Luggage stolen

20pluscruises

Sorry about your luggage.

Ours has been misplaced in-transit many times.

We accept that as normal and wait for the airport van

to deliver it to our door.

Once, it was set aside at the airlines office in our home airport

because "there were 11 bags and somebody in baggage handling

thought it was easier to collect" by setting all of it aside.

jls

Sorry about your luggage.

Ours has been misplaced in-transit many times.

We accept that as normal and wait for the airport van

to deliver it to our door.

Once, it was set aside at the airlines office in our home airport

because "there were 11 bags and somebody in baggage handling

thought it was easier to collect" by setting all of it aside.

jls

We have had the same happen in the past...usually shows up in a day or two. However, they now scan and track all bags....this bag is nowhere to be found.

They now scan the checked luggage and track it from destination to destination. They pretty much agree that it was stolen but we still need to walt five days to do the paperwork claim.

Scan what part of the luggage? Most likely the luggage tag came off.

Next time, take a photo of your luggage before you put it outside your cabin door, or before putting it in the hands of airport valet.

jls

Scan what part of the luggage? Most likely the luggage tag came off.

Next time, take a photo of your luggage before you put it outside your cabin door, or before putting it in the hands of airport valet.

jls

The photo is a great idea!!!

We took the luggage with us to Miami airport and watched it go onto the ramp at the check in desk. It shows Miami sent our luggage on an earlier flight.

Sorry you've lost your bags, 20pluscruises , and I hope that you get them back soon.

While scanning the luggage should reduce the number of pieces getting lost along the way, at least in theory, they have more confidence in the system than I have. Which, I suppose, could be good news for you, as the bags may well be misplaced and not stolen.

Sorry you've lost your bags, 20pluscruises , and I hope that you get them back soon.

While scanning the luggage should reduce the number of pieces getting lost along the way, at least in theory, they have more confidence in the system than I have. Which, I suppose, could be good news for you, as the bags may well be misplaced and not stolen.

Well said.

Thank you.

jls

We went on a cruise to Greece and our luggage got "lost" somewhere in the Heathrow airport. When it finally caught up with us (four days later) the entire contents of both bags were missing!!!:eek::eek:

During those four days, British Airways claimed to have no idea where they were...even though it was scanned. It also took British Airways SIX months to accept responsibility and pay for our belongings.

On the flip side, we lost a bag on our last trip into FLL and it was waiting for us at baggage claim when we returned to go home.....safe and intact!!

The photo is a great idea!!!

We took the luggage with us to Miami airport and watched it go onto the ramp at the check in desk. It shows Miami sent our luggage on an earlier flight.

There is no luggage security in ny....anyone can pick up any bag and walk out. If the bags went on an earlier flight, they were just sitting on the conveyer belt asking to be taken.

I don't think there is anything you can do....the baggage claim system in ny ( and many if not most) airports creates a very easy environment for this sort of theft.

You might have a legal claim against the airline or the port of ny authority but I'm sure their fine print says they don't have to put your bags on your flight and no one is responsible for luggage once it is placed on the conveyer belt.

Frustratingly, there are video cameras on the baggage claim belts and if someone watched them they probably would see the person that took your bags, but there is zero chance of anyone doing that.

Edited by ghstudio

We went on a cruise to Greece and our luggage got "lost" somewhere in the Heathrow airport. When it finally caught up with us (four days later) the entire contents of both bags were missing!!!:eek::eek:

During those four days, British Airways claimed to have no idea where they were...even though it was scanned. It also took British Airways SIX months to accept responsibility and pay for our belongings.

On the flip side, we lost a bag on our last trip into FLL and it was waiting for us at baggage claim when we returned to go home.....safe and intact!!

They told us the same thing....we just happened to be standing next to someone who was missing their luggage and they were able to track hers. This is when we knew it was stolen as soon as they tried to tell us they had no idea where it was.

