Royal questions

travel39046

We are booked on the Feb. 9 sailing. I have a few questions: What do they charge for on the deck where the Retreat pool is. I'm a bit confused on whether you pay to use the pool, the chairs?? I've read that it is virtually impossible to book a spot on sea days. If someone has been on this cruise please respond as to what to expect. Next question, if you book a massage does that give you use of the Enclave for the remainder of the day?

We are booked on the Feb. 9 sailing. I have a few questions: What do they charge for on the deck where the Retreat pool is. I'm a bit confused on whether you pay to use the pool, the chairs?? I've read that it is virtually impossible to book a spot on sea days. If someone has been on this cruise please respond as to what to expect. Next question, if you book a massage does that give you use of the Enclave for the remainder of the day?
Can't answer the question about the Enclave but the Retreat pool and loungers are free. The only extra cost loungers at the Retreat are specially nice and thick loungers in sort of curtained-off areas:

DSC02855.JPGDSC02857.JPG

Edited by Pam in CA

We just got off a couple of weeks ago !

1. The curtain off areas were mostly empty during are cruise. People were not happy about the cost.

2. I bought the Enclave for me and my wife it it was worth every dollar. The answer to your question is no. It is a seperate section of the spa. They only sell 40 passes per cruise and it was sold out for our cruise. Let me know and I can send you real time photos of that area !

Thanks caribill, I know they only sell 40 passes, just wondering if I should run right in there or stop at room first. Guess when I am typing this I am realizing it's up to me if I want to take that chance. Lol We are platinum and arrive early so usually board by 12. I will just go straight there. Still wonder how busy it is when sold out for a cruise. :D

1. The curtain off areas were mostly empty during are cruise. People were not happy about the cost.

That's interesting, because for the two weeks I was aboard they were all almost always sold out, every sea day, and I did go up through The Retreat on every sea day. This wasn't even a holiday cruise. Even though they may have appeared 'empty 'at times, there was a brown placard 'Reserved' sign on the table between the loungers of each cabana.

11580471186_b5a171d9dc_c.jpg

11580019374_e55e21bd7d_c.jpg

Thanks caribill, I know they only sell 40 passes, just wondering if I should run right in there or stop at room first. Guess when I am typing this I am realizing it's up to me if I want to take that chance. Lol We are platinum and arrive early so usually board by 12. I will just go straight there. Still wonder how busy it is when sold out for a cruise. :D

The ship was sold out since it was holiday time but the Enclave has been selling out every week from what I have been following. My sold sold out by Sunday night. They do only sell 40 passes for the week so I would make it there by sailing time. They give you a tour of the spa and it is worth every dollar . I have pic's if you want to see it. I used it twice a day and so did my wife !

On the second week of my B2B I went up to the Lotus Spa desk for another tour to get pictures for the 'Bon Voyage' thread. At that time, around 1:30pm, they had sold about half of them. It may have been that not many knew about the week-long passes that early in the day. By time I went to dinner that night I was told all 40 passes had sold out for that cruise.

I'd probably recommend going to the Lotus Spa desk just after you get on the ship and see if they are still available, and if they are, purchase it before you walk away, if that is something that is important to you.

2. I bought the Enclave for me and my wife it it was worth every dollar. The answer to your question is no. It is a seperate section of the spa. They only sell 40 passes per cruise and it was sold out for our cruise. Let me know and I can send you real time photos of that area !

Fielddreamer, I would love to see some picts. I am trying to see exactly what is included. Thanks in advance!

Fielddreamer, I want to book enclave in March. Do I need to run there soon as I board to get a pass? You stated your cruise was sold out, was it crowded?

Go to spa first; before you go to cabin. Deck 5 near forward elevators.

Thank you so much for all the information. Since this is our first Princess do you think there is a chance we could get a pass? It sounds like you have to be platinum to get there in time. Do the loungers sell out as quickly as the Enclave? Since this is our first Princess cruise I would also like to ask, is the MDR food good? We were Celebrity for our last two cruises and even though the ship was awesome, the food had no taste. We ended up eating in the speciality restaurants every night.

