FTTF, anyone else have mixed feelings?

carrieluvsgreg

Umm...that's not what I said. :rolleyes:

What I said was that FTTF guests pushed past Platinum and Diamond guests (to board sooner) "celebrating" that they were FTTF and how great it was....

My only point in posting at all was to clarify that often the FTTF board with or before the Platinum and Diamond guests - that's all.

We had FTTF once and it was NOT like this at all. Plat and diamond were sent first, then FTTF. No one pushed their way to the front. Just more sour grapes....

We had FTTF once and it was NOT like this at all. Plat and diamond were sent first, then FTTF. No one pushed their way to the front. Just more sour grapes....

Not at all....YOU are mistaken! :eek:

I have NEVER said I had any problem with FTTF - just relating my experience.

Or could the choice for carnival have been cut loyalty programs completely or find a way to fund them?

We do not know the business drivers behind it, but part of it could have been that there were so many platinums from 3-4-5 day sailings that they were losing money. The way to fix that would be two parts, revamp to be nights at sea, and add a program that pays for those perks completely.

If you had to choose between boarding with VIPs and FTTF, or no platinum perks at all, which would you prefer?

Or could the choice for carnival have been cut loyalty programs completely or find a way to fund them?

We do not know the business drivers behind it, but part of it could have been that there were so many platinums from 3-4-5 day sailings that they were losing money. The way to fix that would be two parts, revamp to be nights at sea, and add a program that pays for those perks completely.

If you had to choose between boarding with VIPs and FTTF, or no platinum perks at all, which would you prefer?

While I appreciate your thoughts, I have a difficult time understanding this when they gave everyone a year to make their 10 cruises to reach the Platinum level and thus increase their financial burden. Add to that there were probably 50 other ways they could offset these costs that did not involve insulting their best customers.

Why should anyone be better than any one else. Some people save for years for a cruise and others cruise several times a year. I still think those with disabilities should get priority and all others should be first come first served. Everyone that has the means to reach platinum status don't really need free perks anyway. Why not sell FTTF and make it a donation to a charity. Okay, let the comments begin.

While I appreciate your thoughts, I have a difficult time understanding this when they gave everyone a year to make their 10 cruises to reach the Platinum level and thus increase their financial burden. Add to that there were probably 50 other ways they could offset these costs that did not involve insulting their best customers.

The same reason they did not just cancel the benefits to begin with.

Grace periods for any programmatic change at any company is common practice to keep major PR issues from killing them. Carnival is no different. Look how long they allowed people to use drink coupons after they stopped selling them.

The financial losses probably would not have broken the company but they certainly would not have helped. Any program that is losing money either needs reformation (which FTTF+Sea days based loyalty did) or cancellation.

It makes sense to me.

We are platinum. We also just booked the owner's suite on the Inspiration which supposedly gives us VIP status. I will not be happy for the price we paid if someone who is FTTF is given priority ahead of us!!! Just saying!!!

I would make sure then if I were you I'd stand by the loading door long before they make the announcements. Don't sit because usually there are some people who don't have a place to sit so they stand and they might be FTTF and be standing by the loading (escalator in Miami) and when they announce priority boarding in Miami, which includes FTTF then that person will get on before you no matter what you paid for the owners suite. Perhaps you should tell them when you check in that if someone with FTTF board before you, you are going to be mad. That might make them make SURE that platinum and big spenders get on first. Just sayin

With FTTF being sold out every time, wouldn't it be smart of Carnival to continue to raise the price on it. Move the price point to $100, if all available sell, move it to $125, If it doesn't sell, drop it to $75. They could make additional revenue easily.

i would make sure then if i were you i'd stand by the loading door long before they make the announcements. Don't sit because usually there are some people who don't have a place to sit so they stand and they might be fttf and be standing by the loading (escalator in miami) and when they announce priority boarding in miami, which includes fttf then that person will get on before you no matter what you paid for the owners suite. Perhaps you should tell them when you check in that if someone with fttf board before you, you are going to be mad. That might make them make sure that platinum and big spenders get on first. Just sayin

lol :)

Every time I read posts from some that say I spent so much money and time to reach platinum it justs cracks me up. Really?

