Recording your cruise

At Sea 4Ever

My DH and I always video our cruises. It doesn't matter how many times we've been on the ship or if nothing is new. We do it to bring our vacation memories home to share and also so we can relive our cruise anytime we want. We literally video almost every second our our trip. For some it may seem like a pain but we truly enjoy it! Does anyone else video their trips or at least carry a camera everywhere? Sometimes we feel like we are the only two people on the ship capturing our memories. With technology being what it is today do other people do what we do? It's a silly question but something I'm very curious about!

I used to take a lot of video & photos and make production videos with music and graphics.

But after the 6 cruise or so, it seemed to be the same thing over & over.

We still bring the cameras but only take pictures every so often.

It's too much hassle carrying the cameras everywhere and you wind up spending all your time "taking pictures'.

You really want to be one of those people walking around everywhere filming their family-- "Say Hi!, Say Hi!, Say Hi!, Wave, Wave, Say Hi!" ??

I definitely appreciate the video-ers when I'm on dry land and looking to live vicariously, but I'm terrible at taking videos or even pictures on any trip, cruise or not. I have my memories in my head. This is a double edged sword for me.

I have a lot of awesome vids of sailing into ports, sailing out of ports, sunrises, sunsets, rainbows, etc, and even a topless bather (for novelty, not as a voyeur) on an adjacent ship. I may not even bring my highest def and best zooming camcorder on our upcoming cruise. That's just another battery to worry about keeping charged. My girlfriend gave me a pocket size digital underwater camcorder for Christmas 2012...this does me just fine.

I've seen some really cool compilation videos over the years! I think if you are those kinds of folks, who will actually edit it all and make a concise compilation, and you like it, then it's great! What we found is that we never get the time to edit them, and then we never look at them again;)

I like to get some video of family events, because nothing is more precious than having sound and moving pictures to remember loved ones once they are gone. :( If I went on a big reunion cruise I would take more video for that reason.

We take lots of stills for two reasons- 1) it's a hobby for DH who doesn't sit well. ;)And 2) we are really good about getting stills onto FB, into real albums, into frames, into reviews and even family photo calendars. I made actual photo books from our trips to French Polynesia and the Galapagos, and am working on Africa now. Most of our Caribbean cruises end up with a FB album and a few prints in the family photo album.

Hope to see your videos one day !

I love picture and video reviews, and would love to see it. Oasis is so different from the 3 ships we have that are doing the Aussie season.

It takes a fair bit of time, I have only done a couple of smaller picture reviews, but it helps people that don't know what to expect, or even helps me remember how much fun we had if it is a similar ship.

Even if some people have done reviews, I find everyone gets a different perspective, so every review has something new. We tend to focus on areas and features of the ships these days without us in the picture, and just take a few with us in them for personal keepsakes. That way I feel more comfortable putting them on the net, but I always enjoy pics with other people in them too.

I do like to take a camera with much of the time and we do the odd video also. With digital it doesn't matter if it is not good, you just delete and no money wasted. Sometimes though it is important to put the camera down and soak up the atmosphere.

Edited by kjsmith63

My dh is a camera/video maniac when we take a trip.

He put together a 10 disc movie of our Baltic crusie. I'm sure our Med one will be longer since we were on vacation a few more days :)

I personally love taking still pictures, I scrapbook so I love re-living our trip when I create the albums. My teens also love to take pictures of our trips.

My dh is a camera/video maniac when we take a trip.

He put together a 10 disc movie of our Baltic crusie. I'm sure our Med one will be longer since we were on vacation a few more days :)

I personally love taking still pictures, I scrapbook so I love re-living our trip when I create the albums. My teens also love to take pictures of our trips.

We sound a lot alike! My DH is all about the video while I do still and scrapbook. Glad to see we are not the only ones who do this lol.

We just take photos on a camera, many people use their phones as they take reasonable videos and stills.

I have to say though that one of my bug bears are people who use their videos and believe thay have the right to be at the front for everything (and for many minutes) just because they are videoing and forget about other people who just want to watch the performance, experience the train/boat ride etc etc or who want to take a quick photo

Rant over

Sandy in Spain

Of our upcoming cruise on the oasis with video and pics. Would anyone be interested ?

There have been many reviews, pictures, and videos posted of Oasis. I'm certain that there would be people interested, but IMO I would just do it for my own use and memory. Please take no offense with this, but it is one thing to document the ship and the ports for others' reference, but "home movies" of you and your family would have limited mass public appeal - again just my opinion.

That being said, we too have many pictures and videos of our cruises for our personal use, which to us is the only value. But Oasis is a very unique ship and certainly one, based on your comments, from which you will want to retain memories in pictures and videos.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

We just take photos on a camera, many people use their phones as they take reasonable videos and stills.

I have to say though that one of my bug bears are people who use their videos and believe thay have the right to be at the front for everything (and for many minutes) just because they are videoing and forget about other people who just want to watch the performance, experience the train/boat ride etc etc or who want to take a quick photo

Rant over

Sandy in Spain

I so agree with you! We can't stand that either! Especially those with the iPad and they are just shoving it in peoples faces to get a video. You have to be respectful of those around you when recording.

There have been many reviews, pictures, and videos posted of Oasis. I'm certain that there would be people interested, but IMO I would just do it for my own use and memory. Please take no offense with this, but it is one thing to document the ship and the ports for others' reference, but "home movies" of you and your family would have limited mass public appeal - again just my opinion.

That being said, we too have many pictures and videos of our cruises for our personal use, which to us is the only value. But Oasis is a very unique ship and certainly one, based on your comments, from which you will want to retain memories in pictures and videos.