That's interesting, because for the two weeks I was aboard they were all almost always sold out, every sea day, and I did go up through The Retreat on every sea day. This wasn't even a holiday cruise. Even though they may have appeared 'empty 'at times, there was a brown placard 'Reserved' sign on the table between the loungers of each cabana.

11580471186_b5a171d9dc_c.jpg

11580019374_e55e21bd7d_c.jpg

Dave

Don't you think those reserved signs were there so random people wouldn't sit down without realizing they had to pay? (That saves the staff explaining over and over)

We always book the Sanctuary for the week and when the staff knows the loungers are reserved they cover them with the towels first thing every morning.

The ones that aren't reserved for the week look like the ones in your photos with rolled up towels.

Edited by chamima

Dave

Don't you think those reserved signs were there so random people wouldn't sit down without realizing they had to pay? (That saves the staff explaining over and over)

We always book the Sanctuary for the week and when the staff knows the loungers are reserved they cover them with the towels first thing every morning.

The ones that aren't reserved for the week look like the ones in your photos with rolled up towels.

Looking at the pics they have a reserved sign and the price info, i am still amazed people will pay dollars to sit on adeck chair a few feet away from the freebie ones, a bold move by princess. Ot sure if its been a finacial success

Hope you don't mind me asking it on your thread. What is the difference between the Horizon Court and Horizon Bistro?

Bistro has regular seating as well as hightop seating. Bistro also has a few items that are not available in HC. Especially at breakfast when they make all kinds of egg stuff. Or later on when they have skewered stuff. You need to check everywhere. The entire buffet area is huge with all types of food.

Oh yes, Bistro is closer to the bakery.

Edited by Pia1913

Dave

I was told both the Reserved sign as well as the pricing placard were placed in the Cabana to indicate that it was indeed reserved, but to also provide the needed information to those who wanted to rent them later on in the cruise. The only time I ever saw towels rolled out over the padded loungers in the Retreat was when people were actually laying on top of them, and not before like as you have mentioned with The Sanctuary (maybe because it's windier in the Retreat that in The Sanctuary?). This was even when they had the Reserved sign on them. One day when it was really windy topside I asked them what happened if the Cabana was rented but unusable due to very windy conditions, and I was told the passenger would be refunded. For the rest of the cruise every time I walked through there, or viewed the pool decks and Retreat from Decks 18/19 forward, the Cabanas were in use.

11205727993_5113cd66bc_c.jpg

11579817245_3468cb9c16_c.jpg

Thank you so much for all the information. Since this is our first Princess do you think there is a chance we could get a pass? It sounds like you have to be platinum to get there in time. Do the loungers sell out as quickly as the Enclave? Since this is our first Princess cruise I would also like to ask, is the MDR food good? We were Celebrity for our last two cruises and even though the ship was awesome, the food had no taste. We ended up eating in the speciality restaurants every night.

The Sanctuary will be the hardest to get a full-cruise reservation for, so if that is the most important venue to you then head there first. While up there also ask about the Cabana rentals in the Retreat. After that I'd probably hit up the Lotus Spa reception desk for availability of Enclave passes.

Food is one of the most subjective aspects of a cruise depending in your normal eating-in and dining-out habits at home. There were those who spent weeks on Royal Princess and enjoyed most of there meals at the Lido Deck venues, and others that swore the food was bad and selection was awful. I was on the ship for two weeks and there was nothing that I ate that I wouldn't eat again except maybe at Fondue's, which was fine, but I couldn't justify the surcharge a second time.

...i am still amazed people will pay dollars to sit on adeck chair a few feet away from the freebie ones, a bold move by princess. Ot sure if its been a finacial success
The loungers are MUCH better than the free ones, which I find extremely uncomfortable and thus unusable. I'd pay extra just for those loungers. However, I'd rather pay for them in the Sanctuary where there are attendants and quiet than the Retreat.

The Horizon Bistro also has a lot more salad offerings for lunch, with bowls of shredded turkey, ham, chicken, etc. I loved making a chef's salad with the fixings:

ImageUploadedByForums1388983383.049555.jpg.8682608e5dec1d4316708e41be0cd8e3.jpg

The Bistro has sandwiches made to order as well as the hibachi grill.