Travel Aide / Companion Available

Kazzygirl

I have travelled the world extensively often on my own and have found so many people say this will be there last holiday / cruise as they can no longer mange to travel alone wether it be due to age or mobility or loosing a spouse. I thought of the old fashioned " ladies companion " who gave company and assistance in exchange for paid travel expenses. Is there I need out there for this service ?:confused:

With a Google search there are some websites that seem to offer this service.

I would think anyone who needed a companion for dressing, etc would already have someone that they used at home. In the old days, she would have been called a "Lady's Maid". My mother-in-law traveled a lot when she was elderly and just went with another elderly friend. They helped each other. :)

There was a vast differance between the roles of 'ladies Maid and 'Lady's Companion ". The maid was just that a downstairs helper where as the comapnion was usually a women of education and good breeding ( according to the Victorian guidlines !) that may have been a spinster or widowed early in life.

Not sure if comment is meant to be a slur ???

I explained the job much like you did but DH immediately thought that the job would require more than I would think that it would. I personally think that I would love to do this job for about 6 weeks a year. Good Luck with it and let us know how it works out.

Years ago cruise lines used to have a 'match' program where a single traveler could ask for a room mate to share a cabin. The cruise line would provide you with another passenger who also wanted a room mate. Then both would not have to pay for the entire cabin themselves. However this was not like a dating service. You had no idea who would share your cabin, their likes, dislikes, etc, just a total stranger.

Years ago cruise lines used to have a 'match' program where a single traveler could ask for a room mate to share a cabin. The cruise line would provide you with another passenger who also wanted a room mate. Then both would not have to pay for the entire cabin themselves. However this was not like a dating service. You had no idea who would share your cabin, their likes, dislikes, etc, just a total stranger.

Club Med and similar would do this as well many years ago. They would only match same gender, no other preferences. I'm guessing it simply became too much of a liability.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

I've met several people who had taken or were, a companion. Sometimes it was their carer from home, and sometimes a neighbour who had volunteered.

I was also there when one such arrangement broke down, as the carer felt "put upon", and I worried how they would both cope in the same cabin for the rest of the cruise.

HAL still offers this service, and I know of at least one other line but can't remember the name. It's a wonder to my these programs can still excist in the internet age. Wanting to share to lower costs or for companionship, I can understand. But with a 100% stranger? Sharing your most intimate space? On vacation on less, where you've got lots riding on wanting it to be a good time? I couldn't imagine doing that with someone who's name you don't even know. Let alone any of their habits, unlikeable habits or perhaps even repugnant habits. Esp. now where you can meet up online and check someone out to get at least some clue.

I've been pretty adventurous and vacationed (land/sea combo) with someone I met online. We'ld been talking for more than a year, been calling eachother a lot, had some kind of chemistry based on what made us meet online in the first place. I jokingly said "why don't you come along then", when she sighed how great a vacation and it sounded like heaven such accessibility (both of us wheelchair users). One thing led to another, but not without meeting IRL beforehand and getting to know what we expected from eachother when it comes to sharing a stateroom (each own room at hotel) and a friendship already beginning. That was plenty of a gamble for me, already. ;)

With the internet so booming, it surprises me that anybody would be willing to be matched up 100% unknowingly, instead of using the options we've got of matching ourselves. I've seen plenty of even otherwise not internet-savvy 80 and 90+ folks match themselves up with travel companions this way. So it surprises me, but the progams do still excists at some lines. And to make it more amazing that they still excist; depending on itinerary etc. you can find yourself paying (almost) the same amount to share a stateroom with a complete stranger as it would cost you to book that stateroom solo and have that complete stranger book their own stateroom and you meeting up in public spaces.

But then again, I'm one of those folks that while loving socializing I also very much like my private space and time. One of the many reasons I will never book carers on upcoming trips in the same stateroom as myself, no way jose.

I've met several people who had taken or were, a companion. Sometimes it was their carer from home, and sometimes a neighbour who had volunteered.

I was also there when one such arrangement broke down, as the carer felt "put upon", and I worried how they would both cope in the same cabin for the rest of the cruise.

Obviously just my very humble opinion, but I strongly believe private quarters are a must when being in eachothers personal space so much already. When something becomes more than 2 indivuals sharing a vacation and changes into a situation where one has expectations, demands or needs for the other, there is a need to decompres from one and other. It is very rare when a relationship survives having multiple roles put upon the players. Being in such confined spaces for a period of time only turns that into a pressure cooker situation.

I've seen it made loads worse by most of the times things not having been properly discussed beforehand, causing unrealistic expectations to excist on both sides. Makes things so much worse when the reality sinks in that these expectations will not be met. Many times their also being a family or friendship relation in play, only makes the risks that much bigger when it does go sour.

It can be a very positive thing, but respect and above all honesty and reality from both sides and some base agreements on how-and-what are a must, if you ask me.