Help! Celebrity Infinity in June with 2 kids to the British Isles

reedstephstuff

So, my parents have VERY graciously invited myself, DH, DS'S (7 & 10), grandma & great-Aunt to join them on a trip of a lifetime to the British Isles, on Celebrity Infinity.

I've searched hi & lo and have found out very little on the ship itself, specifically the British Isles itinerary, the 2B cabins onboard (their nightly sleeping arrangements for 4), etc.

Have we made a mistake!? I read a review stating that last summer the kids' club was closed due to the lack of children on the cruise.

I also read the 2B cabins are extremely small and although we are small (myself and DS's) DH is NOT.

We ARE in port all but 1 sea day on the 10 day itinerary and realize we won't spend MUCH time in the cabin, I am fearful that the time spent may be too cramped and stressful to enjoy the time off the ship.

Lastly, we are not formal people... I read that there isn't a buffet for dinner, but a casual restaurant that requires reservations each night, and by casual I mean (to my Florida standards) semi-formal.

I hate to be Debbie Downer, but also want to be realistic...

ANY and ALL advise/ comments/ suggestions and the like are welcome!

THANKS!!!!

So, my parents have VERY graciously invited myself, DH, DS'S (7 & 10), grandma & great-Aunt to join them on a trip of a lifetime to the British Isles, on Celebrity Infinity.

I've searched hi & lo and have found out very little on the ship itself, specifically the British Isles itinerary, the 2B cabins onboard (their nightly sleeping arrangements for 4), etc.

Have we made a mistake!? I read a review stating that last summer the kids' club was closed due to the lack of children on the cruise.

I also read the 2B cabins are extremely small and although we are small (myself and DS's) DH is NOT.

We ARE in port all but 1 sea day on the 10 day itinerary and realize we won't spend MUCH time in the cabin, I am fearful that the time spent may be too cramped and stressful to enjoy the time off the ship.

Lastly, we are not formal people... I read that there isn't a buffet for dinner, but a casual restaurant that requires reservations each night, and by casual I mean (to my Florida standards) semi-formal.

I hate to be Debbie Downer, but also want to be realistic...

ANY and ALL advise/ comments/ suggestions and the like are welcome!

THANKS!!!!

I would post to Celebrity board regarding questions about the ship, rooms, and dining. I have read several threads about the Celebrity kids club, and they were all very positive. I would think that in June, you will find plenty of kids on board, so the kids club should be open (have you checked that there is one on board?). Also, if ship is home ported in Europe, look at CC UK edition for reviews. And I looked at a British Isles tour with RCI and am very jealous - it is an amazing, amazing itinerary! You should have a blast.

There is always a buffet and room service and you can also order from the dining room menu to your room during dinner hours. You will be too busy on port days to do much more than eat and sleep and won't be in the room that much. Enjoy this amazing trip it will be awesome even if kids club is lacking (it will be slow on that cruise as most kids don't get to go to Europe on celebrity - lucky yours) take cards or small games for them and there are usually kids movies on the tv.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Here is link. Only the articles and reviews are different, I think. I think their forums are linked to US.

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk

Looks like the reviews are the same. I have looked around other sites and forums, specifically in the UK due to the amount of time the Infinity spends there. Spends very little time over here... Thanks for your positivity.

I posted in Family hoping to get a response from anyone with small children who have actually sailed this cruise, as I have been unsuccessful at finding a positive review that was written by anyone under 50, not to mention with kids.

There is always a buffet and room service and you can also order from the dining room menu to your room during dinner hours. You will be too busy on port days to do much more than eat and sleep and won't be in the room that much. Enjoy this amazing trip it will be awesome even if kids club is lacking (it will be slow on that cruise as most kids don't get to go to Europe on celebrity - lucky yours) take cards or small games for them and there are usually kids movies on the tv.

This helps! I wasn't aware you could order from the Dining Room menu to the room... Thanks.

Only fear is how small the room will be and will we even be capable of eating in it!

Looks like the reviews are the same. I have looked around other sites and forums, specifically in the UK due to the amount of time the Infinity spends there. Spends very little time over here... Thanks for your positivity.

I posted in Family hoping to get a response from anyone with small children who have actually sailed this cruise, as I have been unsuccessful at finding a positive review that was written by anyone under 50, not to mention with kids.

Infinity is sister ship to Summit, so I would assume the both have similar facilities for kids club. So reviews of its programs and facilities would help. Unfortunately, it is a ten day cruise in Europe on a more expensive line, all of which limits families with small children. We are not planning to take our son over to London until he is at least 6 or 7.

I wonder at what threshold they cancel kids club. I would call Celebrity and ask.

