Daily service charge not pre paid?

rocketlegs

Paid my cruise in full which was $400 for two people but a full total of $600. I thought the extra $200 was the daily service charge, but grom reading others posts I'm beginning to think it was not and I should expect the $120 service charge to be paid on board the ship? For a 5 night cruise it should be $120 for 2 of us.

Paid my cruise in full which was $400 for two people but a full total of $600. I thought the extra $200 was the daily service charge, but grom reading others posts I'm beginning to think it was not and I should expect the $120 service charge to be paid on board the ship? For a 5 night cruise it should be $120 for 2 of us.

I never understood why people prepay their service charge. Why give NCL money before you have to?

With that said, yes, something is wrong here. $120 is the service charge for two people on a 5-night cruise.

Usually you have to do your service charge prepayment as an add-on. If your "full payment" was $600 instead of $400, it was likely just a mistaken $200 extra charge rather than the service charge, and you should immediately raise an issue.

The $200 additional charge is certainly the taxes and port fees which is always added to every cruise, after passenger fare.

You have to specifically pre-pay DSC by going though NCL website or by calling NCL if you choose to do so. You can also do it at any point once on board.

I never understood why people prepay their service charge. Why give NCL money before you have to?

I can't speak for everyone but I like to pre-pay as much as I can before the cruise because it's one less thing to worry about and it keeps the final balance low. I lose nothing by pre-paying except maybe a little time to get the money back if for some reason I have to cancel the cruise.

I still like to tip for services as I see fit. Would you for example (at home ) make reservations at a restaurant pre pay a service charge ?

You still can tip as you see fit - we do too. Service charge is not a tip.

This is the first time I pre-paid the service charge but wanted as much paid off before the cruise so bill at end is as small as possible

I have never once removed a tip during a cruise. If I have had an issue with a crew member I have gone to guest services and they have dealt with it to my satisfaction.

I have always given extra to crew that have directly dealt with me...steward, wait staff

I don't tip my steward extra the first day for better service and have always received excellent service

I still like to tip for services as I see fit. Would you for example (at home ) make reservations at a restaurant pre pay a service charge ?

If you remove your DSC, any tips provided directly to staff are required to be placed into the same pool. While some question how this could be enforced, apparently it is. You may not be achieving the goals you are looking for by doing this.

You also asked "why". The reason is that with freestyle cruising it's impossible to adequately distribute tips to those that have supported you throughout the trip. Wait staff rotate between duties, and unless you're going to hand them $5 at each meal, it's unlikely you're distributing the $ fairly. Then again, if you tip this way it supposedly gets pooled anyway.

Edited by sdmike

Neither for butler, concierge , The Haven Steward, or The Villas

Right. It's not pooled for those employees that are not included in the DSC. Those include the concierge, butler, kids club staff, bar staff, etc. It does included all the wait staff and stewards, including staff that work the buffet and specialty restaurants and stewards that maintain suites

Edited by sdmike

This is the first time I pre-paid the service charge but wanted as much paid off before the cruise so bill at end is as small as possible

I have never once removed a tip during a cruise. If I have had an issue with a crew member I have gone to guest services and they have dealt with it to my satisfaction.

I have always given extra to crew that have directly dealt with me...steward, wait staff

I don't tip my steward extra the first day for better service and have always received excellent service

Best way to go!!!!!! They work HARD for 12$$$$$ a day... If I feel they did the extra mile...... ALL THE CRUISES I BEEN ON THEY HAVE:)...... More $$$$$$$ coming there way... 13 Cruises and never had a bad time.. ROOM SERvice(sorry wine spell on key board) It's about the cruise.. JUST ENJOY!!!! We are soooooooo lucky!!

I pre-paid our service charges too. One less thing to worry about on the last day. I'm also going to buy the beverage package so I don't have to get my bar tab slid under my door on the last day!!!:eek: HATE THAT!! :mad:

Sorry be be going off the topic of the OP but: We pre-pay at booking because we see it as part of the bill. If it was an horrific cruise then we would complain to the relevant people about the specific areas of concern, not punish everyone for one individual/managements error.

OP - they would have sent you a breakdown, I think ours came the day after booking (with NCL UK), but they did specifically ask wether we wanted to pre-pay or not. The best thing to do is give them a call.

I can't speak for everyone but I like to pre-pay as much as I can before the cruise because it's one less thing to worry about and it keeps the final balance low. I lose nothing by pre-paying except maybe a little time to get the money back if for some reason I have to cancel the cruise.

Same here, you have to pay it anyhow, so why not pay for as much as possible and get it out of the way.

Our service charges were $80 a person and how much interest is that going to earn in a regular savings account in the 10 weeks before the payment is due and the ship sails? a penny or two?

You do not have to pay for services charges. It is not a mandate.

I am happy to pay the service charge and tip extra for the hard working crew that take care of me so well. The crews earn every last $

This matter has been discussed here over and over again so there is no point starting the debate again. For those (lurkers etc) interested about the facts, NCL clearly states on their website:

Why is there a service charge?

The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports.

------

If there is a service issue can the service charges be adjusted on board?

Guest satisfaction is the highest priority at Norwegian Cruise Line. We have structured a guest satisfaction program designed to handle any concerns about service or on-board product quickly and efficiently. However, in the event a service issue should arise during your cruise please let our on-board guest services desk staff know right away, so that we can address these in a timely manner. It is our goal to reach a satisfactory solution to any issue when it happens and make sure our guests can focus on enjoying their cruise. Should your concerns not be met with satisfaction you can adjust the charges.

You do not have to pay for services charges. It is not a mandate.

The crew works hard for their money and they are sacrificing time from their loved ones to make a better life. Maybe you don't "have to pay" the service charge, but I hope you're really not that mean! :rolleyes: Maybe one of the crew you encountered in that "pool" didn't work their a*s off, but most do!

I am happy to pay the service charge and tip extra for the hard working crew that take care of me so well. The crews earn every last $

Yes! ;)