Select dining with cruise companions

MissBreezy

I'm sorry if this is repetitive but I've searched the forums with no luck. We will be cruising with DH's family (three couples all separately booked), since we booked first we requested select dining not knowing what everyone else wanted to do and the rest eventually booked the early seating I believe. Can we make arrangements once on the ship to dine with them or should I save myself some hassle and change to the early seating now?

I would try to change it now because often they fill up, especially for the early seating, and it may be hard to try to change it later.

See if you can link all your reservations. That should help to get you all seated together.

(But if you booked using different travel agents, that can sometimes be a pain trying to accomplish because it means getting all the travel agents involved.)

They may wait list you if early seating is full.

If you don't get it changed before the cruise, as soon as you board the ship go and see the maitre d' who is usually located somewhere around the main dining room to handle dining change requests on embarkation day.

Just ask where to find him.

How about the rest of them changing to select? We find that early is too early on most port days. Plus, if you are eligible for the Elite lounge, you miss out.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

How about the rest of them changing to select? We find that early is too early on most port days. Plus, if you are eligible for the Elite lounge, you miss out.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

Why do you miss out? We go in as the early diners are about to leave and have most of the place to ourselves. We have a drink then go to Select Dining.

As always, the information here is invaluable. Thank you everyone! I would have never thought to link our reservations together for that reason. I'd seen the option on our reservation page to link them but never thought to do it or imagined why it would be helpful :P

As always, the information here is invaluable. Thank you everyone! I would have never thought to link our reservations together for that reason. I'd seen the option on our reservation page to link them but never thought to do it or imagined why it would be helpful :P

Well, assuming you all want to dine at the same table, that's the only way it's going to happen. Unless you want to get involved in lengthly negotiations with the maitre d' when you get on the ship. In my view, that would require a sizeable tip. Linking the reservations tells Celebrity you're all traveling together and wish to be seated together.

You'll need all the reservation numbers to link the reservations.

Edited by Happy Cruiser 6143

Well, assuming you all want to dine at the same table, that's the only way it's going to happen. Unless you want to get involved in lengthly negotiations with the maitre d' when you get on the ship. In my view, that would require a sizeable tip. Linking the reservations tells Celebrity you're all traveling together and wish to be seated together.

You'll need all the reservation numbers to link the reservations.

Looks like I have some hunting down of info to do with my IL's. In hindsight this all makes sense, first timers though and we have a lot to learn apparently! :D

Thanks again!

Why don't you ask them to change to select,

Then you can all dine together at whatever time

suits you,

If you wish to dine early you can and if you

Want to eat a little later then you can too.

That might be a good idea BUT that would involve coordinating every day with all three couples about what time to eat.

When part of a group it's MUCH simpler to just have a set dining time and table and then everyone knows when and where to meet.

Edited by chamima

Since the majority booked early dining, I'd change to that. It's one less decision to have to make aboard that works for all 8 of you. With select dining, unless you agree to meet at a specific time each evening, you'll be trying to figure out a dining time on a daily basis. Plus the others in your group may not be wanting to pre-pay gratuities as required if you choose select dining.

Do link your reservations together ASAP. It is a hassle if you've used different agents and a function that Celebrity needs to add to its website:mad:.

Even after having your reservations linked, it still may not work, so I suggest that as soon as you are in your cabins, check with each other as to your table assignment. If it differs, have one of you head to the maitre'd, to arrange for you all to be seated together. Tip optional.

Since the majority booked early dining, I'd change to that. It's one less decision to have to make aboard that works for all 8 of you. With select dining, unless you agree to meet at a specific time each evening, you'll be trying to figure out a dining time on a daily basis. Plus the others in your group may not be wanting to pre-pay gratuities as required if you choose select dining.

Do link your reservations together ASAP. It is a hassle if you've used different agents and a function that Celebrity needs to add to its website:mad:.

Even after having your reservations linked, it still may not work, so I suggest that as soon as you are in your cabins, check with each other as to your table assignment. If it differs, have one of you head to the maitre'd, to arrange for you all to be seated together. Tip optional.

I agree that the tip is optional if Celebrity screws up your linked reservations. When I mentioned a large tip, that was for having made no effort to link the reservations and expecting the maitre d' to take care of it when you board.

We actually had this happen once. We had linked reservations and were all seated at separate tables. In the meantime, we had encountered a favorite waiter from previous cruises. So we asked the maitre d' to get us all back together at a table in this waiter's section. He told us that if we would be patient and sit where we were assigned the first night, he would make it happen by the second night. And he did.