"Better" side of the ship on a California Coastal cruise?

Baseball fan

Hello - We are looking at an April 2014 Pacific Coastal cruise (RT Los Angeles). Is there a better side of the ship to book our cabin? Is there one side with a better view when in the ports? Or one side that gets more sun?

Any info would be great.

Thanks

Dena

The "better" side is the one I'm on. Whenever you're on a R/T cruise, both sides will get sun, or not, depending on the time of day or the ship's direction. That's really the only difference when you're at sea. If the ship is in port, it can make a difference but depends on where the ship is docked. There are a few ports/itineraries when I feel which side makes a difference but generally, it doesn't matter to me as I'm either outside watching the seas or inside and not paying attention. A coastal cruise is not one when I care which side of the ship I'm on.

I agree with Pam & my coastal experiences have been that you rarely are close enough to the coastline to affect which side to choose. Sailing into SF the City is on the starboard side & sailing out it's port side however to me it was best viewed from the open decks.

Yes, either side is great.

We anchor off Santa Barbara, so either side can be spectacular.

Be awake and watching, when coming and going from San Francisco. What a sight!

Have a good look at the battleship Iowa, when coming and going from San Pedro. Great views from the top decks, either way. Don't miss it.

Enjoy!

Hello - We are looking at an April 2014 Pacific Coastal cruise (RT Los Angeles). Is there a better side of the ship to book our cabin? Is there one side with a better view when in the ports? Or one side that gets more sun?

Any info would be great.

Thanks

Dena

Sun will be to the Oceanside going south and to the land side going north.I prefer not to be looking at ports with shipping containers but one never knows how the ship will be docked.

Whenever you're on a R/T cruise, both sides will get sun, or not, depending on the time of day or the ship's direction.

Sun will be to the Oceanside going south and to the land side going north.

Sailing primarily north/south the sun will be on both sides of the ship either in the morning or afternoon.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Sun will be to the Oceanside going south and to the land side going north.
On the other hand, sun will also be on the land side going south and the ocean side heading north. It all depends on the time of day and ship's direction. :)

Any info would be great.

Thanks

Dena

I have done the Pacific Coastal cruise. To summarize the others, the answers to your questions are, No, No and No. Enjoy your cruise.

When docking in San Francisco the Starboard side gives you a view the city while the Port side overlooks the Oakland Bay Bridge. It is beautiful at night. In San Diego the Starboard side give you a better view of the city. While at sea it makes no difference.

One more thought... Please be up and active when sailing under the Golden Gate Bridge.

I have sailed under the Golden Gate 4 times now, and each time has been spectacular. Not once did the famous fog interfere.

Be out on the top decks, or out on the promenade deck, for thrilling views.

Of course if you have the energy, it is fun to switch from side to side on the promenade. The viewing from the upper front of the promenade is also spectacular. A lifetime thrill. Have your camera ready!

California Coastals generally leave out of San Pedro so if you just want to sit on your private deck as the ship is leaving, I would recommend the starboard side as it has the Iowa and all the little restaurants on that side. The best part is just as the ship leaves the bay (river?) with the jetty jutting out nearing sunset. Of course, that is all dependent on what time of the year because sunset is definitely variable.

Santa Barbara and Catalina are both tendered ports so they really don't matter. I enjoy the port side of San Diego because I enjoy watching the airplanes flying low over the city and landing at the nearby airport and there is a really pretty marina on that side, as well.