Hollow America Zuiderdam

wpmccoy

We'd never done a Hollow America cruise before so we decided that our 31st cruise would be to the Panama Canal on the Zuiderdam. Let me say that I'm certainly glad that we paid extra to travel in one of the Neptune suites, so we could sweat in fine style. Let me stop here and make a point that I am a native Texan and we know all there is to know about sweating. We're known for our summers. We understand what causes sweating and it is entirely possible that we might have actually invented it. There are hotter places such as hell and the surface of the sun, but we run both a close second.

After about 15 minutes in our suite, my wife said to call the desk and tell them that our air conditioning was not working and please come and fix it. They said that the AC had been off and give it a few hours and it would be better, but they'd report it. The suite temperature was 80 degrees and we had not left the dock. After six hours, I reported it again. That evening, we Neptuners had a private meet-and-greet with the Captain, Hotel Director and Cruise director. I took the opportunity to mention it again to the Hotel Director. With smiles and bobble heads all around, they assured me they'd look into it and they did. What they found was temperatures of over 90 degrees during the afternoons as we headed farther south and the sun was on our side of the ship. Nothing like getting out of the shower in the morning and having your clothes stick to you because it's already too hot at 8:AM in your suite.

Flash forward to day 3. After several attempts at fixing the AC, the Guest Services manager was in our suite and basically said that it couldn't be fixed. They had been in contact with Seattle. They offered that if we would like to stay on board for the remainder of the cruise, they would give me a refund and they'd let me know the amount of said refund during the last two days of the cruise. I wasn't impressed. I said that if they would refund my ticket and send me home when we reached Aruba (our first port) that I'd forget that I was ever on a Hollow America ship. They agreed and put my wife and I on a plane in Aruba bound for Dallas. So far, so good.

Several days after arriving home, I found a "refund" had been provided by Hollow America of about 75% of the ticket price. It seems that they decided to prorate the the price for the time we had spent on board sweating with the oldies. Several communications with Daphney Newtson and Christine Ferris at the Seattle home offices, and they seemed to think that they had done a downright bang-up job of customer service and nothing further would be forthcoming other than additional cruise credits for future cruises. I'm still puzzled why they think that I'd want a future cruise with Hollow America Line.

Oh dear, the a/c saga on Zuiderdam continues in spite of those who insist all is well. Would you mind sharing your cabin number - so we can avoid it on future bookings. We're on the Z in April, and getting nervous.

Sorry to hear that your cruise was such a disaster that you felt you needed to leave the ship.

Can you please let us know your cabin number, so that others will be forewarned.

Hope you get this all resolved to your satisfaction.

:(

Sounds typical of any issue that gets escalated to Christine Ferris. In reading through these past boards and discussions of her replies, I have found that she seems to be unyielding and very rarely looks past the end result to see extenuating circumstances, etc. For being a representative of HAL's president and CEO, she also has terrible grammar at times, but that's not the point. I am very sorry that this happened and even though I love HAL, I would have most likely made the same decision as you - especially since you weren't even at the hottest point of your cruise. Hopefully this is not the end of your "fight" and you receive more back from your ruined vacation and will cruise again, although it sounds like most likely not on HAL.

We've been considering booking the Z, but there are so many a/c complaints, you have to wonder - where there's smoke, there's fire. Does anyone know any deck or cabin category that generally doesn't have a problem with the a/c? I'd like to increase our odds of not having a problem. Like OP, I'd leave the ship rather than stay in a cabin with no a/c on a Panama Canal cruise.

what a shame:(

No one needs to die of heat - and you weren't in the Panama yet.

At least you got most of the money back for your cruise. That's not guaranteed to happen. so, so far you have done well.

I am not sticking up for HAL - I am just saying you did well so far.

Hopefully you win the fight for the remainder.

So sad to hear that there are still issues on this ship. We were on her a few years back and she was a fabulous ship. Great service and food. But I would honestly hesitate to book her after hearing mixed reviews and troublesome reports from those onboard.

Do let us know how you make out. I can't think of anything more disappointing than to look forward to a cruise for months and then anxiously get off!

I have taken the time to read about the AC conditions on the Zuiderdam (I believe this is not the first thread on it - and it probably won't be the last). We were on a Panama Canal cruise (full transit in Sept/Oct of 2012. We were in a Neptune Suite (7077). The first day our room stewards asked if we wanted a fan. Not even thinking anything could - or would be wrong, we declined - that was until the AC started acting up. I guess the stewards knew before hand that there were problems. Without the floor fan that (we eventually asked for) I don't think our cruise would have been one that I wanted to remember fondly.

31 cruises and you have just discovered Cruise Critic and your first and only post is a detailed complaint that was handled as professionally as the cruise line warranted. Hmmmm.....

Enjoy the other lines.

31 cruises and you have just discovered Cruise Critic and your first and only post is a detailed complaint that was handled as professionally as the cruise line warranted. Hmmmm.....

Enjoy the other lines.

Thanks for having the courage to say what I deleted.

I don't doubt that the ship has problems in the hottest climates, but I'm skeptical on this report. Did they keep their curtains closed when out of the stateroom? Did they have a fan? Did they prop their door open? Etc... On my recent Zuiderdam trip our outside temperatures were not above 85, so I can't judge the extent of the problem. But proper AC levels is a very individual matter. I am not one that claims all is well, despite the reports. I'm just suggesting that "your mileage may vary."

It is instructive to note that many office building set their AC at 78 degrees.

Edited by shrimp56

<snip>

It is instructive to note that many office building set their AC at 78 degrees.

I guess you folks must keep your building warmer in the USA. In Calgary, they would be at 21C or about 72F. 78 is way too warm.

Edited by cruz chic

We been on 4 Hal cruises in last 4 years including Zuiderdam to Panama canal, this was a couple of years ago and ship had so many issues with a/c and toilets , would not cruise that ship again, other 3 were fine. ( we also had a suite)

Thanks for having the courage to say what I deleted.

I don't doubt that the ship has problems in the hottest climates, but I'm skeptical on this report. Did they keep their curtains closed when out of the stateroom? Did they have a fan? Did they prop their door open? Etc... On my recent Zuiderdam trip our outside temperatures were not above 85, so I can't judge the extent of the problem. But proper AC levels is a very individual matter. I am not one that claims all is well, despite the reports. I'm just suggesting that "your mileage may vary."

It is instructive to note that many office building set their AC at 78 degrees.[/quote

Just because one does not post here does not negate their experience. They may be going to the trouble of posting to warn others of potential problems. A nice thing to do, I think. At 78 degrees the wine will not be good for long.

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a Panama Cruise on this ship. I'm planning on booking an Aft balcony. All this conversation about the a/c problems has me worried. Obviously the whole ship isn't having problems but with my luck, our cabin would. Not sure what to do.

Your reply is uncalled for. Nobody is obligated to use Cruise Critic after one or one hundred cruises. The original post was well written and the writer did not come across as someone whining over a small matter or having an axe to grind.

The AC problem has been documented by many passengers. HAL should have refunded the entire cruise. Better yet, fix the AC.

igraf

Enjoy the other lines.

Please - If you have A/C problems on the Zuiderdam, let us know the cabin number. Without that info, we can't determine exactly where the problems are happening. Thank you "Gigianne" for letting us know the date you had trouble in 7077.

Edited by Linda&Vern