Childfree Disney cruises?

DumbSheila

Does anyone know if Disney does any childfree cruises? My husband and I would love to cruise on Disney at least once but we want to be the kids, not be around them. I know they have a bunch of adults only places on the ships but that's not what we are looking for. Can anyone help?

(For the record, we aren't anti-kid. We just love all things Disney and know that kids and Disney go hand in hand, but we are hoping that in our wildest dreams, we can go to Disney and not be around children!)

Search the forum for Disney Adults - you will get tons of reviews and comments.

Does anyone know if Disney does any childfree cruises? My husband and I would love to cruise on Disney at least once but we want to be the kids, not be around them. I know they have a bunch of adults only places on the ships but that's not what we are looking for. Can anyone help?

(For the record, we aren't anti-kid. We just love all things Disney and know that kids and Disney go hand in hand, but we are hoping that in our wildest dreams, we can go to Disney and not be around children!)

Pretty sure Disney hasn't done any child-free cruises. But there are cruises that have a minimal amount of children on them. The longer, off season cruises tend to have a lot fewer children on them. Our 15 night Panama Canal cruise only had under 500 kids (the norm on a Disney cruise is about 1500). And there were well controlled with the kids club activities. They even had a sleep-over one night (so parents could take the night off).

Just the fact that it's Disney will encourage cruises that have children on them. I'm not sure they could fill the ships with adults only.

Yea that's what I was thinking. It's Disney--of course they have kids.

I've done a lot of google searching for adults only ones but couldn't find any so I figured I'd ask some cruise experts!

Does anyone know of any adults only cruises?

I've done a lot of google searching for adults only ones but couldn't find any so I figured I'd ask some cruise experts!

I'm not sure that there are any adult-only cruises. Some of the smaller, European based cruises maybe. I know that some cruises wind up being essentially adult only just because of when/where they are.

Our recent Panama Canal cruise (HAL) only had 6 kids on it (all under 12, no teens). And 2 of them were crew member kids, while one was one of the entertainer's kids (so was only onboard like 3 days). Very seldom saw any of them onboard.

DCL has never done any child free cruises. However, on some of the long cruises that occur during traditional school year, they have had very few children. This specifically occurs on the trans-Atlantics. On these cruises, they had specific activities for adults only in the Oceaneer's Lab! These were the same activities they do for the kids (like making flubber) with a bit of an adult twist.

On our 2005 Panama Crossing (DCL), there were a total of 15 teens. However, there were a few hundred toddlers/infants. On our most recent Trans-Atlantic, we were told there were 450 kids total (normal is 1000-1200 on the Magic), and most were young.

Edited by moki'smommy

They never have. Ever. And they never will.

I've been on 12 Disney cruises, including "special" longer cruises, 10 nights, 11 nights, Panama Canal.....and even though there are LESS kids, it can still be a nightmare for adults seeking adult time. The lobby is ALWAYS crowded at dinner time, because they have photo stations set up with the Disney characters. During the day, they hold a lot of kiddie games in the lobby also.

Even though the adult pools are supposed to be adult-only, there will be some kids walking through....especially on the Dream and Fantasy, because of the layout of the ship, anyone in a forward cabin pretty much HAS to pass through the adult pool area, and often times kids who are left on their own in the family and kid's pools will come searching for mom and/or dad in the adult area.

I've seen times when the ship is full, families using the tables in the adult area to sit and eat their lunches....

Anyway, if you really want adult only, it can't be found on a Disney cruise.

Windstar strongly discourages children. They have no clubs, no child care, no special menus, no amenities for children at all, and won't even take bookings for under age six. They might be what you are seeking. Having cruised them and DCL, I prefer Windstar if I am cruising without children. It's an entirely different vibe and better value.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

Royal Caribbean does an adults-only cruise once or twice a year, but it's a "lifestyle" cruise (read: nudists and swingers). However, from reviews I've read, less than half the passengers actually are swingers or nudists; the rest just go because they want an adults-only vacation. There are a few reviews from this year's and last year's cruise on the Royal boards. I haven't been on one, but stumbled across the reviews when I was looking for an adults-only cruise (which we never found on the major lines, btw).

Our Celebrity Xpedition cruise to the Galapagos "strongly discouraged" kids under 12. On our cruise there were two older teenagers and one girl around 10, all very well-behaved. It's a small ship, though - 99 passengers, max - and only one dinner seating, so if someone brings a kid onboard, you will know it.

