Self laundry/ironing services

Deb24370

Having only previously sailed on princess ships I have read that they do not have self service laundry facilities. ?? Can anyone verify this?

If there is not a laundry service is there a place to be able to iron creased clothing?

It's correct that Royal does not have self service facilities (neither laundry nor ironing).

You can send things for washing & pressing, or just for pressing. We usually send DHs tux and shirts as soon as we board and I found the prices for pressing pretty reasonable.

Also on cruises of 7 nts or more they will have a 'wash & fold' laundry day, where you can have a bag of shirts, shorts, swimsuits, underwear etc done for $25.

Some cruisers have also reported success with anti-wrinkle sprays they have purchased at places like Target.

I packed a bottle of homemade wrinkle releaser and the stuff worked great on my khakis! I bought a 3 oz spray bottle at Target, added ~1/2 oz cheapo fabric softener, ~1/2 oz rubbing alcohol, filled bottle with water from tap once on board. Shake, lightly mist clothing, and hang to dry.

Also packed only wrinkle resistant dress shirts and was able to hang them while I showered and that took care of most of the wrinkles for those.

If you want to do laundry in your sink, buy a laundry bar and make small shavings of said bar using a veggie peeler and pack in a ziplock bag. When you want to wash clothes, drop one of the shavings in sink to make your wash water. Alternatively, you can use a small amount of shampoo (or the shower gel that's stuck on the wall). Gently wring dry, or better roll into a towel to reduce wrinkles in the wet clothing and to get most of the water out. Then hang to dry (I found hanging them from the towel bars above the toilet to be one of the best places to dry items) - if you plan to do a lot of laundry by hand, packing a small fan can be very helpful in drying clothes over night.

Edited by jb008

I don't recall all the prices specifically but I was pretty impressed with the reasonableness of the laundry prices. It was $3.95 to launder a shirt, for example (at least I consider that reasonable on a cruise ship for next day service). Next time I'm bringing fewer clothes and utilizing the on board laundry.

It's correct that Royal does not have self service facilities (neither laundry nor ironing).

You can send things for washing & pressing, or just for pressing. We usually send DHs tux and shirts as soon as we board and I found the prices for pressing pretty reasonable.

Also on cruises of 7 nts or more they will have a 'wash & fold' laundry day, where you can have a bag of shirts, shorts, swimsuits, underwear etc done for $25.

Some cruisers have also reported success with anti-wrinkle sprays they have purchased at places like Target.

We just disembarked Serenade on December 21 and the "wash & fold" laundry bag is now $30 :eek::rolleyes:

They just keep raising the prices on things!

We have taken a small empty spray bottle, and just with plain tap water we gently and lightly spray clothing and it is surprising how much the wrinkles relax. I even use it at home for items like polo tops and shirts that might have a crease from the wardrobe. It isn't like an ironed item, but it you give it a try at home you will see whether some clothes are suitable.

We have used the $25 bag at times, but it is suitable generally for mainly nightwear and underwear. We found sending say t-shirts had mixed results, with sometimes them coming back quite wrinkled, and other times, they were not bad.

When we send normal washing lots away they have come back nicely ready to wear, and even a sequined top came back no problems. Of course if it's a special item, I would be wary, as I have heard on CC some varied results.

Washing items and wrapping them in the towel works pretty well, but a trip around NZ in late March one time was not suitable for clothes drying. We were on a 18 night cruise and after a few days decided that sending them away was much easier and we felt pretty good value overall.

I know this may sound like a silly question but regarding the laundry service, no ones had issues with shrinkage?

I'm only asking because nothing other than towels and undies are put in my dryer at home, I hang dry everything.

We've been fortunate, no signficant shrinkage.

I didn't save a copy of the laundry paperwork, but it also listed specific things that could be done via the laundry bag, supposedly other things (e.g., dress shirts) would be removed and done individually at the going rate.

I didn't save a copy of the laundry paperwork, but it also listed specific things that could be done via the laundry bag, supposedly other things (e.g., dress shirts) would be removed and done individually at the going rate.

The items that can be included in the Wash N Fold Bag are Pajamas, socks, shorts, swimwear, t-shirts and underwear.

We used the laundry special on or around day 5 on Allure. I was unimpressed - the bag was tiny (perhaps 1/8'th of what I'd consider a load at home) and the clothing came back folded but clearly NOT ironed. It was just T-shirts, a pair or two of denim shorts, and a few pairs of underwear, but I would have expected the T-Shirts and denim to have been ironed, or at the very least, folded while still hot from the dryer so that they weren't all creased up. It was quite a wrinkled mess when it was returned to our stateroom.

Now, we just pack enough clothing so that we don't need to bother with the laundry anymore. Problem solved.

Edited by Oshawapilot

Hey honey, this person gets his t-shirts ironed, what do you think, ouch:rolleyes::D

FWIW, I don't iron my T-Shirts. Few things in our house gets ironed, actually....but we are careful to fold things hot out of the dryer, otherwise it should be no surprise to anyone that crap gets wrinkled, and even I won't wear a T-Shirt that looks like an elephant stood on it for a few hours before I put it on.

Had they folded it while it was still hot I would have been fine, but EVERYTHING came back severely wrinkled. They obviously didn't fold anything while it was hot - that was the basis for my suggestion that in that situation, perhaps ironing things would have been prudent.

But, Azamara does

I find that ironic on many levels. A super premium cruise line known for it's well heeled passengers....offers a service that would sure seem more in demand amongst the "lesser" customers on RCI/Celebrity, but is likely least in demand amongst Azamara customers who wouldn't ever think of doing their own laundry while on vacation. :rolleyes:

We used the laundry special on or around day 5 on Allure. I was unimpressed - the bag was tiny (perhaps 1/8'th of what I'd consider a load at home) and the clothing came back folded but clearly NOT ironed. It was just T-shirts, a pair or two of denim shorts, and a few pairs of underwear, but I would have expected the T-Shirts and denim to have been ironed, or at the very least, folded while still hot from the dryer so that they weren't all creased up. It was quite a wrinkled mess when it was returned to our stateroom.

Now, we just pack enough clothing so that we don't need to bother with the laundry anymore. Problem solved.

That's why it is called Wash N Fold ;) :D

###