Alaska Cruise

new_to_cruising

We are a family of 3 - mom, dad and 11 year old daughter. We are thinking of taking an Alaskan cruise this July. I like the itinerary of the ms Volendam out of Vancouver. But wondering if Holland America is good for families. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

We are a family of 3 - mom, dad and 11 year old daughter. We are thinking of taking an Alaskan cruise this July. I like the itinerary of the ms Volendam out of Vancouver. But wondering if Holland America is good for families. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

HAL has an excellent club for young passengers, I understand - and having been on the Volendam to Alaska, and seeing the group having great fun I am sure your daughter will enjoy it. HAL does not have rock climbing walls, ice rink, miniature golf course etc. But I think it would be a great choice for your Alaska trip.

We did that cruise quite a few years ago. We met quite a few families on board. I have a nice chat with a gentleman who was there with his daughter and her family. Three generations sailing together - he said he loved it.

I remember seeing the kids from Club HAL having a race in the pool with boats they had made - they seemed to have a great time.

I'm sure your family will have a great time.

We have only cruised on HAL and our DS12 loves the kids program. The first time we went to Alaska he wouldn't leave Club HAL to come and see the glaciers. Even during our cruise this summer we were worried that he might be "too old" for Club HAL but he loved it just as much. The workers are usually certified teachers and there are lots of different activities for them.

Enjoy!

On our Alaskan cruise with HAL there were not a lot of children (65 total out of about 1300 if my memory serves) but those that were there seemed to be enjoying themselves very well. I will say that one thing we did not see on HAL that we did see on Princess last November is groups of kids running amok up and down halls or out on the decks. It may depend on what sort of fun your 11 year-old prefers or is content with.