Holland America vs Princess

jhuntermartin

Prinsendam is not a sister of the original Renaissance ships. It is older and sailed originally for Royal Viking Line. Princess, Azamara and Oceania sail the old ships from Renaissance. The Prinsendam is very different and much more comfortable. Larger cabins, better public spaces, the whole nine yards better designed and it has a promenade deck.

Please expand on your statement & do you also consider the two new-build 'Oceania' ships; 'Marina' & 'Riviera' 2 Star ships as well? :confused:

With pleasure.

Please note that Stars classification is not related to cruise ships.

However, as the OP has put the conversation in these terms....

"Bed & Breakfast' or Cabin and Dining is what the OP rated 5 stars on Oceania.

Is there anything else on a ship to fill the gap between a Hotel and a Cruise Ship?

Oceania is offtopic in this thread so I will give you a link .

Below you'll see what HAL Signature class ships have and what Oceania lacks.

Can you imagine that all you see below can be removed from the ship?

How many "stars" would the remains (B&B) deserve?

That is what Oceania would deserve as a ship. :)

CC allows only 6 pics in a single post, so I am splitting pictures in two parts.

HAL Signature class

wcl21d.jpg

be6nn8.jpg

2hxsgat.jpg

32ztdmo.jpg

The original three ships are from the R class ships . Prinsendam is a sister ship to the original R class ships.

Prinsendam is most definitely NOT a sister ship to the R class ships. She was built for Royal Viking. The R ships are Azamara Quest and Journey, Princess Ocean and Pacific, and the 3 smaller Oceania ships.

On our last Prinsendam cruise in September, at a special cocktail party, the captain mentioned the quality of her appointments is of a much higher quality than the R ships. And, it truly is. She was built for a luxury line and it still shows---even though there is rust on the metal around the windows and doors!!

Then the poster should have said so, because what he posted certainly did not exclude the O-ships.

The O-ships are gorgeous, and at least 5* quality. With the exception of the lack of a promenade deck, they are far and away much lovelier than any HAL ship I've been on.

I'm sure Marina and Riviera are gorgeous. And, I don't doubt the smaller ones are more gorgeous than any HAL ship. (Hope I got the names right!!) I don't think you can compare the layout of the 3 smaller Oceania ships with Prinsendam. #1-----stairways are narrow and not elegant looking #2---poorly designed showlounge. #3---limited venues for drinks. I have never stayed in a verandah on Prinsendam, but I hope it is larger than on the R ships. At any rate, it will have a walk in closet, whereas the R ships had a small closet in the verandah cabin. I would take Oceania in a heartbeat, but not one of the smaller ships.

Edited by LindaM
edit

Prinsendam is most definitely NOT a sister ship to the R class ships. She was built for Royal Viking. The R ships are Azamara Quest and Journey, Princess Ocean and Pacific, and the 3 smaller Oceania ships.

On our last Prinsendam cruise in September, at a special cocktail party, the captain mentioned the quality of her appointments is of a much higher quality than the R ships. And, it truly is. She was built for a luxury line and it still shows---even though there is rust on the metal around the windows and doors!!

arrz and Linda - I agree with both of you. If the Prinsendam hadn't been built with such quality back then, I doubt she would have the following she does now. The woodwork in the cabins is very nice :)

Long may she sail :D

Sorry for the thread drift OP - to help make up for it, I have sailed on both.

We prefer HAL but everyone has their own preferences.

On Princess I found the Lido very congested and uncomfortable. Fewer nice spaces as HAL has. Our cabin category was larger on HAL.

Both are nice lines, but overall, when we look at itineraries, HAL still has the most intriguing for us.

4q37tt.jpg

t6zdhh.jpg

2a94bv5.jpg

A ship has to have much more than a hotel (cabin & dining) to qualify to be a resort cruise ship (real cruise ship, "5 Star" cruise ship or name it)...

:)

Happy cruising!

From what ship was this last photo taken?

