Smoked Salmon Getting Harder To Find In The Windjammer

loudbmw

Recently back from a December B2B on the Oasis and Freedom. I noticed that the previously available smoked salmon is getting served less frequently in the Windjammer.

I love smoked salmon for breakfast, much better for my diet over sausage, bacon or cold cuts.

On the Oasis I couldn't find smoked salmon in the Windjammer for the beginning of the cruise. I sought out the Windjammer head chef and he said "no salmon until Wednesday" (reminded me of the Seinfeld soup ****). He said I could get it in the main dining room - no thanks, I prefer the Windjammer.

On the Freedom it was also missing some mornings in the Windjammer but it was cheerfully supplied by request by the chef behind the buffet station.

Also the Freedom main dining room salad bar on sea days had fewer toppings available like prosciutto (OK - not so good for my diet).

Just posting in the hope our feedback will bring it back. I listed my concerns on the cruise survey.

Have noticed that if a ship has a Park Café smoked salmon will be served there in the morning and not in the Windjammer. Additionally some of the ships have a bagel bar included with the Park Café. For example the Brilliance has a bagel bar in the Solarium separate of the Park Café which is also in the Solarium. Additionally it's available at breakfast in the MDR . It can also be order through room service by writing it on the menu.

Edited by xxoocruiser

I had a similar experience to the OP, where it was only available after Wednesday, but then it ran out Thurs morning before I got there, and then it was unavailable the rest of the time in WJ. (Jewel 12/14-21st)

When eating breakfast in the Jammie, my routine is always to pick one of the too salty foods such as lox, bacon or sausage. I had a checkup after my recent Allure cruise and my blood pressure was way too high. Unless I see the lox tray I don't even think about it.

On my recent Navigator TA, I found smoked salmon and all the fixings...except for cream cheese! I thought I was just missing it so I asked, and was told we are out of cream cheese! In fairness, this was toward the end of the cruise.

There was plenty of salmon on the Grandeur in November! I can't testify to the quality as only my husbands partakes but he would be quite distressed if it went away on our next cruise on the Explorer in March 2014!

When eating breakfast in the Jammie, my routine is always to pick one of the too salty foods such as lox, bacon or sausage. I had a checkup after my recent Allure cruise and my blood pressure was way too high. Unless I see the lox tray I don't even think about it.

Oh yes we did 3 cruises within 6 weeks last year. HAd blood work done after it was over....cholesterol and triglyceride numbers had peaked significantly...2 month's of low carb and good eating brought everything back down to good numbers. amazing how bad things get so quickly with bad eating!! Also amazing how things turn around when good eating habits resume.

It's no longer in the WJ on Enchantment at all, it's in Park Cafe. If you want it in the WJ you have to request it. I found the chefs in the WJ very receptive to this request. One even went so far to garnish my plate of salmon with all of the normal garnish you would want with such a breakfast.

Recently back from a December B2B on the Oasis and Freedom. I noticed that the previously available smoked salmon is getting served less frequently in the Windjammer.

I love smoked salmon for breakfast, much better for my diet over sausage, bacon or cold cuts.

On the Oasis I couldn't find smoked salmon in the Windjammer for the beginning of the cruise. I sought out the Windjammer head chef and he said "no salmon until Wednesday" (reminded me of the Seinfeld soup ****). He said I could get it in the main dining room - no thanks, I prefer the Windjammer.

On the Freedom it was also missing some mornings in the Windjammer but it was cheerfully supplied by request by the chef behind the buffet station.

Also the Freedom main dining room salad bar on sea days had fewer toppings available like prosciutto (OK - not so good for my diet).

Just posting in the hope our feedback will bring it back. I listed my concerns on the cruise survey.

Go to the MDR SS plate everyday

We were on the 12-8 sailing of the Allure and was told in the WJ that lox would not be served there but could be found either in the main dining room or at Park Cafe. My husband would swing by the Park Cafe to pick up his lox and fixings and then meet up with me in the WJ. Was told later in the week that it would be back in the WJ on Thursday and it was. We heard many complaints about this during the week.

I'm not normally a conspiracy person....BUT...I do have some very good friends who are nuclear physicists (I don't know why they are friends with me..) anyway, they both have warned of not eating any pacific fish, particularly salmon, halibut, and tuna. Maybe small quantities wouldn't lead to long term problems or maybe the warning is for awhile until more is known around the radiation levels, but either way, I thought I would pass along. In that sense, maybe it's a good thing there is not as much available?

Perhaps it's in the non smoking section. :eek::eek:

This was also the case on Allure in November 2013. No lox in the WJ for breakfast until later in the cruise. We were told to request it there, and a server would run to another kitchen to get it for us.

I've never had an issues with the quality of it, though. On occasion it has been difficult to find cream cheese, and this time around when they finally did have lox in the WJ, they didn't have capers! I did request those, and they were brought to me. For the rest of the week, there were lox and capers out in the WJ every morning.

Judging from the wide range of responses, I would speculate it may have more to do with a supply chain issue. Many folks are reporting it is not available until a few days into a cruise. To me that would indicate a supply issue at a ships homeport, if the salmon cannot be acquired at the homeport it will be picked up at one of the port stops where the supply of salmon is readily available. This issue could also be based on a cheaper price for salmon abroad versus here in the US.