Why not offer three or four traditional dining seatings?

Don't get me started on how MTD can vary so much, depending on what ship you are on. I've had both good and bad experiences myself. This thread is not intended for pro and con comments about the concept or execution of MTD.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has ideas about how traditional dining could be adapted to be more flexible? A couple of ideas I've thought that might make traditional dining more desireable for some cruisers include having more seatings, and smaller tables at those seatings to accomodate people who want to sit alone or with travelling companions, rather than strangers.

For example, offering seatings at 5:30, 6:30, 7:30 and 8:30 (or some other similar time slots), and have assigned tables that include a higher percentage of 2 tops, 4 tops and 6 tops. As part of the reservation process, offer specific options to the cruisers as to table size, who they would like to sit with (other specific cruisers and/or people they do not know) and dining time. The tables would only need to be reconfigured at the beginning of the cruise, and the dining rooms could be split by sections, based on demand for time slots (the way they currently put MTD in a specific area).

I'm not saying this option would be a replacement for the flexibility that MTD is supposed to offer, but since the bulk of reservations fall between 6:00 to 7:45, perhaps the whole MTD concept would work better if more guests choose traditional dining.

It sounds as if there are a significant percentage of people who make reservations every single day for the same time, and want the same waiters, and the only complaints they have are that they want to eat earlier or later than traditional dining offers, and they don't want to sit with strangers.

Does anyone else have similar ideas that might both satisfy guests and still work smoothly when trying to execute?

Edited by AndieLou

For example, offering seatings at 5:30, 6:30, 7:30 and 8:30

That would work great. :rolleyes:

People arriving at 5:30, some late 5:40. Then having them finished dining at 6:10. Then getting them out by 6:15. Then having the next session ready for 6:30.

Really?

That would work great. :rolleyes:

People arriving at 5:30, some late 5:40. Then having them finished dining at 6:10. Then getting them out by 6:15. Then having the next session ready for 6:30.

Really?

No, it can't work that way….but if you had 3 dining rooms to work with, one could handle the 5:30 and 7:30 seatings, one could handle the 6:30 and 8:30 seatings, and one could handle MTD. :)

Judy

Agreed. Think it would be a good idea to offer three MDR settings. Rather like large tables - wouldn't want them be eliminated to make more 2 and 4 tops.

I was not thinking of eliminating them, I was more thinking of still having some large tables along with more small and mid-sized tables. Lots of people love traditional dining that includes sitting with new people. However, lots of people don't, which is why there would need to be more of the smaller tables. :)

No, it can't work that way….but if you had 3 dining rooms to work with, one could handle the 5:30 and 7:30 seatings, one could handle the 6:30 and 8:30 seatings, and one could handle MTD. :)

Judy

I've often wondered why they couldn't do this by floor. Oasis and Allure have three floors which would work out better.

Don't get me started on how MTD can vary so much, depending on what ship you are on. I've had both good and bad experiences myself. This thread is not intended for pro and con comments about the concept or execution of MTD.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has ideas about how traditional dining could be adapted to be more flexible? A couple of ideas I've thought that might make traditional dining more desireable for some cruisers include having more seatings, and smaller tables at those seatings to accomodate people who want to sit alone or with travelling companions, rather than strangers.

For example, offering seatings at 5:30, 6:30, 7:30 and 8:30 (or some other similar time slots), and have assigned tables that include a higher percentage of 2 tops, 4 tops and 6 tops. As part of the reservation process, offer specific options to the cruisers as to table size, who they would like to sit with (other specific cruisers and/or people they do not know) and dining time. The tables would only need to be reconfigured at the beginning of the cruise, and the dining rooms could be split by sections, based on demand for time slots (the way they currently put MTD in a specific area).

I'm not saying this option would be a replacement for the flexibility that MTD is supposed to offer, but since the bulk of reservations fall between 6:00 to 7:45, perhaps the whole MTD concept would work better if more guests choose traditional dining.

It sounds as if there are a significant percentage of people who make reservations every single day for the same time, and want the same waiters, and the only complaints they have are that they want to eat earlier or later than traditional dining offers, and they don't want to sit with strangers.

Does anyone else have similar ideas that might both satisfy guests and still work smoothly when trying to execute?

I think they will be trying many of your suggestions. Otherwise they will have lots of empty seats.

Did anyone else consider that the number of staff would have to practically double for this to work? And offer MTD as well? I can't see this proposal (4 traditional seating times) being anything other than chaotic. How would staff accomplish this? I see some of them stressed and overwhelmed with 2 traditional dining times.

Sorry, but I don't think this would help things at all. We have 2 traditional times, MTD, WJ buffet, room service, and specialty dining to choose from. Not sure we need 2 more fixed dining times.

I would think your ideas are creative but I could not imagine the logistics in the kitchen....Imagine appetizers, main course, desserts... all being served at the same time in the same pick-up area, with staff pulling double and triple duty to get the meals out in some semblance of order and timing.

I think back when I started cruising somebody (HAL? Carnival?) had a version of this. When we were looking at options for our first cruise I remember options of 6:00, 6:30, 8:00, & 8:30. There was no MTD at the time.