Yes on celebrity you can it's just not advertised anywhere it's an amazing perk after a long day of touring. We have traveled with our kids when they were the ages of yours and older. It was crowded but we just piled on the bed ordered room service and everyone shared everything, great memories. Now when our daughter became a teenager it was much harder all the clothes and bathroom hogging and we changed to us in a balcony and putting them across the hall in an inside room or got the cheapest connecting rooms. If you don't want to be crowded to eat just run to the buffet and everyone can eat and leave the mess behind

It's true...eating in standard cabins isn't that much fun! For a snack...sure. A full meal....not the best experience.

You will NOT be turned away in slacks/capris and nice top. Hubby should have long pants and collared shirt....that will be more than adequate for the casual dining places! Daytime on the ship is ultra-casual!!!

Cruises nowadays are nowhere near as stodgy as they used to be! You'll be fine!

I always call the cruise lines and ask if the kids club will be open for the sailing I'm on. They have the numbers and can tell you. For our family, it's a make or break if it's not open.

Who do you call and when? I tried to do this on our last cruise, and the RCI rep told me that they did not have access to total number of children on board. I emailed the concierge, and he sent me the data but only a week or so before our cruise (when the ship got the final tallies from corporate). I would love to find this data out before our next cruise, and at least have estimates before final payment.

Who do you call and when? I tried to do this on our last cruise, and the RCI rep told me that they did not have access to total number of children on board. I emailed the concierge, and he sent me the data but only a week or so before our cruise (when the ship got the final tallies from corporate). I would love to find this data out before our next cruise, and at least have estimates before final payment.

I've done this three times with Carnival right before we booked and now twice with Princess. I call the customer service line for the cruise line. We book at least 5 months out and each time, they have had enough kids already booked to tell me yes the kids camp will be opened. In October, we booked the Regal for the 12 days sailing out of Venice in June 2014 and they had already had enough to open the kids camp. I believe they need a total of 20 kids in the a certain age groups to open the camp. Like I said if the camp isn't open, we don't sail, I have a 4, 5, & 6 year old.

In October, we booked the Regal for the 12 days sailing out of Venice in June 2014 and they had already had enough to open the kids camp. I believe they need a total of 20 kids in the a certain age groups to open the camp. Like I said if the camp isn't open, we don't sail, I have a 4, 5, & 6 year old.

Has anyone experienced a kids club being closed on a cruise? What do they do with the kids staff living on board on contract? We were on a 15 day/4 port Princess cruise with less than 20 club-aged kids on board and it still ran - and it was one of my girls' favorite kids club experiences.

Best,

Mia

The Infinity is one of my favorite ships and I've been on LOTS of ships. Relax the cruise will be incredible. I have done the British Isles cruise (on Princess) but the itinerary on Infinity is similar. Guernsey is a lovely little island. In Le Havre- you have to do Paris. It's a must. Ireland is a charming country. Liverpool is an interesting city with a nice HOHO bus tour.

As for the ship- the Fun Factory definitely will be open. Don't listen to anyone. Unless there are ZERO kids onboard, the Fun Factory will be open. People that say this don't know what they are talking about. In June there definitely will be other kids onboard anyway. The program is the best youth program at sea IMO. The counselors are stellar and the activities are fun.

The Infinity has "Bistro on Five"- where we ate breakfast on most days. There is a $5 per person surcharge but it is so worth it for the made to order crepes and sandwiches. Your kids will love it . It's open from breakfast- late night. Go!

Qsine is a really fun, whimsical restaurant and they offer discounts once in a while but it is a $ 40 surcharge. We absolutely loved it- especially my son (he was 11). Try it, you'll like it.

Have a wonderful time. You are going to have a great time.

Has anyone experienced a kids club being closed on a cruise? What do they do with the kids staff living on board on contract? We were on a 15 day/4 port Princess cruise with less than 20 club-aged kids on board and it still ran - and it was one of my girls' favorite kids club experiences.

Best' date='

Mia[/quote']

I don't know who keeps spreading these rumors- the youth program is always open unless there are ZERO children onboard. I have been told this on all the mainstream lines. My son and I did a California Coastal Cruise in May and there were never any kids in the youth program but the teen and youth centers were open anyway.

I cant express enough how great all of your comments and suggestions have made me feel about our upcoming journey!

I plan to contact out TA and Celebrity this morning to pose the necessary questions that need answered, but would not have been able to even come up with said questions had it not been for you people! I cant thank you enough!

That being said... I absolutely love this message board!

Thank you all so very much!

I don't know who keeps spreading these rumors- the youth program is always open unless there are ZERO children onboard. I have been told this on all the mainstream lines. My son and I did a California Coastal Cruise in May and there were never any kids in the youth program but the teen and youth centers were open anyway.

http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/activities/youth_teen/

Guess you don't consider Princess a mainstream cruise line! I have been on Hal and Carinval and have been told the same thing. So please don't imply I'm spreading rumors.

