MDR Attire

Eager2Explore

First time cruiser here.

I plan to dress up for formal nights in MDR: dress pants, dress shirts and maybe even a tie.

What can I get by in MDR on non formal nights. Are shorts, tshirt and sandles/sneakers ok?

Thx for your help!

M.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

From Carnival's "F.A.Q." section:

What to wear?

Casual attire is the order of the day. We suggest shorts, sundresses, tank tops, etc. for the ladies, and for men; shorts, polo shirts, T-shirts, etc. will do. We suggest you wear rubber-soled, low heeled or flat shoes for extra traction while onboard. The use of any footwear with wheels, including but not limited, to Heelys© shoes, is prohibited on board our ships. For dining you may want to dress up a bit and/or bring along a light sports jacket or cardigan.

Most evenings we have a Cruise Casual dress code, but there are those Cruise Elegant evenings one or two nights throughout your “Fun Ship” voyage, where you will have the opportunity to showcase your more elegant attire. For those who want casual attire for dinner time, the Lido Restaurant is open nightly, and has a more relaxed theme. However, shirts and shoes/footwear (flip-flops) must be worn at all times inside the Lido Restaurant.

Both dress codes for the dining rooms are described below.

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too!

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

Edited by beachbum53

You will most likely see a variety.

On our last cruise, I wore casual slacks and polo type shirts (with collars), on Cruise Casual nights. I only wore shorts to MDR on the first night, and felt it was too casual. (But that's just me)

On Elegant nights, I wore slacks, button shirt and tie - and felt fine. There were many in suits, and some in Tuxes.

Sent from my AT&T iPhone 5C using Forums mobile app.

First time cruiser here.

I plan to dress up for formal nights in MDR: dress pants, dress shirts and maybe even a tie.

What can I get by in MDR on non formal nights. Are shorts, tshirt and sandles/sneakers ok?

Thx for your help!

M.

Personally, I don't care what other people wear as it doesn't affect my food.

Sent from my wonderful iPhone 5 using the fabulous Cruise Critic app.

For the casual nights, try to stick to a shirt with a collar, and not just a t-shirt.

Sigh. Why?

Casual attire is the order of the day. We suggest shorts, sundresses, tank tops, etc. for the ladies, and for men; shorts, polo shirts, T-shirts, etc. will do.

People can wear what they want, but I harken to a day when people wore a jacket and tie to a nice restaurant.

I have never once said a word to a person on board about being under dressed in the dining room, but they like to point out often how dressed up I am and it is always someone in a t-shirt or shorts. Seems to me that your choice of dress in the dining room should go both ways, but people appear to be threatened by a suit and tie these days.

I can only assume they feel under dressed, but wear what you like and leave me to mine. They often the next night are dressed nicer and maybe they feel I pushed them there by my dress.

NO one will stop you from going into the MDR in a T-shirt.

Hopefully it won't have any rude comments on it but otherwise on an average night you can wear any kind of shirt. They would like a collared shirt on "elegant" night.

Some folks on this site try to make up their own rules about how others should dress. It is your vacation so be comfortable but do consider that the MDR is like a nice restaurant in your home town.

First time cruiser here.

Thx for your help!

M.

My suggestion would be to wear what you'd wear to a nice restaurant at home on formal nights, otherwise long pants and a collared shirt is the acceptable dress.

Frankly I'm so confused:rolleyes:....formal night not a problem as DH will willingly wear long slacks, shoes and a collared dress shirt then. It's the casual evenings/ Carnival is a bit confusing in their post.....so the question is can DH wear, to dinner, on a casual night, a collared polo, long casual shorts and deck shoes?

Yes! He can wear what he wants on non elegant nights.

There is no rule that says he MUST wear long pants and a collared shirt.

He may find that it is chilly inside and may not end up wanting to wear the shorts. I am always cold.

Edited by riffatsea

First time cruiser here.

Thx for your help!

M.

On last cruise (Victory) out of Barbados at any night, including formal, it appeared that flip-flops, shorts and T's were acceptable. The minority who followed the dress code (suggested) were somewhat overdressed.

Yes! He can wear what he wants on non elegant nights.

There is no rule that says he MUST wear long pants and a collared shirt.

He may find that it is chilly inside and may not end up wanting to wear the shorts. I am always cold.

No you can not wear what you want. No it does not have to be long pants and collared shirts , but you can not wear sleeveless shirts and flip flops for starters.

GO MIZZOU!!!!!!!

It's the casual evenings/ Carnival is a bit confusing in their post.....so the question is can DH wear, to dinner, on a casual night, a collared polo, long casual shorts and deck shoes?

What your DH is planning to wear will be perfect for casual evenings!

Have a great cruise! :)

LuLu

~~~~

People can wear what they want, but I harken to a day when people wore a jacket and tie to a nice restaurant.

I have never once said a word to a person on board about being under dressed in the dining room, but they like to point out often how dressed up I am and it is always someone in a t-shirt or shorts. Seems to me that your choice of dress in the dining room should go both ways, but people appear to be threatened by a suit and tie these days.

I can only assume they feel under dressed, but wear what you like and leave me to mine. They often the next night are dressed nicer and maybe they feel I pushed them there by my dress.

I have also had people comment about me being dressed up for wearing dress shirt, wool slacks and leather shoes.

My own personal experience was based on the Hostess decision on dress , so it just amazes me when I read about that other wore on elegant night and are permitted entrance.

I wore a bright yellow suit jacket with matching shorts that were knee length, a black sequence tank top underneath with a pair of black heels, black scarf and matching bling black bag, very stylish, so I thought.... and was turned away on the Liberty a few years back. BUT....low and behold....right in front of us was a man in jeans and t-shirt that was permitted entrance.

We did not make a stink, but asked poliety and were told that shorts are shorts no matter how nice or what length and are forbidden on Elegant nights. The Hotess said that I could go and change and come back.

I was tempted to go and throw on jeans and a tshirt and come back, but I just didn't have it in me. We went to the Lido and laughed a little about it..but I was irritated.

Edited by PittsburghGirlee

<sigh> I was responding to the description of shorts/dockers/ and a polo shirt.

He can wear that since that is what he wants to wear and it is OK in the MDR.

No need to sigh, maybe just be a little more clear on what you are referencing.

GO MIZZOU!!!!!!!

Shorts are not allowed on elegant night. The dress code is printed in the Fun Times. He should have been turned away too.

My own personal experience was based on the Hostess decision on dress , so it just amazes me when I read about that other wore on elegant night and are permitted entrance.

I wore a bright yellow suit jacket with matching shorts that were knee length, a black sequien tank top underneath with a pair of black heels, black scarf and matching bling black bag, very stylish, so I thought.... and was turned away on the Liberty a few years back. BUT....low and behold....right in front of us was a man in jeans and t-shirt that was permitted entrance.

We did not make a stink, but asked poliety and were told that shorts are shorts no matter how nice or what length and are forbidden on Elegant nights. The Hotess said that I could go and change and come back.

I was tempted to go and throw on jeans and a tshirt and come back, but I just didn't have it in me. We went to the Lido and laughed a little about it..but I was irritated.