Wish to see a friend in Russia.

Off We Go!

If you want yo leave the ship on your own and travel about without being part organized excursion, you'll need a visa for Russia. Certainly doable. Gives you the most freedom to do what you want. But it's not exactly cheap and there are "hoops" to jump through.

If that doesn't appeal, maybe there is a way they could simply "bump into you" while you are out on an excursion? I am not so sure how convenient that is. They may not allow you to lag behind and leave the group. Someone else that has done a stop St. Petersburg might be able to better answer.

Russia does not encourage cruise passengers to wander around. For ship tours and most private tours, the operator get the visa, so the passenger doesn't have the hassle. If you want to go on your own, then you need to get a visa in advance. While the application is a pain in the butt, it can certainly be done. We took a river cruise a few years ago and had to get our visa. I just followed the instructions and answered all the questions. Got the visa on first try.

If you hire a licensed private tour company, the visa requirements will be taken care of by the tour company. A good tour company will customize the tour to your needs. You might want to check with one of these companies to see if you can make arrangements to meet your friends as part of the tour.

We used Anastasia Travel for our two days in St. Petersburg and they were very accommodating to our preferences.

We did a river cruise St Petersburg to Moscow a couple of years ago. We needed a visa. VERY lengthy application and I think it was $70. The cruise included 3 days in St Pete and 3 in Moscow. When we were not on the tours and excursions we went out and about freely and explored on our own and had no problems or issues. Had we known someone there, it would have been no problem to meet them for lunch, dinner, or "whatever" or visit them at their home if that's where they lived. Don't know if the same would work for someone being in just one city for a day or two as part of an "ocean liner" cruise. I'd ask you TA and/or the cruise line.

We did a river cruise St Petersburg to Moscow a couple of years ago. We needed a visa. VERY lengthy application and I think it was $70.

A tourist visa for a single visit is $140 and takes 7 business days, or $250 for expedited 4 business day service. There is an additional $30 Russian Visa Center (ILS) fee.

For a 36 month "multiple entry" tourist visa, the cost is $160 and takes 10 business days, or $450 for expedited 4 business day service. Again, with an additional $30 Russian Visa Center (ILS) fee

Source: http://www.consulrussia.org/eng/fee.html

Edited by boogs

Gadzooks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't remember it costing that much, but if that's what they cost now, that's what they cost now. I do remember we mailed the app with our passports to somewhere in Washington, I think it was. All the documents and instructions for mailing/processing were provided by Grand Circle, which is the river cruise line we took the cruise with.

Russia is very specific about visas. Normally, cruise passengers are considered "in transit" and don't normally require a special visa, but Russia is an exemption. When you cruise you have two options. One, get a visa. Two, take an excursion (either ship or private) that will get a blanket visa to cover the group. Private excursions will send you a letter that you must present to immigration so you will be allowed off.

So, if you want to see your friends, your best bet might be to get a private excursion where they can join you. Otherwise, you would have to get the visa.

I've traveled to Russia several times with both a Russian Federation VISA and an inclusion with a tour operator.

The VISA is a pain and the cost was $170. And, if you are planning on meeting a specific family or person they do have to be identified on the VISA application.

Now, take a tour arranged with others on your Roll Call and plan to spend a few delightful hours in the gardens at Peterhof. It is within easy access of St. Petersburg and is normally a stop of several hours. Many tours arrive at the palace while some arrive by boat so do find out which way you will arrive. You can meet your friends at the steps behind the palace or on the pier. Almost every tour includes this site and it would be a great place to visit. The other long stop on most tours is The Hermitage but it's far too crowded to try to find someone and there are multiple entrances.

If you are on a large ship, anything over 700 pax or so you will dock at the cruise terminal which limits access to passengers. If you are on a small ship it MAY dock in the city with only a small gate and fence. If this is the case you can certainly visit over the fence until you attract the attention of a pier guard. That's not advisable but doable for a short time.

I hope this helps.

So, if you want to see your friends, your best bet might be to get a private excursion where they can join you. Otherwise, you would have to get the visa.

I think if the private tour company was fussy over having someone (a local) tag along, then how about if you offer to pay for your friend to join the tour group for the day. Might be cheaper than the cost of the visa.