We sail on both Princess and Holland America and it is difficult to say which we like better but here goes. Princess, bigger ships than we like but we always have a great time, the problems with the lido should be fixed on the Regal that we are booked on next. Food is close and entertainment if fine but there are always too many people and its hard to find a seat. The staff is smiling more, for a while they were so reserved but I suspect it was mentioned to improve this. GOOD SMOKING OR NON SMOKING POLICY.

Holland America: Size of the ships are better for us. crew is wonderful, food is fine and as my husband says, "there are never any surprises". VERY POOR SMOKING POLICY , we no longer book a balcony because of problems with smokers . We complained about the problems we had in this area and was told by the hotel manager to "sail with Princess". O.K. we will. Holland America used to make you as a frequent cruiser very welcome but the last few cruises they do not and at the Mariner's party for the 4 star people the Captain and Officers appear to hate being there.

Anyone who go on Celebrity may be impressed, we were.

We have cruised both lines several times, recently did Grand/Caribbean and Crown on Princess and Westerdam/Zuirderdam/Massdam and Veendan on Hal. Food and service was about the same, perfer ships on Princess much larger than Hal. But disliked Princess since we felt Crown and Caribbean ships were way to crowded they increased amount of cabins but not size of showrooms and public areas, so we had hard time getting seat for shows on Princess, never felt that crowded on Hal or any other ships that we have cruised on other lines.

I don't think you can compare the layout of the 3 smaller Oceania ships with Prinsendam.

Since you quoted me, let me point out that I didn't compare the 3 smaller Oceania ships to the Prinsendam. I was posting about the O-class ships, not the R- ships.

The O-ships and the Prinsendam are very different interpretations of refined elegance in décor. But both are quite nice in their own way.

I wouldn't know about the R-ships as I have never been on them.

We have sailed on both lines, and perhaps our hearts belong to HAL, staff wise they seem so special, very good itinerary's, good cabins, slightly larger than Princess, depending on your cabin choice of course, but a small sofa in the cabin as opposed to Princess standard veranda which has not, is an advantage.

The enclosed viewing [Crows nest]we like, especially in cooler weather, a refined way of sailing on HAL...Fellow passengers are genuine travellers.

Recently we went on a part world cruise with Princess, a beautifully kept ship, Sea Princess, public area's excellent, small cabins [veranda]..but well appointed with good storage and initially I was shocked at the space, but quickly adapted, as you do, I took my own foam mattress cover, [as the beds are hard], lightweight, easy to carry..but they will provide you with one.We could not fault the service, and on a long journey that is good, would go again with either, have re booked with both HAL and Princess in the next 15 months, so whatever you choose, and I am particular, you will not be disappointed I'm sure. It's always dependant on your personal choices.

We have been primarily Princess cruisers but were considering switching to HAL after we retired. Just after we booked our first HAL cruise they came up with their silly new wine policy. Fortunately it did no affect our October cruise which we really did enjoy, but, since it will affect all future cruises, we decided to go back to Princess.

We were also disappointed in the activities on HAL. You could go to lectures, play bridge or sleep. They also had this ridiculous "Dancing With the Stars" thing which was taught by staff who did not understand ballroom dance. They taught a lot of foolish arm flailing but no dance steps. It was truly pathetic and had nothing to do with dancing. :(

We have been primarily Princess cruisers but were considering switching to HAL after we retired. Just after we booked our first HAL cruise they came up with their silly new wine policy. Fortunately it did no affect our October cruise which we really did enjoy, but, since it will affect all future cruises, we decided to go back to Princess.

We were also disappointed in the activities on HAL. You could go to lectures, play bridge or sleep. They also had this ridiculous "Dancing With the Stars" thing which was taught by staff who did not understand ballroom dance. They taught a lot of foolish arm flailing but no dance steps. It was truly pathetic and had nothing to do with dancing. :(

"Dancing with the Stars " on TV isn't much better . I did ballroom dancing in my teens and early 20's . Nothing at all what they do on TV.

"Dancing with the Stars " on TV isn't much better . I did ballroom dancing in my teens and early 20's . Nothing at all what they do on TV.

At least on "Dancing With the Stars" on TV they spend enough time to learn some steps. On the ship it is like a 40 minute class of arm flailing. So very sad.

Sounds like Princess is a better fit for you. It's good to stick what works for you.