The Happy Wanderer (reprise)

RuthC

Relative to my trip, which ended July 9:

Captain (he came onboard in Quebec)

Hotel Manager (he came onboard when Dirk left last week)

Food & Beverage Manager (same person)

Bar Manager (I had Twinkle Abadam -- Abadam is a good name for a HAL ship)

Chief Officer (same person)

Executive Chef (same person)

Maitre D' (same person, identified only as "Tri")

Chief Housekeeper (same person)

Guest Relations Manager (same person)

Cruise Director (new)

Sr. Asst. Cruise Dir. --Craig DiRocco (was the CD on my "down" trip)

Cruise Consultant (did not have one)

Wonderful posts, Ruth, Liz, Jennie...... I'm so enjoying all of them.

Ruth....Red Sox are back in first place. One half game ahead of the "Evil Empire :).

So happy you are happily enjoying yourselves.

Thanks for sharing with us.

Oo!-Oo! I think I've figured out why there was so much fog on last year's cruise! I went to the aft Lido Deck this morning to eat breakfast outside. It was cold and foggy---so different from the last few days, and a frightening flashback. Anyway, I looked down to see heavy steam coming off the outside pool. That's gotta be it! If the outside pool weren't heated there wouldn't be any fog on this trip.

Well, it made sense before coffee.

I think you should ponder this over CHOCOLATE with a side of coffee:)

Great to hear that the cruise is off to a lovely start!!:D

Continued calm seas, BLUE skies and chocolates on your pillow every night!:cool:

Well Ruth, glad to hear that you are enjoying Myra again. say hello from me and my Mother. She may remember my Mother from having lived in the Phillipines. I remember Rick from out first 33 day cruise together. I'm sure you are enjoying two relaxing days at sea before getting to Nuuk. I can't believe that you still haven't reported about the Piano Bar(your big after dinner hangout). I'm suspecting that it's not too good, even as last year and definately not as good as Peery Grant. Do tell us though!!!!!! I'm enjoying your posts and anxiously awaiting the next one. Glad you met Shy. I think he is the Harry of the Maasdam.,Take care and don't overdose on too much chocolate. Adele

Okay, I know you're going to do it "Your Way". After "A Foggy Day on the Lido Deck" on your "Sea Cruise", Please make "my brown eyes blue" and tell us about "The Piano Man". Please don't make us wait "Day in, Day out", or burn "16 Candles". Don't forget, "I'm livin on Tulsa Time", "Little Darlin".

GN

Hi, Ruth: I'm so glad to hear that you're off to a great start and that the ship is, well, ship-shape!

Thanks for posting the crew and staff line-up. Are there any "enrichment" lecturers onboard?

Counting days until we see you on Aug 2....

Dotti and Fred

I know that Ruth will post later today but thought I would bring you up-to-date on a few things. First, we are cruising off the coast of Labrador and seas are "very rough" at 12-18' and Gale Force winds (Force-8). Now everyone has to get used to the fact we are sailing because we got very spoiled sailing to Newfoundland at Force-1 winds!!

Tonight is a VIP Party in the Crow's Nest. Hope the seas calm down by then as that sure isn't the best place to be standing.

Joe, I did give Shy your message and he remembered you and Mike(?).

So long for now. Just hoping those engines keep working!!

Liz

Here's your baseball update, Ruth (and anyone else who is interested. :)

Red Sox 9

Devil Rays 4 YES!!!

Red Sox 1/2 game ahead of Evil Empire (but they have played one more game than the Yankees )

I, also, am a BIG fan of Shy...would you please tell him a BIG "HI" from Pat/rocks. I felt so lucky to have him as my waiter in May. He is the BEST & SO sweet!

THANKS to both you & Ruth for sharing your cruise with all of us! Really is great to follow along with you on such a long cruise. I would love to sail for 35 days in a row!

Hope the seas calm down & that you guys continue to have a wonderful vacation!

rocks

For five days the seas were calm, but slowly, imperceptibly. they have grown stronger. At last evening's show I noticed a gentle rocking motion. As the night---and now today---have gone on the rocking has gotten decidedly more pronounced, until it is now at 18'-27'. The hot tubs are empty; the pool is covered and splashing all over the Lido decking.

At last I feel I am on the sea.

Last evening's performance needs a mention. We were entertained by Your Three Tenors. The (late) show was packed with an enthusiastic crowd who gave a (well-deserved) standing ovation. Now understand---usually there is a sparse crowd at the late show.

The tenors will be giving a Q + A in a few minutes so I'll leave now to be sure to get a seat.

granny---that post with all the song titles has to be one of the most clever responses I could read! I love it.

I will let you all know about the Piano Bar as soon as I make up my mind. Still not sure how it's gonna work out for the whole trip. (Hope still springing eternal, and all that.;) )

Ruth, Liz, and Jennie

Thank you so much for your reports , enjoying them very much.

Take care and have a great time.

Jennie,

Just wondering how did you and DH survive that LOOOOOOOOOOONG flight? :) So glad you enjoyed Boston and NYC.

Ruth, so you are getting more and more motion the closer you get to Nuuk. I'm hoping that you will not run into the storm that we did two years ago coming out of Nuuk. Eighteen foot waves are MUCH better than 45 foot like we had. Guess you will be rocking and rolling tonight till you get to Nuuk. Can't wait till you make up your mind about the Piano Man. Never known you to take so long to decide about a piano bar. Enjoy your day in Nuuk tomorrow. I hope it is not raining(again) and that you will go ashore for the nickel tour. Won't take long to see Nuuk, even though it is the capital of Greenland, there is not much to see. By the way, how far ahead are you in time from me here in Pa? Eagerly awaiting the next installment. Adele

I'm sure that the satellite is down. Having been in this area before, I know that is what happened. Being around Greenland could be bad. I noticed that they are in Prince Christian Sound tomorrow.She will be in beautiful fijords but will most likely have no satellite. possibly not till Monday when they get to Reykjavik.

If you remember, correct me if I am wrong. Didn't we lose the satellite from east of Greenland on to the Arctic ocean last summer, and then about every other day until we reached germany?

This time they can't say that the twin funnels (Maasdam only has one) is interfering with the reception.

They guy with the parts will get on in Reyjavik again..... and.....

Oh and Adele, will you email me At grannynurse@cox.net, please ?

GN

I also haven't heard from my friends who are a paxs on board since either Tues. or Wed. Usually they write every day or every day or every other day. Agree that the Satellite could be down.

Archived