FWIW, on both of my Disney cruises the kids were hardly noticeable, except when we stood in line for the aquaduck or went to the shows in the theater - I think they are so busy in the kids' clubs, there aren't a lot of kids in the public areas. On my excursion in Nassau (chocolate tour) there was only one pre-teen, and the rest were adults. We did have late dinner and stuck to the adults-only areas quite a bit, but even when we didn't, there weren't a ton of kids, except for at the production shows.

Slight derail. Looking at the Celebrity Galapagos cruise in 2016... Your comments would be appreciated from the viewpoint of someone who has cruised Disney. No kids for us BTW.

If you wouldn't mind, you can email at panamacanal at pamandjeff dot net

Thanks!

Royal Caribbean does an adults-only cruise once or twice a year, but it's a "lifestyle" cruise (read: nudists and swingers). However, from reviews I've read, less than half the passengers actually are swingers or nudists; the rest just go because they want an adults-only vacation. There are a few reviews from this year's and last year's cruise on the Royal boards. I haven't been on one, but stumbled across the reviews when I was looking for an adults-only cruise (which we never found on the major lines, btw).

Our Celebrity Xpedition cruise to the Galapagos "strongly discouraged" kids under 12. On our cruise there were two older teenagers and one girl around 10, all very well-behaved. It's a small ship, though - 99 passengers, max - and only one dinner seating, so if someone brings a kid onboard, you will know it.

FWIW, on both of my Disney cruises the kids were hardly noticeable, except when we stood in line for the aquaduck or went to the shows in the theater - I think they are so busy in the kids' clubs, there aren't a lot of kids in the public areas. On my excursion in Nassau (chocolate tour) there was only one pre-teen, and the rest were adults. We did have late dinner and stuck to the adults-only areas quite a bit, but even when we didn't, there weren't a ton of kids, except for at the production shows.

Royal Caribbean does an adults-only cruise once or twice a year, but it's a "lifestyle" cruise (read: nudists and swingers). However, from reviews I've read, less than half the passengers actually are swingers or nudists; the rest just go because they want an adults-only vacation. There are a few reviews from this year's and last year's cruise on the Royal boards. I haven't been on one, but stumbled across the reviews when I was looking for an adults-only cruise (which we never found on the major lines, btw). .

Here are a couple of the reviews - i think the second one has more info:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1742258&highlight=adult+lifestyle

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1946520&highlight=adult+lifestyle

Slight derail. Looking at the Celebrity Galapagos cruise in 2016... Your comments would be appreciated from the viewpoint of someone who has cruised Disney. No kids for us BTW.

If you wouldn't mind, you can email at panamacanal at pamandjeff dot net

Thanks!

Certainly! I'm about to head out for the evening, but I'll drop you an email later tonight or tomorrow. Long story short, the Galapagos cruise was by far our favorite cruise (and probably second-favorite trip ever, second only to a 3 month Australia/New Zealand land trip we were lucky enough to take). Do it! :D

Renaissance used to be adults only. They went bankrupt. There may be a lesson there.

You could charter the cruise and make it adults only! :D I think that's the only way that Disney would ever have an adults-only cruise.

Very true. One of the very first DVC Member Cruises was like that. I think they said we had maybe 100-200 kids on board. I remember everyone talking how crowded Serenity Bay was. We went to the family beach and it seemed deserted. :)

We are a childfree couple and have always enjoyed our Disney cruises.

the only 'adults only' cruises i know of, are the natural-lovers cruises (dare i say ... nude).. and Carnival does one i think of this type.. but you would have to search for THEME cruises to find this one.. it might be the Bare Necessities club that puts it on.. or one of the other national clubs.. not sure.. but i would bet to say thats as close to adults only

Haha, it's funny that Serenity Bay was anything but serene for you! :)

Actually that cruise we skipped Serenity Bay and did the family beach. It was others who were complaining. On a somewhat related note two years ago we shared two of the serenity bay cabanas with friends (there were 19 of us total) and had an amazing time on Serenity Bay with our adults only group.

Paul Gauguin cruises allows children, but it is discouraged. They have a "kids club" on select cruises, mainly in the summer for kids 9-17. When we went, there were very few, and they were mainly 10-16. There was one well behaved 8 year old that was a son of one of the guest entertainers for the cruise. So, if you are interested in French Polynesia, I highly recommend it.

Sorry, I just don't have the patience to read all these responses, so I'm just going to address the OPs.

We went on our first DCL, a 3 day, after our CCL this year. There were every bit as many kids on the CCL Dream as there were the DCL Dream. Also, we had out 10th anniversary this year and have no kids, fyi.