We were returning from a cruise and went to the area at the terminal to claim our luggage and could not find our larger bag but noticed a bag that looks the same as ours there. I noticed a customs agent walking around and explained the problem to her. She walked me along the line waiting to go through customs and luckily I spotted a man with our bag. I informed him that he had our bag and he abruptly stated that I therefore must have his bag and would not give me the bag. I told him where his bag was and grabbed my bag and got in line. All the signs posted in the claim area to check your nametag doesn't mean anything to some people! I can't imagine all the trouble I would have to go through to get my bag if he discovered it at the airport or at home!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

A possible future solution for you - check out the Trakdot Luggage device. I ordered one and plan to use it on a future cruise. Google this item - I don't think I can post a direct link. This small device goes into your checked suitcase and a companion app emails or texts your confirmation that you bag landed where you did. If it did not, they tell you in what airport your bag remains. I can't vouch for it yet but it sounds pretty good to me.

Having suffered through various lost luggage situations, I'd love to be able to tell the airline where my bag is when they don't appear to know.

(My hometown is served by regional airlines who have some of the worst luggage statistics. I used to joke that their frequent flyer program gave you pre-printed lost luggage forms after 10 flights....)

I have had a suitcase stolen. As a matter of fact there was a theft ring operating out of FLL involving check in and ground crews that was busted about the same time.

While you wait to fill out your claim try to find receipts for any newly purchased items. You will have to provide a list of items and the receipts will be helpful. In addition to the abysmal amount the airline will give you consider filing a claim against your homeowners policy if you do not also have travel insurance.

Now, each time I fly, I have a list of all items in my luggage. I keep all receipts too.

If you are traveling with another person in your household, cross pack. This eases one persons total loss.

I'm sorry that this has happened to you and hope you did not have irreplaceable items in your luggage....I did.

I have had a suitcase stolen. As a matter of fact there was a theft ring operating out of FLL involving check in and ground crews that was busted about the same time.

While you wait to fill out your claim try to find receipts for any newly purchased items. You will have to provide a list of items and the receipts will be helpful. In addition to the abysmal amount the airline will give you consider filing a claim against your homeowners policy if you do not also have travel insurance.

Now, each time I fly, I have a list of all items in my luggage. I keep all receipts too.

If you are traveling with another person in your household, cross pack. This eases one persons total loss.

I'm sorry that this has happened to you and hope you did not have irreplaceable items in your luggage....I did.

DH has kind of laughed at me for having a detailed packing list. I'll be telling him about this. Hope OP gets their luggage back.

Happened to my SIL two years ago on the Glory. Put her bag on the night before never found it in the NYC terminal.

Ports of America personnel made her wait until almost all the bags were gone. Then walked her to every bag remaining. Then had her fill out the paperwork but stated you had to wait five days (equal to the return of the Glory) so they could check it wasn't left on the Glory before they filed the paperwork.

Thank goodness for insurance is all I can say for her.

Never happened to me, luckily.

FWIW

File a police report ASAP. Hopefully you don't live far from the jurisdiction that will take the report, or will take it on the phone. I know you're waiting for your bags to appear (and hope they do). But as others point out it may have been stolen off the baggage carousel. Most homeowners and trip insurance requires a police report for a theft claim. The longer you wait to file a report the weaker your claim with insurance or the airline. You can retract the report if your luggage is found. Let us know the happy ending!

BTW, another tip is to put a note with your airline confirmation code (PNR) inside your suitcase as well as the ship name, sailing time, and reservation number or the hotel you're staying at. If it's misrouted the airline can get all your trip and contact info and get it delivered to your ship or hotel who can in turn, figure it out. You don't want to put your contact details (especially home address) on the note in case it *is* stolen. "Hey, nobody's home at 123 Elm St. for the next 10 days" isn't something to advertise. Same with luggage ID...your address shouldn't be externally visible or put your business address/phone on it instead. There was a ring at a local airport snapping pics of luggage ID to find vacant houses.