The current RCI dining times in the MDR (early / late seatings) are timed with the shows in the main theater - early seating goes to the late show, late seating goes to the early show. Adding additional times would compromise that. MTD allows the flexibility of dining around these times or at times some passengers would prefer other than the early and late seatings.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Judy

Yes, I see that this could work without having extra staff involved:

• 5.30 sitting & 7.30 sitting in one area - same staff
  • 6.30 sitting & 8.30 sitting in another area - same staff
  • PERHAPS no more MTD except for the above times
  • The galley staff would probably find it easier as the same amount of passengers would be split into 4 distinct dining times

I've tried BOTH traditional dining and MTD and there's pros & cons for both. I've found that the wait-staff seem more relaxed in the traditional dining section whereas the MTD dining staff seem quite stressed at times.

Interesting topic! Thanks for bringing it up!

Gae

Did anyone else consider that the number of staff would have to practically double for this to work? And offer MTD as well? I can't see this proposal (4 traditional seating times) being anything other than chaotic. How would staff accomplish this? I see some of them stressed and overwhelmed with 2 traditional dining times.

Sorry, but I don't think this would help things at all. We have 2 traditional times, MTD, WJ buffet, room service, and specialty dining to choose from. Not sure we need 2 more fixed dining times.

The 4th floor does 5:30 and 7:30, 5th floor does 6:30 and 8:30, portions of both floors are carved out for MTD. You serve the exact same number of people. What's the difference between this and a MTD table turning over 3 times/night? Please convince me it's any different. The staff of one floor is still only responsible for 2 dining times, just like they are today.

I would think your ideas are creative but I could not imagine the logistics in the kitchen....Imagine appetizers, main course, desserts... all being served at the same time in the same pick-up area, with staff pulling double and triple duty to get the meals out in some semblance of order and timing.

That's exactly what happens today with MTD. Every 15 minutes someone new shows up and starts dinner.

If Traditional dining were to change to 4 seatings, rather then 2 seatings, while rotating between 2 levels, 1/2 of the dining room would be empty at all times, as only 1/2 of the tables would be used for any given dining time. This would be a huge waste of space for Royal.

If Traditional dining were to change to 4 seatings, rather then 2 seatings, while rotating between 2 levels, 1/2 of the dining room would be empty at all times, as only 1/2 of the tables would be used for any given dining time. This would be a huge waste of space for Royal.

Half would not be empty the whole time. Only for the first hour and the last hour. Given the scenario of 4th floor doing 5:30 and 7:30, and 5th floor doing 6:30 and 8:30 (and allocating 2 hours for each seating, as is done now):

5:30 - 6:30: 4th floor full (5:30 seating), 5th floor empty

6:30 - 7:30: 4th floor full (5:30 seating), 5th floor full (6:30 seating)

7:30 - 8:30: 4th floor full (7:30 seating), 5th floor full (6:30 seating)

8:30 - 9:30: 4th floor full (7:30 seating), 5th floor full (8:30 seating)

9:30 - 10:30: 4th floor empty, 5th floor full (8:30 seating)

Edited by time4u2go

I think back when I started cruising somebody (HAL? Carnival?) had a version of this. When we were looking at options for our first cruise I remember options of 6:00, 6:30, 8:00, & 8:30. There was no MTD at the time.

I remember that

Carnival used to do it on Destiny and Conquest class ships

Since they had a mid ship and aft MDR it was an easy option

I remember that

Carnival used to do it on Destiny and Conquest class ships

Since they had a mid ship and aft MDR it was an easy option

I remember this too on at least one of our Carnival cruises. When asked about it, they said it actually made it easier because they didn't have to present so many meals at almost the exact same time.

I don't understand????

Floor 4 busy from 5:30-9:30 +++ MTD

Floor 5 busy from 6:30-10:30 +++ MTD

The concept of 4 dining times I believe to be very good. Reducing the number of large tables though I see does present a couple of logistical issues. The amount of space required for a 10-top is significantly less than 5 2-tops. Include that in with the added effort of the wait staff for the increase in tables. Again, 1 10-top is easier to service than 5 2-tops. The dining room sizes would have to increase to maintain seating levels. And I can't believe any cruise line would sacrifice cabins for dining area. Just my 2 cents.

I understand about having the two seatings to increase the quality of food in the MDR. But I have been on 12 Royal Caribbean cruises but all thru Atlantis Events which charters the entire ship. One of the unique things they implement is walk in for the MDR EVERYDAY and WITHOUT reservations. Atlantis has done this on the Oasis, Freedom and Voyager class ships and I have never encountered a hickup. It was great that when you were ready for dinner you just went. I would say 90% of the folks always asked to share a table so it flowed quite well.

Splendour used to offer 4 dining times in the Med - I think it was 6:00, 6:30, 8:30 and 9:00. One level of the MDR had the 6/8 and the other level had 6:30/9:00 (might even have been 9:30). I think that had to go by the wayside when they introduced MTD.

And that could explain why on the dining time selection in "my cruises" it lists 2 times for early and 2 times for late dining when there is actually now only one early and one late. I guess the IT dept has had other issues to fix and this has been low on their priority list.