Help with hotel in Venice

Travel luv

Hello,

I am trying to decide between the following hotels for our upcoming visit to Venice. We will only be staying one day pre- cruise. I'm looking for some where that is nice, clean, modern, and not to far to walk upon arrival.

1. Hotel Moresco

2. Hotel Best Western Olimpia

3. Hotel Canal Grande

4. Hotel Papadorpoli Venezia

Thanks

It's not on your list but we usually stay at the Hotel Antiche Figure. Google it. Very close to the port and where the bus drops you off from the airport.

The place is clean, great owners, free wifi and great breakfast. Prices for being situated on the grand canal are good as well.

Interested in this thread and the responses it will get.

Many recommend staying in the area you are looking at for sheer convenience of not having to move luggage on water taxis/streets/bridges.

We too are looking at Hotel Moresco- seems maybe a bit out of the way which is why we're hesitating on it. Many on this board seem to really like Olimpia. Hotel Canal Grand looks very interesting with good reviews.

Not sure how easy all these hotels are to get back to during the day - if for example, you wanted to take a break in the day, regroup, and go back out at night. Don't want to spend precious time traveling back and forth - would rather stay closer to where I most likely will be sightseeing - Rialto bridge/St.Marks/etc. I've looked at maps but can't quite judge the distance and time needed to go back/forth.

Good luck!

Edited by mickeysgal

Yes, Hotel Moresco has been top on the list, but its pretty expensive compared to a few others. It looks really nice, however and has great reviews. I can't tell the distance factor however.

Sent from my SGH-T699 using Forums mobile app

I'm not precisely sure of the location of these hotels, but I can assure you that Venice is really small and it would be easy to get back and forth from anything that's in that general area. You can walk or take a vaporetto. We were staying near St. Mark's and had taken the vaporetto out to Murano; it was very slow motoring all the way around the island. I realized that we could just get off on the opposite side of the island on our way back and walk to our hotel in under ten minutes--that's how small it is.

Hello,

I am trying to decide between the following hotels for our upcoming visit to Venice. We will only be staying one day pre- cruise. I'm looking for some where that is nice, clean, modern, and not to far to walk upon arrival.

1. Hotel Moresco

2. Hotel Best Western Olimpia

3. Hotel Canal Grande

4. Hotel Papadorpoli Venezia

Thanks

Assume you will be coming to Venice from the airport? If so, the bus or taxi will drop you at Piazzale Roma. There are 2 options right at Piazzale Roma which will require No walking and NO bridges ... Ca Doge and Santa Chiara.

Of the 4 you noted:

-The Olimpia will be the closest walk, only 1 short bridge to cross. Ask for a room facing the garden.

- The Papadopoli is almost as close, and only 1 bridge to cross ... beautiful building and gardens. Pricey last time I checked

- The Hotel Canal Grande is right on the canal. 2 bridges to cross. Easy to find tho. Nice location.

- Not familiar with Moresco but has 3 bridges to cross and will be the furthest walk. We stayed nearby and got lost everytime we left the hotel. Liked the area tho.

The map and info in this link will be helpful in getting a sense of where all the hotels are in relation to each other AND Piazzale Roma:

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/hotelmaps/marittima.htm

if you need an elevator, be sure to inquire. They aren't common.

Edited by mapleleaves
elev

I'm not precisely sure of the location of these hotels, but I can assure you that Venice is really small and it would be easy to get back and forth from anything that's in that general area. You can walk or take a vaporetto. We were staying near St. Mark's and had taken the vaporetto out to Murano; it was very slow motoring all the way around the island. I realized that we could just get off on the opposite side of the island on our way back and walk to our hotel in under ten minutes--that's how small it is.

This helps, thanks. After pouring over maps over and over, it just seems like it would take so much longer! Having never been there before, it's hard to get a good frame of reference.

This helps, thanks. After pouring over maps over and over, it just seems like it would take so much longer! Having never been there before, it's hard to get a good frame of reference.

You're welcome. On our last trip we stayed out in Cannaregio (top left hand corner of the island) and walked everywhere from there, or rather, meandered. it's the best thing to do, just to wander and see what you come upon.

There was a 2 hour vaporetto strike one day during our stay. We saw an older couple who had apparently come off a cruise ship and were attempting to get to their hotel near ours, way off the beaten path. Since the vaps weren't running, they had obviously been walking for ages, dragging their suitcases up and over endless bridges--I felt so sorry for them. They looked exhausted. They were on their last bridge when we saw them--bottom line: anything seems a long way when you are hauling your bags with you, but when unencumbered it's lovely and you don't even notice the bridges!

I don't know anything about any of those hotels but it's definitely better to stay closer to the cruise terminal before the cruise as opposed to lugging the luggage a farther distance. We stayed around San Marco and were there in May for pre cruise and post cruise and we just found it difficult with the bags and wish we stayed closer to the cruise terminal.