I spent so much money and time cruising because I love to have a vacation and make

memories not to reach a certain level.

I am platinum with Princess but I found Carnival fits better this time around so I go with

my plans and not loyalty level perks.

Life is to short , don't sweat the small stuff. If you are lucky to vacation enjoy it. Nothing is being taken away with FTTF , you are actually getting to your cabin quicker.

It is kinda' dumb on CCL's part!.. Just a way to make more $$$.. Not thinking about their Platinum guests..

Uhhh... how is it DUMB to want to make more $$$??? Isn't that the very basic idea of running a business? And I believe CCL is very good at it, because FTTF is sold out all the time.

People, just relax, you're supposed to be on vacation. So some people board a couple of minutes before you do. Is that the end of the world? Sheesh.

First, my intention is not to "rile" anyone up... We recently reached Platinum status, not that we didn't thoroughly enjoy every step of the way, but it was a process! I feel a bit cheated that others can "buy" their way on the ship for the same priority perks that we've invested 10 years into receiving. On our last trip, we were nearly trampled by FTTF participants. I totally understand why people would pay for the perks, just a bit irritated that the cruise line offers these perks for a price... :(

You must be new to this board. This topic has been discussed over and over and it always goes the same way. Platinum/Diamonds almost always dis FTTF, and non-Platinum/Diamonds almost always love FTTF. Carnival made a lot of bad decisions under the last leader, and FTTF is one of them. The message this sends is loud and clear IMO: Carnival favors shareholders over loyal passengers. Period. And the only option is to either learn to live with this or find another cruise line to pledge your loyalty to. Sad but it is reality. Think about that the next time you are nearly trampled by FTTF passengers during embarkation or debarkation or standing in the long FTTF/Platinum/Diamond line at Guest Services on board.

Edited by winddawn

We are from Wisconsin so have to fly to any port to sail. We are going on our 6th cruise in March and will have 43 sea days. I know there are many platinum who have fewer sea days than we do.

We have FTTF for the first time for our upcoming cruise and in no way plan to flaunt or take away any benefit due a platinum/diamond cruiser.

There are a lot of threads out there with this discussion already if you want to search and usually the same people saying the same exact things. It seems to me after reading all of these threads is that it is not the FTTF program itself that is the problem but that some of the ports are not following the guidelines for FTTF when boarding. Some of the ports seem to board Platinum, Diamond and FTTF all as one bunch when others do a very good job of getting them onboard in the correct order.

Because of the implementation of the FTTF program you now get your cabin ready when you board and priority luggage delivery that you would not have had before and many are happy with those added features. It seems to me that too many get their knickers in a knot worrying about minor things when they should be so excited to board that little things like that should not be such a big deal.

Ok I tried to stay out of this but here I go. Platinum cruisers, you earned your perks. But, wouldn't you have cruised anyway? Did you go for Platinum just to get on the ship first? Or was it the free laundry service that spurred you forward? I cruise because I love it as I'm sure you do. I pay to get on the ship sooner, still behind you. That is basically all I get. There is no tendering in our upcoming cruise, so that isn't even an issue.

Everyone enjoy their cruise, u know I will.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

First, my intention is not to "rile" anyone up... We recently reached Platinum status, not that we didn't thoroughly enjoy every step of the way, but it was a process! I feel a bit cheated that others can "buy" their way on the ship for the same priority perks that we've invested 10 years into receiving. On our last trip, we were nearly trampled by FTTF participants. I totally understand why people would pay for the perks, just a bit irritated that the cruise line offers these perks for a price... :(

Not that I am downplaying your status ...

" ... invested 10 years ...", well, like any other investment, you win some, you lose some. Fact of life!

You have choices, Crystal, Regent, RCI, NCL, just to name a few.

You must be new to this board. This topic has been discussed over and over and it always goes the same way. Platinum/Diamonds almost always dis FTTF, and non-Platinum/Diamonds almost always love FTTF. Carnival made a lot of bad decisions under the last leader, and FTTF is one of them. The message this sends is loud and clear IMO: Carnival favors shareholders over loyal passengers. Period. And the only option is to either learn to live with this or find another cruise line to pledge your loyalty to. Sad but it is reality. Think about that the next time you are nearly trampled by FTTF passengers during embarkation or debarkation or standing in the long FTTF/Platinum/Diamond line at Guest Services on board.

