No Show for Cruise

ricethief

I've got a friend who will be 50/50 whether he can make the cruise, we are at the stage where canceling will just mean we lose the fare anyway. What happens if one person is a no show? Can the others still attend or do we have to notify the cruise line before?

I've got a friend who will be 50/50 whether he can make the cruise, we are at the stage where canceling will just mean we lose the fare anyway. What happens if one person is a no show? Can the others still attend or do we have to notify the cruise line before?

my understanding is that most cruise lines will cancel your friend's cruise and issue no refund, and they will most likely charge you the single supplement fare on top of your original fare.

my understanding is that most cruise lines will cancel your friend's cruise and issue no refund, and they will most likely charge you the single supplement fare on top of your original fare.

That seems a bit unfair - the cruise line is essentially getting paid twice for the same half of the cabin!

If the person doesn't show, they don't show & the cruise goes on without them. If the cruise line has already been paid for the cabin, they should be happy. About the only "break" will be that the person now sailing alone won't have to pay double gratuities.

Over 12,000 posts and you can't answer a question?

They DID answer the question. He said he wouldn't say anything, meaning he wouldn't tell the cruise line about the person who's a no show.

OP, the cruise line has their money from your friend, and he won't get a refund unless he has travel insurance whereby if he cancels for a covered reason the insurance will cover his loses. You will not incur single supplement charges----I had a friend who had to cancel our cruise because of an emergency appendectomy, but I still cruised and didn't get any extra charges because he cancelled.

They DID answer the question. He said he wouldn't say anything, meaning he wouldn't tell the cruise line about the person who's a no show.

OP, the cruise line has their money from your friend, and he won't get a refund unless he has travel insurance whereby if he cancels for a covered reason the insurance will cover his loses. You will not incur single supplement charges----I had a friend who had to cancel our cruise because of an emergency appendectomy, but I still cruised and didn't get any extra charges because he cancelled.

I am happy to hear that...not sure where I heard that they would charge a supplement, but I am glad to be wrong.

I am happy to hear that...not sure where I heard that they would charge a supplement, but I am glad to be wrong.

Someone posted recently that her son (?) had been charged the single supplement when his cabinmate had to cancel. That is the only time where I have heard of this happening.

To the OP - since you are not sure whether your friend can make it or not, I would just leave it alone and not cancel.

Last January on the Dawn my cabin mate could not go. We didnt cancel anything just told them when we got to the port that he wasnt going to make it. They said ok,no problem. Once on ship his port fees and dsc were refunded to my obc. No issue at all.

Edited by Bug+Sprouts
spelling

Must make a difference what cruiseline you are sailing on. HAL very definitely was going to impose the single supplement onto my sister-in-laws cabin when her friend backed out for medical reasons.

I'm not sure if she had HAL insurance or private insurance, but once she cancelled her cruise (which you have to do if you want your money back), HAL automatically added the single supplement. My sister-in-law had to cancel her cruise and also file with the insurance to get reimbursed.

Then they went on the cruise the following year.

DEFINITELY makes a difference. DH decided at the last minute he did not want to go on a Cunard TA because it was during Bowl season and he couldn't watch college football.

I was going to cancel. Then found out they were going to hit me with the single supplement. Whoops, not going to do that. Just going to have him be a no show and flat out lie if they pushed it. He missed the plane-no way to join the cruise.

It all worked out very, very well. Cunard was heavily overbooked on that cruise. So they offered all our money back IMMEDIATELY (3 days before the cruise) plus other goodies. We came out very well on the deal and I didn't really want to go without him so we both watched football.

One other time, my Mom and I had booked a South America cruise-February 2002. She died in May, 2001. I was going by myself because DH really didn't want to go. Called the TA and they informed me if I cancelled my Mom and went by myself, I had to pay the single supplement. Kept bugging DH until he finally agreed to go.

So they definitely CAN attach the single supplement if you cancel. Much better IMHO to just be a no show.

If you are going to lose the money anyway, don't cancel...he can be a "no show"...they don't care! The cabin is already paid for for 2 people....they don't care if only one is in there. The one who shows up will NOT be charged anything additional.

does anyone actually READ the OP before replying? they are within the NO refund window. so whether they show up or not it doesn't matter as RCI has been paid in full from the second person. no need to cancel anything as there is no refund due. no need to find someone to take their place. when they don't show up RCI will simply sail away. now as some of you noted IF they would have been outside the no refund window and they canceled and got a refund then the remaining person would be on the hook for a single sup or finding someone else to go.

Edited by Sherlock43031

There have been cases posted of people being charged the single supplement when their roommate canceled at the last minute, even when no refund was given by the cruise line. We have no idea if that was the actual case, or what might have happened.

OP, does your roommate have "Cancel for Any Reason" or other insurance that will pay him/her back if he or she cancels? Do you have insurance that will take care of your single supplement (if imposed) if your roommate cancels?

If your traveling companion will get money back AND you will not have to pay a last minute single supplement, no reason not to cancel. If your companion won't get anything back, and you'll have to pay extra, you'll have to weigh the costs. If your companion won't get anything back, I would just have them be a no-show at the last minute, since that is the easiest thing to do, and there will be no likelihood of the single supplement being imposed since your roommate just didn't make it to the ship.

As for your question, "Can the others still attend" Definitely!

"Do we have to notify the ship?" You don't have to say anything at all. If they ask at check in, you can simply say that you are not sure he will make it for personal reasons.