The Princess link is referring to "small ships" where it says there are no dedicated youth programs. They are the Ocean and Pacific Princesses, which are smaller vessels. It says that unless there are 20 or more kids on THOSE vessels then there won't be any scheduled activities.

The Sapphire (May,2005), Grand (2008, 2013), Crown (1995), Caribbean Princess (2011) all were open and I was told onboard- not through the website or even customer service that the youth program is always open unless there are ZERO children onboard.

There are cruises on Holland America and on various lines that are world cruises and will state up front that the youth program is going to be closed.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

Celebrity does not have a rule like 20 or more kids to open. We went and checked it out when we boarded Reflection last year, they were expecting 5 children on board and still had 3 kids club staff on board.

They did have plans for how they were using their time if no kids showed up, since they were expecting almost 200 the next week (winter break time).

http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/activities/youth_teen/

Guess you don't consider Princess a mainstream cruise line! I have been on Hal and Carinval and have been told the same thing. So please don't imply I'm spreading rumors.

You are wrong. The paragraph you reference is regarding two small ships that do not have dedicated facilities for kids. As stated before, I was on a Princess cruise with fewer than 20 club-aged kids and the club had regular hours. If a ship has a kids club, there is kids club staff living on board. Are you thinking the cruise line gives them the entire time off if there are just 19 kids on board?

Here is the paragraph you reference.

Small Ship Sailing

Children are welcome on all Princess cruise ships, but facilities vary. Ocean Princess and Pacific Princess do not have dedicated Youth Centers or Teen Lounges. Programs are available on these vessels only when 20 or more children ages 3 to 17 are sailing.

Group kidsitting is not available on Ocean Princess and Pacific Princess.

Edited by Kerry's Girls

You are wrong. The paragraph you reference is regarding two small ships that do not have dedicated facilities for kids. As stated before' date=' I was on a Princess cruise with fewer than 20 club-aged kids and the club had regular hours. If a ship has a kids club, there is kids club staff living on board. Are you thinking the cruise line gives them the entire time off if there are just 19 kids on board?

Here is the paragraph you reference.

[b']Small Ship Sailing[/b]

Children are welcome on all Princess cruise ships, but facilities vary. Ocean Princess and Pacific Princess do not have dedicated Youth Centers or Teen Lounges. Programs are available on these vessels only when 20 or more children ages 3 to 17 are sailing.

Group kidsitting is not available on Ocean Princess and Pacific Princess.

Okay so I guess those two are now not mainstream cruises. Nor in Oceaia since they don't have a kids club.

As I said some ships only open there clubs if the minimum number of children aren on board. All I stated was, call to double check whatever your sailing may be to insure the kids club is running to ease your mind.

Thanks for chastising me....

It is a good idea to call but I have to tell you from my experience- the salespeople aren't always knowledgeable on this matter. My experience with Celebrity prior to my transatlantic cruise in 2005 was not very helpful. I wanted to find out if there would be any other children on our May 2005 transatlantic. The particular customer service rep. said she could not give me this information (was forbidden) and that she didn't think it was a good idea for me to book a transatlantic but suggested I look for reviews from the previous year to see if there were kids.

When I checked-in to the ship in Ft. Lauderdale, I was told at check-in that my son was the only child onboard. Naturally my heart sank but I thought I would make the best of it. Well- as it turned out there were over a dozen kids my son's age and it was a FANTASTIC cruise and he spent the majority of the cruise in the Fun Factory with kids from the Czech Republic, England and Latin America (among others). He actually started using terms like "Pardon?" instead of "What?" It was a great experience.

What I am getting at- is that all of the mainstream kids clubs will be open because they have to keep a skeleton crew to man the youth program. For instance there may be no children one week but then children the next and so forth- so they aren't going to disembark the youth staff. They are under monthly contracts. On Holland America for example, (except ships that specifically indicate the lack of a youth program) they have three youth staff at all times. Holiday and Summer cruises- they recruit teachers and they board for the Christmas cruises and summer cruises and then leave. In this way they can get the extra help needed during the cruises where the number of children drastically increases.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

I totally agree with everything Rebeccalouiseagain has said. Celebrity's kids program is very well run and I would expect a good turnout of kids on a British Isles cruise. I've also never known the Celebrity kids club to not operate during a cruise if any kids are onboard.

Like Rebeccalouiseagain, we took our kids to the British Isles on Princess (in July 2009). We had a great time. We saw tons of castles, and what kid doesn't like castles?

We have sailed on quite a few Celebrity ships with our 3 kids ( including the Infinity) and have had an amazing time on all of our cruises. The Fun Factory is wonderful and there have always been other kids on boards , even when we sailed on the Summit in the Med in May during school.

We just did a British Isle / Fjord cruise in July on the HAL Eurodam and the kids loved it ! Ireland and Scotland are incredible and very kid friendly

Here is our review:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1891991

Feel free to ask any questions.