Live on Sojourn's World Cruise

tv24

I suspect visitors to Thailand will be safe.

Protesting Thai style is somewhat unique. What may seem like an angry mob out of control is actually anything but. Western tourists are not the target and ultimately King Bhumibol Adulyadej is still the highly revered and respected steadying force. It was revealing to see the protestors dismantling their barricades and cleaning up in time for the King's birthday celebration recently. I couldn't see that happening with the London poll tax riots or the more recent riots of 2013.

We may well be out there in April to celebrate Songkran, my father and stepmother have just returned from a wedding there and at no time have the protests been a consideration.

Laem Chabang is a couple of hours away from the main Bangkok centre. Given the localised nature of any protests you would have to put in special efforts to see any evidence they were happening.

The world is a moving stage but were we flying out to Thailand tomorrow my biggest worry would be making sure I hadn't forgotten to pack anything :)

Be alert and aware but not alarmed.

Henry :)

Edited by Able Seaman H

I was in Bangkok during the last big wave of protests (where there were many deaths and several buildings gutted). If you were not near the action, you didn't know anything was going on other than tighter security at the airport and hotels. The Bangkok Post and bloggers usually have great maps showing the action - steer clear of that and you'll notice nothing except fewer tourists.

I have friends living there and they say it's mostly business as usual other than altering daily commutes to avoid the crowds.

Ravenscroft: No announcements yet about how the chaos in Bangkok might affect the Sojourn. This was a topic of conversation the other night over dinner. We mostly agreed that if the situation is dicey, Seabourn will do something to keep us all safe. Note we will not be on board then, as we will disembark in Hong Kong to meet up with friends for a Celebrity cruise to Singapore. But we are very interested in Celebrity's overnight excursion that flies from Viet Nam to Siem Rep in Cambodia, and then rejoins the cruise in Bangkok. That also may be affected by the unrest in Bangkok.

Thank you for your reply, I did expect that it may have been discussed by guests onboard if even nothing official from Seabourn yet.

On the particular Crystal cruise I was looking at, Crystal has replaced its overnight in Bangkok with a day in Koh Samui and a port in Cambodia called Sihanoukville. That would have suited me well, as I must admit that I'm not interested in seeing Bangkok at all, even less so with it requiring 2 hours in traffic to get there, and another two back to the ship. I'll no doubt stay on board on those two days anyway. Although I've read reports that the port there can be enveloped in smog so a day on the ship may be miserable too.

Sorry we won't have the opportunity to meet you.

Edited by Ravenscroft

Roxburgh - you and I definitely share a taste in 'scrambled egg' soufflés ! I do like the Grand Marnier one that you mentioned too. Glad to hear all was well on the Quest in that regard.

Laylam - thank you for the recipe, I will give it a try.

Ravenscroft: I am also sorry that we won't meet you.

A couple of nights ago, Assistant Cruise Director Sophie Tehrani entertained us with a superb show. She has talent, is charming & beautiful, the total package. Seabourn should elevate her to headline status.

Today we docked in Sydney. Said goodbye to some passengers, and will meet some new ones in the days to come. What a beautiful city on this gorgeous sunny, mild day. Had a lovely ferry ride to Watson's Bay.

Turned in our comment card on the first segment of the World Cruise. Made lots of comments on the hit-and-miss food in the Main Restaurant and the Colonnade. Will hold off on a review until after we disembark in Hong Kong.

Yesterday I went to a Japanese restaurant in South Kensington for lunch. It's a place with about 20 seats along a conveyor with a sushi chef assembling specials while hot and cold food such as soups, fried and marinated dishes are conveyor-sent from the kitchen. The place was full of Asian students, coiffed mamans from the lycee, business people and us. Very simple but authentic, high quality and tasty small plates. The bill for two was about $32. The real thing and I hasten to add that the front chef was Indian.

Now... Why cannot R2 offer a Japanese fixed menu with 2 small dishes of soup and then marinated, cold, hot and sweet dishes too. With 40 diners on a reservations-only and predictable basis the regimen seems ideal. Heck, Seabourn ships don't even carry sake. Let's get with the program Seabourn.

Come on!

Happy sailing!

Yesterday I went to a Japanese restaurant in South Kensington for lunch. It's a place with about 20 seats along a conveyor with a sushi chef assembling specials while hot and cold food such as soups, fried and marinated dishes are conveyor-sent from the kitchen. The place was full of Asian students, coiffed mamans from the lycee, business people and us. Very simple but authentic, high quality and tasty small plates. The bill for two was about $32. The real thing and I hasten to add that the front chef was Indian.

Now... Why cannot R2 offer a Japanese fixed menu with 2 small dishes of soup and then marinated, cold, hot and sweet dishes too. With 40 diners on a reservations-only and predictable basis the regimen seems ideal. Heck, Seabourn ships don't even carry sake. Let's get with the program Seabourn.

Come on!

Happy sailing!

Kulu Kulu in Thurloe Place.:)

You go, Markham! Maybe I have missed something, but after 36 days on the World Cruise, I have seen sushi only once, and that was at the big galley buffet in the Main Resto. Maybe it's been in the Colonnade and I have stupidly zipped right by it??? Anyway, it's a standard on other cruise lines, super popular around the world, why not more? And good quality, please, please, please!