Edited by kenish

A possible future solution for you - check out the Trakdot Luggage device. I ordered one and plan to use it on a future cruise. Google this item - I don't think I can post a direct link. This small device goes into your checked suitcase and a companion app emails or texts your confirmation that you bag landed where you did. If it did not, they tell you in what airport your bag remains. I can't vouch for it yet but it sounds pretty good to me.

Having suffered through various lost luggage situations, I'd love to be able to tell the airline where my bag is when they don't appear to know.

(My hometown is served by regional airlines who have some of the worst luggage statistics. I used to joke that their frequent flyer program gave you pre-printed lost luggage forms after 10 flights....)

A much less expensive alternative with an interesting approach is The Tile (http://www.thetileapp.com/).

A much less expensive alternative with an interesting approach is The Tile (http://www.thetileapp.com/).

I've been following Tile for more than a year. Very intriguing and hope it catches on. Of course there's limitations like everything else. The item has to be lost, not stolen. The finder has to be part of the Tile community with the app installed onto a phone with Bluetooth4.0 switched on. (The BT4.0 requirement eliminates Android phones which are over half the smartphone population...I understand why they do that but it is a practical restriction).

I could see airlines using Tile to augment their own tracking...similar to microchipping a pet as a backup to their ID tag.

Update...

The airlines have called everyday since Dec 28th to report our bag has NOT been found. We can file a claim on Friday Jan. 3rd.

I cannot believe the airport sent our bags on an earlier flight...going around and around the carousel for hours in LGA. They didn't offer to send us on the earlier flight. grrrrrrr!!!!

I just want my luggage back!!!!!!

Update...

The airlines have called everyday since Dec 28th to report our bag has NOT been found. We can file a claim on Friday Jan. 3rd.

I cannot believe the airport sent our bags on an earlier flight...going around and around the carousel for hours in LGA. They didn't offer to send us on the earlier flight. grrrrrrr!!!!

I just want my luggage back!!!!!!

Just a suggestion-go back to LGA and look in the baggage claim room for your airline. Ask everyone that is even vaguely connected to baggage. Agents are SUPPOSED to pull all bags off the carousel after passengers have left. I know a couple of times at JFK, I went to the Admiral's Club AFTER my flight before I claimed my luggage and it had already been taken into the "lost/unclaimed" luggage area. This is the PROPER procedure and if your luggage was on an earlier flight, this is where the luggage SHOULD have gone.

If your luggage was mis-tagged (did you look at the tags when they put them on), they came off or became unreadable or they simply ended up on an earlier plane, your luggage MAY be sitting in baggage claim. There is very often a BIG disconnect between those on the phone with baggage claim and those actually AT THE AIRPORT.

Usually the phone agents only look for tag numbers. Those PHYSICALLY at the airport may be looking at your bags and NOT realize it at all if anything happened to the tags. Do it quick before they decide your bags are unclaimed and are sent to Arkansas and become the next bag sold on that Reality TV show. Good luck.

Generally your luggage will be on an earlier flight than the one you're on if there is an earlier flight. That's a downside of checkin way in advance or having a long layover if there's earlier connecting flights. Sometimes the agent will warn about the possibility but often they won't. Luggage systems at airports have little capacity to store luggage to put on a later flight. Bags are handled based on destination and really not on flight number. Hope this adds to your travel knowledge/experience base.

Agree w/ Greatam you need to check the luggage claim area at the airport *in person* (or ask a friend or relative). If someone can do the same at the connecting airport even better. Most airports have "lockers" for unclaimed bags. There are ways your luggage could end up in one and the airline's Baggage Service office 50 feet away has no idea it's there! For example a passenger on the earlier flight may have pulled your bag off the carousel, realized it wasn't theirs, and set it off to the side. Later an airport employee may have put it into the locker during a routine sweep for orphaned bags.

Also as suggested earlier, file a police report ASAP. Hope for a miracle but don't wait around for it. The validity of an insurance claim dwindles rapidly the longer you wait to file a police report (if a theft claim is an option).

Edited by kenish