worked for her. She'd tried Dramamine in the past and it didn't.

I've used patches on every cruise because of my history of motion sickness on ferries, etc. I've never noticed any side effects. We were on the Epic in early December and it was the rockiest ship we've sailed, but I had no problems.

For a shorter time at sea, such as car ferries, I'd use Bonine.

For those who are sensitive to the patch, I wonder if it can be cut in half?