What's the matter you wouldn't want to see hours of my DH and I walking around with a camera in our face lol! We already have our family sitting thru it don't worry we won't make our cruise critic friends do the same lol. If I do the review it will only be informative. Thanks for the feedback!

What's the matter you wouldn't want to see hours of my DH and I walking around with a camera in our face lol! We already have our family sitting thru it don't worry we won't make our cruise critic friends do the same lol. If I do the review it will only be informative. Thanks for the feedback!

Trust me - you wouldn't want to see any of me either! Informative pictures and videos are always good but keep in mind Oasis (and Allure) have been at sea for nearly five years (in fact Oasis is headed to it's scheduled 5 year dry dock this coming fall) so there have been tons of reviews, pictures etc., already done on them.

Enjoy Oasis - been on her twice and loved it both times.

Very timely thread for me. We took A LOT of pictures (stills) on our first few cruises and then stopped. I felt like we were missing the experience to get the pictures. And it seems boring.

But now that I've been looking back over our photos I miss not having photos of those later cruises. What cabin did we have? Do you remember that couple we played trivia with? Did we even get off the ship in that port? Which trip was it where we did X? It's amazing what we've forgotten.

And I realized we DO like to go over the pictures. It's fun.

DH and I talked about it and decided that a better camera might help. Our prior trips we either used a point and shoot that had a very poor viewing monitor thingie and horrible viewfinder so we couldn't see what we were taking pictures of. And my cell phone really ... well it has a camera but the lens is a piece of plastic.

So TODAY our new camera is arriving. It will allow me to take better pictures in a wider range of places automatically, and will allow DH to fine tune and adjust when he wants to take something a bit more challenging or artistic.

And THIS trip we will be taking a lot of pictures. I hope we've found a way to better balance experiencing and documenting.

THanks for the thread it's made me even more excited about getting the camera so I can learn to use it easily before our March cruise.:):)

Trust me - you wouldn't want to see any of me either! Informative pictures and videos are always good but keep in mind Oasis (and Allure) have been at sea for nearly five years (in fact Oasis is headed to it's scheduled 5 year dry dock this coming fall) so there have been tons of reviews, pictures etc., already done on them.

Enjoy Oasis - been on her twice and loved it both times.

I wish I was a member of cruise critic back when we did a b2b on allure! That would have been great considering the ship was brand new at the time and people showed a ton of interest.

Rant over

Sandy in Spain

Simple solution. Just walk in front of them and block their shot or push them occasionally so that the camera juggles.

On the other hand, if I have gotten up early to stake out a really good spot at the rail to take pictures of say the Panama Canal and someone walks up and asks if they can take just one picture - I politely say that I got there first. If they say that they just want to take one picture, I again politely say say that they should have gotten up earlier.

DON

My DH and I always video our cruises. It doesn't matter how many times we've been on the ship or if nothing is new. We do it to bring our vacation memories home to share and also so we can relive our cruise anytime we want. We literally video almost every second our our trip. For some it may seem like a pain but we truly enjoy it! Does anyone else video their trips or at least carry a camera everywhere? Sometimes we feel like we are the only two people on the ship capturing our memories. With technology being what it is today do other people do what we do? It's a silly question but something I'm very curious about!

Stills, yes. Videography, no. Time-lapse video from a still camera clamped to our balcony divider, yes, and that has been really neat.

When I say stills, I mean stills. We spent $1300 to rent more camera gear for our last cruise, and we might spend >$2000 next time. Alaska is such a photographer's heaven and I enjoy using the big monster lenses, so I save up for it and work extra projects to make it happen. :)

Very timely thread for me. We took A LOT of pictures (stills) on our first few cruises and then stopped. I felt like we were missing the experience to get the pictures. And it seems boring.

But now that I've been looking back over our photos I miss not having photos of those later cruises. What cabin did we have? Do you remember that couple we played trivia with? Did we even get off the ship in that port? Which trip was it where we did X? It's amazing what we've forgotten.

And I realized we DO like to go over the pictures. It's fun.

DH and I talked about it and decided that a better camera might help. Our prior trips we either used a point and shoot that had a very poor viewing monitor thingie and horrible viewfinder so we couldn't see what we were taking pictures of. And my cell phone really ... well it has a camera but the lens is a piece of plastic.

So TODAY our new camera is arriving. It will allow me to take better pictures in a wider range of places automatically, and will allow DH to fine tune and adjust when he wants to take something a bit more challenging or artistic.

And THIS trip we will be taking a lot of pictures. I hope we've found a way to better balance experiencing and documenting.

THanks for the thread it's made me even more excited about getting the camera so I can learn to use it easily before our March cruise.:):)

That's great!! Yea we realized that some trips we didn't take as many pictures and kinda felt disappointed after we got home. It's nice to have physical memories you can share. What ship are you going on in march?

I'd have to dig our camcorder out of the bottom of the closet and vacuum the dust off to see if it still works. It is small, handheld, not a huge thing. But we used it all of once on a cruise, my husband doing most of the shooting. He was horrible, re-watching the video made me seasick, so it got watched only once. He also got tired of being stuck behind the camera and decided he wanted to be a part of the vacation, not just videoing the thing.

I do take some pictures during cruises, but not a whole lot. A couple of the cabin, some at dinner or around the ship. We'll take it onshore and get a few shots. I suppose we're in the minority, a week long cruise and we probably have less than 100 shots. Many of them are on the same card, so if and when we bother to go through them, we debate which cruise it was.

Italy and Alaska were different, we took a whole lot more photos those cruises. The only video I took with my little camera (just a digital, not a camcorder) was entering Venice in the early morning, hearing the church bells ring. I didn't let my husband hold the camera that time, so the video is still :p