Attire in Rio

gatorpower

Are bermuda shorts considered proper attire in museums, Corcovado, Sugar loaf mountain and other tourist attractions in Rio?

For men? Yes, but probably not heavier fabric cargo shorts, more along the lines of board short type material. It is likely to be extremely hot and humid, so dress comfortably for the weather. For clubs or other somewhat more dressy situations, lightweight linen slacks might be suitable. Jeans are much too heavy unless perhaps you live in an extremely humid, hot location and are used to wearing them in full summer.

Brazil is pretty casual (except maybe on business calls). Also, there is no way you can avoid looking like a tourist anyway.

For men? Yes, but probably not heavier fabric cargo shorts, more along the lines of board short type material. It is likely to be extremely hot and humid, so dress comfortably for the weather. For clubs or other somewhat more dressy situations, lightweight linen slacks might be suitable. Jeans are much too heavy unless perhaps you live in an extremely humid, hot location and are used to wearing them in full summer.

Brazil is pretty casual (except maybe on business calls). Also, there is no way you can avoid looking like a tourist anyway.

What about women? And if we go into a cathedral I assume that shorts would not be allowed for either sex.

What about women? And if we go into a cathedral I assume that shorts would not be allowed for either sex.

In my experience, you wouldn't have to worry about "church dress" any more than many Brazilians do. I have often seen Brazilians dressed in whatever they happened to have on at home (and it is often quite hot, so clothing can be quite brief) as well as those women who may put on a nicer outfit if they have one.

Yes.

We just returned from Rio where it was very hot and humid. Dress for hot weather (95 to 105 degrees) with high humidity. Shorts and tshirts are fine and most people on or walking to/from Copacabana wore bathing attire to keep a little cooler.