We LOVE WDW. We like rides, running around, we avoid the kiddie parades and have a blast. I think the cruises can be a lot like that. However, just like the parks, I have a blast seeing the lil kids as princesses everywhere. That just doesn't bother me a bit. But then when they get cranky, we move out!

Comparing Disney to other lines, I think DC offers more for kids care and its free til midnight. Other cruises, they have to be picked up for meal times and the kids care closes at 10 or costs after that. So you have a lot more kids roaming the ship, sometimes without supervision, etc. We would see them walk by the icecream machine and just flip the handle as they walked by to let the icecream go all over the floor. Others report them knocking on all the doors in the middle of the night. But I haven't heard of this on a Disney ship. (Anyone else have?)

Here's the basic idea OP. Unless you are going to Sandals which is couples only, expect to see families on vacation WHEREVER YOU GO.

They certainly didn't ruin mine! But I don't have to be around them either. And there are plenty of adult areas to go to, and number is your own veranda if you can get one. That is THE BEST. (Because you can stock your own room with whatever you want and then you have a private deck.) Second important thing, do NOT GO TO EARLY SEATING FOR DINING. We had late seating for our 3 day cruise, our entire party of 7 was adults, and we had no problems for dinner. It was relaxed, the service was impeccable, on pirate night, the place was almost empty. Also, the shows were before dinner, and not nearly as packed (because most of the families had early dining.)

If you get it right, well, comparing DCL/RCCL/CCL, that is the best cruise line I have ever been on. Castaway Cay is amazing.

But then again, we already love Disney and the parks. So keep that in mind.

Happy cruising!

P&O Cruises has three ships in its fleet that are for adults only: Arcadia, Adonia and Oriana. There are some caveats, however. P&O is a British line, so you'd likely have to take a longer flight to reach your embarkation port. It also tends to draw an older clientele. But you won't find any children!

Comparing Disney to other lines, I think DC offers more for kids care and its free til midnight.

Not that it matters, since it's not what the OP asked, but before anyone gets misled:

The nursery on each of the ships, ages 3 months to 3 years, is open on SEA DAYS from 9:00 am to 11:00 pm.

It is NOT free. The charge for the first child is $6 per hour, the 2nd (or more) child is $5 per hour.

While the ship is in port, the hours vary....and they are very minimal.

Edited by MizDaisy

Comparing Disney to other lines, I think DC offers more for kids care and its free til midnight. Other cruises, they have to be picked up for meal times and the kids care closes at 10 or costs after that. So you have a lot more kids roaming the ship, sometimes without supervision, etc. We would see them walk by the icecream machine and just flip the handle as they walked by to let the icecream go all over the floor. Others report them knocking on all the doors in the middle of the night. But I haven't heard of this on a Disney ship. (Anyone else have?)

Honestly, because dinner on DCL is a "show" geared toward kids, most kids eat with their parents, and then go to the clubs, if they want to.

Sadly, we've seen just as many kids roaming, if not more, actually, because parents feel that Disney is a "safe" place to let their kids run loose. The preteen ages will congregate in the stairwells at night (when their parents probably thought they were in a kids' club) and can be terribly disruptive.

If you have a room with a doorbell, the kids love to play "ding dong ditch".

Anyway....I could go on, but after 12 Disney cruises, I can guarantee that it would be irresponsible of me to try to convince anyone that they'd be able to take a Disney cruise (other than the one aforementioned DVC cruise) and NOT see kids everywhere.

Windstar strongly discourages children. They have no clubs, no child care, no special menus, no amenities for children at all, and won't even take bookings for under age six. They might be what you are seeking. Having cruised them and DCL, I prefer Windstar if I am cruising without children. It's an entirely different vibe and better value.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

Ok I am a serious Disney fan ( Grew up down the street from Walt and my family and his frequented the same favorite restaurant) and investor as well in the company.

The entire premise of not only Disney cruises , Disney Land, Disney World is a venue that brings together children. When I say children I mean children of all ages from 6 to 86... I just came back from Disneyland for 2 days last month and enjoyed it just as much as in 1955 !

So no...there will never be a time because it is the interaction between the ages that Walt loved. All activities will be wrapped around family and binding multi-generation . However, in Disney parks there are now restaurants and activities that offer adult experience like wine tasting etc.

If you want to be child free as mentioned, Windstar is a nice option.

However, your best I think is Oceania. They have small 600-1000 pax ships, state they do not have any program or accommodations for children. They are a luxury ship where almost everything is included...including rt Air. from USA. They offer adult enrichment, art classes, cooking classes (where YOU actualy cook ) no fixed dining and no formal nights... Check em out they are priced very close to a Disney cruise.