Thanks everyone for the reply, we don't have insurance and even if we did it wouldn't cover it as it's a pre-existing condition. I will just not let the cruise line know and turn up on the day, there's always a chance that he can still make it.

does anyone actually READ the OP before replying? they are within the NO refund window. so whether they show up or not it doesn't matter as RCI has been paid in full from the second person. no need to cancel anything as there is no refund due. no need to find someone to take their place. when they don't show up RCI will simply sail away. now as some of you noted IF they would have been outside the no refund window and they canceled and got a refund then the remaining person would be on the hook for a single sup or finding someone else to go.

You DO NOT have to be outside the refund window to get stuck paying the single supplement IF the second person CANCELS. It is all up to the cruise line. They have every right to REFARE your ticket as you are not in a cabin with double occupancy. You are now a SOLO traveler subject to the single supplement.

As I posted previously, DH decided he DIDN'T want to go on the QE2 TA less than 14 days before the cruise. That's when I found out I would get socked with the single supplement and decided he would just be a no show and if I was pushed when I checked in, I would flat out lie and say he missed the plane. No way to board a TA once it left Southampton.

So just be aware that cruise lines CAN apply the single supplement no matter WHEN you cancel. Doesn't have to be in the refund period for that to happen. That is why canceling a reservation is a very bad idea if you still want to go on the cruise and don't know whether the second person is going to make the cruise or not.

You DO NOT have to be outside the refund window to get stuck paying the single supplement IF the second person CANCELS. It is all up to the cruise line. They have every right to REFARE your ticket as you are not in a cabin with double occupancy. You are now a SOLO traveler subject to the single supplement.

As I posted previously, DH decided he DIDN'T want to go on the QE2 TA less than 14 days before the cruise. That's when I found out I would get socked with the single supplement and decided he would just be a no show and if I was pushed when I checked in, I would flat out lie and say he missed the plane. No way to board a TA once it left Southampton.

So just be aware that cruise lines CAN apply the single supplement no matter WHEN you cancel. Doesn't have to be in the refund period for that to happen. That is why canceling a reservation is a very bad idea if you still want to go on the cruise and don't know whether the second person is going to make the cruise or not.

don't get your panties all twisted up. just for grins I called RCI and asked exactly what would happened if we were paid in full for a cabin and one of us missed the cruise at the last minute. the reply was they would not refund the fare of the person that missed the sailing.. I then asked if I would be up-charged for sailing solo. the reply was "of course not"..

don't get your panties all twisted up. just for grins I called RCI and asked exactly what would happened if we were paid in full for a cabin and one of us missed the cruise at the last minute. the reply was they would not refund the fare of the person that missed the sailing.. I then asked if I would be up-charged for sailing solo. the reply was "of course not"..

The optimum word is CANCEL. You didn't ask the same question of RCI as the OP posted. The OP asked about CANCELLING the cruise. You asked about MISSING the cruise. BIG difference in how it is handled.

The cruise line can REFARE your ticket as a SOLO traveler if one party in a cabin booked as double occupancy CANCELS. Means you can possibly get hit with a single supplement even IF the cabin is paid in full.

Edited by greatam

Thanks everyone for the reply, we don't have insurance and even if we did it wouldn't cover it as it's a pre-existing condition. I will just not let the cruise line know and turn up on the day, there's always a chance that he can still make it.

for future reference - if you buy the insurance within 14 days of booking the cruise pre-existing conditions are usually covered.

Cool Cruiser

Default No Show for Cruise

the OP asked what would happen if the other person was probably not going to be able to go. canceling anything after the no refund date doesn't do them any good. but frankly they can do whatever they want to do but I believe they have already posted what their decision was. RCI CAN do a lot of things like upgrade you to the presidential suite. assign you a butler to scratch whatever needs scratched, etc but would they?

has anyone actually been charged a solo upcharge when the cabin had been paid in full and one person didn't show? not have you heard from your brother who has a friend but know for first hand fact that RCI would do what they just told me they wouldn't do?

Edited by Sherlock43031

assign you a butler to scratch whatever needs scratched, etc but would they?

has anyone actually been charged a solo upcharge when the cabin had been paid in full and one person didn't show? not have you heard from your brother who has a friend but know for first hand fact that RCI would do what they just told me they wouldn't do?

I posted two examples that happened to ME. Not third hand info in the least.

One on Cunard QE2 TA-if I CANCELLED my DH as late as 10 days before the cruise, I was going to be REFARED to a solo traveler with the single supplement. This was the January crossing in 2008. This was booked with a well know travel agency that advertises on CC. When the travel agent told me I had to pay an additional $800 if DH cancelled, I told her thank you, but I guess he was going. I at that time decided to just say he missed the plane from the US if they asked.

The other one where my Mom died before the cruise-yes, it was before final payment date when she passed away. BUT my Mom had paid for the cruise in full when we booked. This was on Celebrity. When I called the travel agent and told her about my Mom passing away, she told me the travel insurance she sold to my Mom only would reimburse for ONE traveler (my Mom) but if I decided to go on the cruise anyhow, there would be a single supplement charge for me alone. Some travel insurance policies will pay the single supplement charge if one person cannot go due to a COVERED reason. I had Travelex insurance and they would have paid the single supplement. I finally convinced DH to go to South America and we only had to pay a $50 name change fee.

Call any GOOD travel agent and ask them what happens when you CANCEL one person from a cruise that was booked as double occupancy but only one person is now going. They will all tell you that depending on the mood of the cruise line as well as a lot of variables like how full is the cruise, why is the other person cancelling, etc. etc. that your ticket can be REFARED as a solo traveler and you may have to eat the single supplement.

This does not generally apply to just "missing the cruise".

Edited by greatam