Another option in Venice is to leave your large bags at the baggage check at Piazzale Roma and just take what you need with you--DH and I do this in rental cars, leaving the bigger suitcases in the car and just taking in a carryon for the night in hotels while traveling. If you travel heavy, this could be a good way to stay wherever you fancy without having to worry abut lugging your luggage;)

I've just booked us into the Hotel Arlecchino which is apparently very close to the bus station and people mover. It sounds like a nice modern hotel and may be worth considering. I don't yet have any personal experience of it but Trip Advisor reviews seems positive.

It IS very close, and just 1 small bridge to cross. It's next door to the Best Western Olimpia. You can easily find it on the map I posted above. The map will also show you it's proximity to Piazzale Roma, the People Mover, the pier and the Grand Canal.

We stayed in The Papadopoli and Antiche Figure and loved both for there friendly service and there great locations.

You wouldn't be disappointed with the Papadopoli, only one small bridge to cross in the morning to the people mover.:)

We stayed at the Best Western Hotel Olmpia both pre and post cruise in the fall of 2012 and really loved our stay there. It was charming and modern and so convenient to walk everywhere, including to the people mover to get to and from the ship.

We'll definitely stay there again when we return to Venice. :)

We stayed at the Una Venezia in 2013 and it was fantastic! Less than 15 minute walk from St Mark's and you are in Canareggio, a world away from the hordes. It is the true Venice, not what most tourists see. Excellent breakfast and every afternoon complimentary wine, espresso, bottled water, small sandwhiches and pastries. We will be staying there again for a few days in 2015.

We stayed at the Una Venezia in 2013 and it was fantastic! Less than 15 minute walk from St Mark's and you are in Canareggio, a world away from the hordes. It is the true Venice, not what most tourists see. Excellent breakfast and every afternoon complimentary wine, espresso, bottled water, small sandwhiches and pastries. We will be staying there again for a few days in 2015.

We loved Cannaregio too, quiet and so non-touristy (except for us, of course). The vaporetto on that route was also so uncrowded that we had no qualms taking it to the train station with our luggage, something we wouldn't consider on Lines 1 or 2 for sure. It was just us and the schoolkids!

Novice traveler here, never been to Venice and got a really good rate at the Hotel Belle Epoque. It is on the other side of the big river... is that a terribly huge issue? The distance to the port (Norwegian) doesn't seem too far...

My fiancee (soon to be wife) and I will be taking our honeymoon and are staying the night before our cruise there - we are both early 30s and in good shape so I wasn't afraid to walk a little bit, even with luggage.

I hope I have not made a huge mistake? :confused::confused::confused:

Novice traveler here, never been to Venice and got a really good rate at the Hotel Belle Epoque. It is on the other side of the big river... is that a terribly huge issue? The distance to the port (Norwegian) doesn't seem too far...

My fiancee (soon to be wife) and I will be taking our honeymoon and are staying the night before our cruise there - we are both early 30s and in good shape so I wasn't afraid to walk a little bit, even with luggage.

I hope I have not made a huge mistake? :confused::confused::confused:

The big river? Oh, you mean the Grand Canal! :confused:

No, that's a good location, couldn't figure that one out til I looked it up. You will be very close to the train station. How are you planning to get there from the airport?

The big river? Oh, you mean the Grand Canal! :confused:

No, that's a good location, couldn't figure that one out til I looked it up. You will be very close to the train station. How are you planning to get there from the airport?

Yes! Only after I wrote the message did I realize it was the Grand Canal. That is good to hear about location.

From what I have read on here I thought the best thing to do would be to take the 6 euro bus from the airport to Piazzale Roma and then maybe walk to the hotel. I looked it up and it would be about a 7 minute walk - and coming from New York City that's nothing!

But what would you recommend as the most cost-effective way to do it? I don't mind spending a couple bucks on mass transit if it's easier, but I'd rather spend my money on a great meal that evening or going to do something touristy...

Thanks for the reply! Any and all help is very much appreciated - and I can't say how great these message boards are. Very helpful.

It occurred to me today that a key issue with booking a post-cruise hotel is to find one that may let you check in very early. I don't like the idea of having to leave our luggage in a baggage area. Guess it will mean keeping valuables like computers and jewelry with us for the whole day of touring.

Any folks have any experience with this? Is there a Venice hotel that is known to take people early? Guessing that perhaps the ones closest to the pier would be best as they would have folks checking out early to embark on their cruise.

It's not an issue at all. Even if you can't access your room, every hotel I have ever stayed at allowed us to leave our luggage. You will be able to walk but it will be up and over bridges so be sure you can handle your luggage.

But, Cathy, did you just lug your valuables around Venice with you all day?