Help with hotel in Venice

Travel luv

Most of the hotels (and people mover) referenced in the post are for the "old" cruise ship location. Now that larger ships are being moved to the Marghera terminal does anyone have any experience of that for hotels and accessibility? The post where it said it was a nightmare wasn't disembarking and it was a port call so if they are using them as a trial probably not many people know but if anyone does it would be appreciated.

But, Cathy, did you just lug your valuables around Venice with you all day?

Well, I kept my wallet and I think my passports, but left everything else at the hotel. Only talking about a few hours. I've done this many times. . .in any case, I think things are probably safer there than out on the streets!!

What kind of valuables are you worried about?

Edited by CathyCruises

It occurred to me today that a key issue with booking a post-cruise hotel is to find one that may let you check in very early. I don't like the idea of having to leave our luggage in a baggage area. Guess it will mean keeping valuables like computers and jewelry with us for the whole day of touring.

Any folks have any experience with this?

Most hotels/B&B's in the US and Europe will hold your luggage if you arrive too early. The only time I was refused was at a very small B&B in Scotland; they didn't have a secure place for my luggage and the owner wouldn't always be at the desk to watch it.

Both hotels in Venice held our luggage; 1 had a secure location, the other didn't but held it behind the desk where staff were always present to watch.

If it's a concern for you, ask the hotel if they have a secure place for your luggage if you arrive too early to checkin.

Edited by mapleleaves

Well, I kept my wallet and I think my passports, but left everything else at the hotel. Only talking about a few hours. I've done this many times. . .in any case, I think things are probably safer there than out on the streets!!

What kind of valuables are you worried about?

+1

Done this many times in Europe and have yet to experience any problem. My suitcase is locked, so they'd have to make off with the entire bag, not just open it and rifle through it.

Edited to add: If I were somewhere where pickpockets are prevalent, I'd also ask the hotel to put my passport in THEIR safe. Most hotels have one. It's either that or be sure to have it in a secure location (NOT in an unlocked backback, an easy to access purse or an outside pocket of any sort.

Edited by cruisemom42