Tour Companies in Italy

smab1956

It's our first time doing a cruise to the Mediterranean and several people have recommended a private tour company in Italy. Unfortunately don't remember the exact name. I did find 2 companies "Roma Limo" and " Rome in Limo". Has anyone used either and can you please provide feedback. Thanks

We used RomeinLimo for private tours we shared with another couple on our roll call for Rome, Florence, and Naples (Pompeii and Amalfi Coast).

Hands down, it was the smartest thing we did. We had no issues whatsoever with them - they were on time, polite, knowledgeable, caring, and made sure we made it back to the ship in plenty of time despite all of us dragging our feet leaving these wonderful ports. Going private instead of ship tours saved us time and money not to mention we saw a whole lot more and it was personalized service.

You can't go wrong with them. I wouldn't hesitate to go with them in the least. The boards are filled with positives from this company.

This is who we used and the tours we took

Naples: Simply Almalfi -the Amalfi Coast and Pompeii

Rome: Rome in Limo - Rome

Livorno: Papillonservice - Cinque Terra and Pisa

All tours were excellent.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Remember: when in Italy there are "drivers" and there are "guides". Usually these are two people....... Guides must be licensed by the government and requires a lengthy process with tests etc..... they accompany you into the sights and provide information etc. Drivers do just that: drive you from point A to point B to point C........ sometimes they will provide some history, background and other info - sometimes not.

So, best advice: be sure you know what you are booking. Have seen many posts here from people who thought they were getting a driver/guide for the money and then just got a driver.

As for Rome in Limo, great company but I dont know why they charge so much more than the other really great companies for the same tour ???

So, second tip: do your research and shop around. There are other tour companies who will give you the same thing for less - I know this to be true.

Have fun researching - for many of us it is half the fun of the whole trip :D

Rome in Limo is wonderful...toured with them in Rome and Florence/Tuscany and can't wait till October to be back in Italy and tour with Rome In Limo again. Have recommended them to everyone I know going to Italy.

• 4 weeks later...

I see many recommendation for different private tour, but it will be much more expensive if you only have 2 person. My hubby and I are both mid 50 and able to move around. Is it DIY a better option for us? My hubby does not want to share tour. I have 4 days pre cruise in rome and 2 days after.

I see many recommendation for different private tour, but it will be much more expensive if you only have 2 person. My hubby and I are both mid 50 and able to move around. Is it DIY a better option for us? My hubby does not want to share tour. I have 4 days pre cruise in rome and 2 days after.

well that's up to you we were only 2 people on our first trip and one of the tours we booked with Rome In Limo was a walking tour of Ancient Rome....and it was wonderful.... not nearly as expensive as hiring a driver, which we also did the next day to see other sites but I HIGHLY recommend their walking tours, they are "official" guides and very knowledgeable and if you are able to walk for long periods you will see so much more with one of these guides. The tour was 3-4 hours long, it was the FIRST thing we did upon arriving in Rome, even after long overnight flight and it set the tone for a wonderful vacation, a great way to see this great city for the first time. They will meet you at your hotel and start the tour from there. Whatever you do, enjoy, Rome is wonderful!!!:)

With that much time in Rome, you can certainly DIY. Rome is a city best seen by walking, and many guidebooks (or online sites) can provide you with some good itineraries for several days' worth of walking tours in the city. As a general rule of thumb, it might be nice to group most of the "ancient Rome" sites together in one day, spend another full doing doing the Vatican, and so on. If you want more suggestions or help putting together your itinerary, I'd suggest starting a new thread rather than hijacking this topic which is about guided tours.

I concur, with one caveat, I would definitely get a guide for the Vatican and maybe sign up for a tour of the forums if you are doing those. It just helps to have someone focus you because there is so much to see.

With that much time in Rome, you can certainly DIY. Rome is a city best seen by walking, and many guidebooks (or online sites) can provide you with some good itineraries for several days' worth of walking tours in the city. As a general rule of thumb, it might be nice to group most of the "ancient Rome" sites together in one day, spend another full doing doing the Vatican, and so on. If you want more suggestions or help putting together your itinerary, I'd suggest starting a new thread rather than hijacking this topic which is about guided tours.

I concur, with one caveat, I would definitely get a guide for the Vatican and maybe sign up for a tour of the forums if you are doing those. It just helps to have someone focus you because there is so much to see.

This is how we felt to on our 1st visit there. We will, no doubt, do many things on our own at our next visit but for a 1st visit it was very helpful and TIME SAVING to have a guide with us...

We've used RIL several times and are more than pleased with their service. We had excellent tours and the drivers were all very knowledgable. And no, I don't work for them. You'll deal with a woman named Jany who you will find excellent. Enjoy.