Puerto Penasco cruise terminal NEW coming

swedish weave

Construction has started on a new cruise terminal at Puerto Penasco Mexico.(Rocky Point) Looks interesting and a previous article stated that Carnivaland Holland America were involved in the negotiations to make this happen

Proposed cruise routes show nine ports including Mazatlan and Cabo !!

http://www.kvoa.com/news/they-re-building-a-port-for-cruise-ships-in-rocky-point/

It looks like Puerto Penasco is hoping that it's closeness to the US will lure passengers into driving down to go on cruises originating from there. Seems like an interesting (albeit far fetched) proposition. I don't think it will be the success that they are banking on, at a time when violent crimes along the US/Mexico border are still making headlines.

Edited by Tapi

It looks like Puerto Penasco is hoping that it's closeness to the US will lure passengers into driving down to go on cruises originating from there. Seems like an interesting (albeit far fetched) proposition. I don't think it will be the success that they are banking on, at a time when violent crimes along the US/Mexico border are still making headlines.

I have a little different view of the future of this port. The article shows nine ports that are within the same range of the West coast cruises that travel to Mazatlan. That means fuel economy for the cruise lines. They would also escape the environmental burdens that are placed on them by California restrictions.

I have made the Sea of Cortez cruise on HAL twice and would do this one in a heartbeat.

Rocky Point is a small town and shouldn't be very attractive to the drug thugs that are causing problems in some parts of Mexico. At any rate, the two furthest ports are Mazatlan and Cabo, and the cruise ships have recently started calling at Mazatlan after a two year hiatus.

This does seem like a really odd departure point to me. I mean Phoenix & Tuscon and about 4 hours away, and San Diego is like 6 hours away. Are you really going to get enough people to drive from those places (or further) to go board a cruise ship here? What is the benefit to home porting here over Long Beach or even San Diego?

And after all the brave talk about Maimon on the N.Coast of the Dominican Republic

nothing ever happened!

And that was two years ago now, I reckon.

It's happening. It's called the Amber Cove cruise terminal.

Here's the website for the developer:

http://northamerica.atkinsglobal.com/projects/amber-cove-cruise-terminal

Here's an article about it:

http://www.caribjournal.com/2013/10/17/puerto-plata-tourism-is-re-emerging/

Edited by Branman

Rocky Point is a small town and shouldn't be very attractive to the drug thugs that are causing problems in some parts of Mexico.

Are you willing to drive to Rocky Point? I'm not. If Rocky Point adds an airport for providing non-stop air service from San Diego, then we can talk.

I have a little different view of the future of this port. The article shows nine ports that are within the same range of the West coast cruises that travel to Mazatlan. That means fuel economy for the cruise lines. They would also escape the environmental burdens that are placed on them by California restrictions.

I have made the Sea of Cortez cruise on HAL twice and would do this one in a heartbeat.

Rocky Point is a small town and shouldn't be very attractive to the drug thugs that are causing problems in some parts of Mexico. At any rate, the two furthest ports are Mazatlan and Cabo, and the cruise ships have recently started calling at Mazatlan after a two year hiatus.

The biggest roadblock may be they do not want extensive cruise traffic destroying the natural beauty and wildlife of the Sea of Cortez. This is precisely why you see very few cruises with La Paz and Loreto as a destination.

It's happening. It's called the Amber Cove cruise terminal.

Here's the website for the developer:

http://northamerica.atkinsglobal.com/projects/amber-cove-cruise-terminal

Here's an article about it:

http://www.caribjournal.com/2013/10/17/puerto-plata-tourism-is-re-emerging/

Nice to know! Encouraging.

This is the first positive feedback that anyone has provided

since I first learned about the project.

Why has it been kept secret, and where did you find out all this stuff?

You work for Dept. of Defense don't you? :D

Edited by Aplmac

Sorry. But there is drug violence in Puerto Penasco too. We go there every year for a week. But rethinking it now.

http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/national/4-dead-in-shootout-in-Rocky-Point-resort

They just had a major shootout between the government forces and the drug thugs in Puerto Peñasco. There have been other incidents there, also, both in town and on the road there. I personally wouldn't drive there and I live part-time in San Carlos.

San Carlos is a much safer (and more beautiful) place and I drive there regularly along a designated safe highway for tourists. The Mexican government is in the process of expanding the existing port of Guaymas, which already takes cruiseships and is about 5 miles from San Carlos. I really don't see the need for a cruiseport in Rocky Point, but the locals want the dollars.

Nice to know! Encouraging.

This is the first positive feedback that anyone has provided

since I first learned about the project.

Why has it been kept secret, and where did you find out all this stuff?

You work for Dept. of Defense don't you? :D

I dunno. I guess Carnival doesn't really make a big deal about new ports under construction. After all, it won't really be branded "Carnival." I'm guessing that we will see a bigger announcement (or quiet announcement) sometime this year when they reveal 2015 itineraries. This will probably make Eastern Caribbean itineraries much more diverse.

I vacationed at Mayan Palace in Puerto Penasco last fall and although I loved it, no way will I go back! Mid December there was a shoutout on the remote beach we stayed at with a drug cartel. 5 people killed! Crazy! Feel bad for innocent residents, but I don't feel safe driving to this place anymore and I won't risk my family's safety. Google it for the facts :(

It would be great since it's close to Tiguana, Tuscon and San Diego. The only problem that I think they would come across would be not having a large airport. Obviously, if this happens, then I know they will make an airport.

I can see HAL departing from here, maybe even RCI. They really like the international routes, and I think that's a reason why they both make good money. That attract people from all over, along with Americans who want to see something new. Princess and Celebrity may make a stop here, along with the luxury cruise ships. I really make work.

As for Carnival, I can see them moving the Inspiration or Imagination from along Beach to here. I mean, they are both running the same route, and unless they change the route of one, then I can see them doing 4 and 5 night cruises from here.

I hope they follow through with it and that we can see a new departure port on some cruise ships!

Puerto Penasco may be able to attract some land tourists from neighboring Arizona, but without a proper airport, I seriously doubt that it can support a cruise ship year round. The Puerto Penasco airport has very limited air service, mostly general aviation traffic and a handful of commercial flights.

A cruise ship from there can only draw so many passengers willing to drive the 4 hours from Phoenix or Tucson. I seriously doubt that anybody needing to fly, would choose to cruise from Puerto Penasco if they need to add a 4 hour drive on top of the flights.

Could it work someday? Maybe. But not with the current infrastructure.

Would be nice for an Arizona Homeport! Rocky Point is no worse than Cozumel or Ensenada. Good locale for Tucson and Phoenix Cruisers.

You can throw Ensanada or Tijuana in there.... But not Cozumel. Do some research. Almost zero crime in Cozumel. Very safe there.

But TJ, Ensanada, Puerto Penasco and some of the other border cities can be dangerous.

Even with some of the recent crime in Puerto Penasco I think it is still safer than some of the other border cities.

• 10 months later...

hi we were just down in Puerto Penasco for 5 days and locals said they are starting up construction on the pier again in January; something about there was some delay due to rocks being too soft for the footings. We drive down to Rocky Point from Phoenix several times a year to stay in the beautiful Sandy Beach area without a single incident ever. There is plenty of security at the resorts and police in town and patrolling on the road from the border - we never feel unsafe but we don't do anything unsafe. I heard something about an airport too but idk details. We look forward to a port there.