The decision, IMHO, to roll out FTTF, probably wasn't something someone just dreamed up in 1/2 hour on a piece of toilet paper. They pretty well know how many loyal passengers they WILL lose, they have all that information in their computers.

" ... IMO: Carnival favors shareholders over loyal passengers ...", I hope so.

I bought 100 shares of CCL Corp mid 2013, got in at $33.65. It closed at $39.49 yesterday. So far so good.

Welcome to capitalism!

You really should be more upset that the platinum perks kinda stink compared to other lines. Everyone is selling convenience these days...can't fault Carnival for doing the same! You still have other perks that FTTF doesn't include, so I don't get the frustration.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We have done FTTF once, not worth it IMO just to cut lines.

Unless you intend on going to guest service 20 times a day with questions

who needs it?

Do I need to be on the ship first? NO

Do I need to be off the ship first? NO

Do I need luggage right away? NO

What the heck is the big rush?

Not a frequent flyer by any stretch ... but I did manage to accumulate some free airline miles over time.

A couple of years ago, one specific airline decided the miles I accumulated MUST be used within a certain period of time.

Would I fly that same airline again, yes, life goes on!

Edited by Retiringworkingstiff

Let's see, you get on before the FTTF group so unless you walk really slow and the FTTF people sprinted I don't see how you could get trampled :) Heck, before FTTF you would have been trampled by that pesky first boarding group that went on after you .

Those that purchase it don't get a t-shirt that says haha I paid for FTTF and you didn't. At least I didn't see where they sold it, so there might be one.

I am really upset now that I would have to pay for FTTF to get the perks but I don't get laundry or BOGO slots....not fair

I guess you are also upset that those silly people who get suites get to board early too...dang them. Wait! They board the suites after you go....they must have trampled you on the way on the ship, sorry about that it might have been me.

I agree we had FTTF on our Christmas Breeze group and the boarded Platinum & Diamond, then groups ( there were about 50) then FTTF. So not sure how they got trampled?

I agree we had FTTF on our Christmas Breeze group and the boarded Platinum & Diamond, then groups ( there were about 50) then FTTF. So not sure how they got trampled?

I agree...The embark is done in an orderly fashion.

Never seen anyone getting trampled or pushed even.

Where is the frustration for suite guests? They get similar perks, but certainly didn't "earn" it other than paying a higher price. Gasp!....just like the FTTF guests. :rolleyes:

FTR, I had a suite on my very first cruise and had FTTF on last month's cruise. Never trampled a single person.

Edited by Stacy_C

Here we go again! The majority of Platinum / Diamond cruisers that I know, have no problem with those that purchase FTTF. We gained immediate cabin access and luggage delivery when the program was implemented, which we did not have before. Besides, the percentage of FTTF passengers is so small, no matter which class of ship, that it hardly really matters. Say they sell 45 cabins, (most times it is less), and there are 4 passengers per cabin, (most times it is less), that means there would be 180 FTTF passengers, which is under 9% of capacity on a Fantasy Class ship. Much less on the bigger classes.

And for those Platinum cruisers that "worked" so hard, and "invested" so much to earn their status..... really??? You paid for the privilege to be able to cruise and have a fun vacation, nothing else. If you cruised just for the perks, I'll be the first to tell you that you're cruising on the wrong line. Enjoy what little they give you and move on. Many of us long time Carnival cruisers, 15 years or more, had the requirements met for Platinum,(cruises or days), before there ever was a loyalty program!! Personally, I didn't see my first Platinum benefits until my 17th Carnival cruise. Does this mean Carnival owes me 7 cruises of benefits retroactively?? NO!!

If you enjoy cruising with Carnival, book for the low prices and fun, not for the "perks". You will get there someday, but it really isn't a big deal, and as you work your way up, purchase FTTF if that is what you want to do, and enjoy!!