So desu.

no kawaii -

Part of the problem (imo) is that the corporate chefs from Seabourn don't seem to actually venture outside their offices. I've been to Seattle and have friends that live there. There's no excuse for the poor versions of Asian foods that come out of corporate offices (eg: that Vietnamese spring roll abomination). Supposedly on my next two cruises on the Pride a corporate chef will be on board. You can be sure that Ill be talking to him about the lines inability to do Asian food (even Indian).

TV24,

You can special order sushi any time you want. I believe Host Dan gets a standing order for lunch every day.

Thanks, Wripro. Last night Heather Clancy gave a very well-received show. Lots of talent there. Today we are in Burnie, Tasmania. Locals are incredibly charming and welcoming. Maybe we are the first cruise ship they have seen in a long time? Cute town, but not much here other than a little museum and a paper mill. Passengers are scratching their heads as to why Seabourn chose this port.

Thanks, Wripro. Last night Heather Clancy gave a very well-received show. Lots of talent there. Today we are in Burnie, Tasmania. Locals are incredibly charming and welcoming. Maybe we are the first cruise ship they have seen in a long time? Cute town, but not much here other than a little museum and a paper mill. Passengers are scratching their heads as to why Seabourn chose this port.

Sometimes I think cruise lines pick ports just because other lines don't go there - even if there isn't much (or anything) to the port. Alternatively a port may be chosen solely to break up sea days.

Too late now, but I would highly recommend future cruisers, who find themselves in Burnie, and have enough time, take a tour to Cradle Mountain NP (about 1.5hrs drive away).

We took one of the trips called Devils and Roos which gave us a chance to see the countryside and learn some history. Unfortunately we were not aware that there is currently an exhibit of Da Vinci Machines in Burnie until our guide mentioned it. I wonder if anyone did manage see it: http://www.burniearts.net/Whats-On/Exhibitions/Da-Vinci-Machines-Exhibition

Too late now, but I would highly recommend future cruisers, who find themselves in Burnie, and have enough time, take a tour to Cradle Mountain NP (about 1.5hrs drive away).

Yep definitely Cradle Mountain

Burnie is like Chacabuco ;)

It's a beautiful day on Kangaroo Island without much to do except sit in an internet cafe and catch up on business. Last tender back to the Sojourn departs at 6:30, too early to see the penguins return from their daily fishing. Passengers are aimlessly walking about. Maybe we should spend the day aboard our beautiful ship?

tv24, what a pity you could not find anything to do on Kangaroo Island. I don't know what tours Seabourn offered, and maybe you are one who likes to do things on your own, but a little research would have shown you that KI is an outback / wilderness experience rather than shopping malls. There are plenty of private 4x4 tours available going to the Chase National Park where you would see wallabies and koalas, then go to the beach for a walk through colonies of wild fur seals, visit Remarkable Rocks, Admirals Arch just to name a few sights.

I see today you are in Adelaide (my home town) and once again, we are a small town -not Sydney or Melbourne, but in own way we do have plenty to offer. I admit, we are not looking our best at the moment, but we have just experienced 13 days of over 40C and then 2 days of flooding rain, but today the weather is perfect. Enjoy!

tv24, what a pity you could not find anything to do on Kangaroo Island. I don't know what tours Seabourn offered, and maybe you are one who likes to do things on your own, but a little research would have shown you that KI is an outback / wilderness experience rather than shopping malls. There are plenty of private 4x4 tours available going to the Chase National Park where you would see wallabies and koalas, then go to the beach for a walk through colonies of wild fur seals, visit Remarkable Rocks, Admirals Arch just to name a few sights.

I see today you are in Adelaide (my home town) and once again, we are a small town -not Sydney or Melbourne, but in own way we do have plenty to offer. I admit, we are not looking our best at the moment, but we have just experienced 13 days of over 40C and then 2 days of flooding rain, but today the weather is perfect. Enjoy!

I agree, Kangaroo Island is a treasure only a few outside South Australia know about. Pristine wilderness.

After 45 days on board the Sojourn WC it has not been the best SB world cruise ever to put it mildly. Quite a few bad ports, a lot of indifferent food and wine, a lot of staff not up to SB standard and now for the last two weeks no newspapers at all, the excuse being they can't get the part for the printer or anybody to fix it!!! Despite two days stop in Sydney and two days in Adelaide we are no further forward. It seems SB just don't care about their diamond members! Roll on Hong Kong!

Hi Shelagh. We sailed with you and Larry, Debs and Mandy quite a few years ago. We are booked on the HK to Mumbai segment and were really concerned to hear your comments about your trip so far, particularly in relation to the staff , food and wine. Can you provide us with more details please? Thanks Diane

Hi Shelagh. We sailed with you and Larry, Debs and Mandy quite a few years ago. We are booked on the HK to Mumbai segment and were really concerned to hear your comments about your trip so far, particularly in relation to the staff , food and wine. Can you provide us with more details please? Thanks Diane

We're concerned too, we're taking the HK to Singapore segment.