Embarkation in Houston

Sox Fan Cruiser

I have never sailed out of Houston (not Gavelston) but will be doing so next weekend. What is it like?

I know about the fog problems and how that may cause delays so we will be monitoring that.

But if that isn't an issue, is it similar to FLL? Is there a preferred check in line? Does getting there at 11:00 allow you to get in and sit down somewhere?

I know we have "progressive boarding" but it says preferred boarding can board anytime. Do the other groups really show up at the staggered time or does everyone still come at once?

Thanks.

But if that isn't an issue, is it similar to FLL? Is there a preferred check in line? Does getting there at 11:00 allow you to get in and sit down somewhere?

Yes. The entry doors are in the middle of the terminal, to the right of those will be disembarking passengers. Three doors, Preferred is on the left, Special Assistance on the right.

You go in and you may wait until 11 for the security scanner lines to start up. But there's even some (about 10?) chairs there for the earliest like BVEs.

Once thru TSA you can go straight to a check-in counter and there is a LOT of seating after that until boarding. If eligible for the Lounge, there's cushier chairs and tea/coffee/pastries. Boarding starts at noon on a normal day. BVE are boarded first, then suite-elite are called from the lounge, and then they go to a color system of first-come-first-boarded.

Do the other groups really show up at the staggered time or does everyone still come at once?

Everyone comes all at once or when they darn well feel like it. It's Texas. :D

~sent using Cruise Critic app~

Edited by sminfiddle

I, too, live in Alief's Park Glen West, (40 years).

What route did you take to Bayport Terminal?

Mapquesting, it appears the easiest non GPS route is south on I-45 to exit 26 for Bay Area Blvd then @7.5 miles to Port Road.

Edited by Stevesan

Here's a couple of pics....

11397108584_b5d043bb1b_b.jpg

11397103644_a1378833bc_b.jpg

The Preferred line was quite a bit shorter...:) The other line snaked to the end of the building and then wrapped around. If you look closely at the second picture, just right of center, you'll see folks with a green bag and a red bag. That's the end of the line!

I arrived about 1:15pm on a Princess transfer from Hobby. It took me about 20-30 minutes to get inside. I shudder to think how long it took those folks at the end of the other line.

Yes, very helpful ... though the polar-ready outer wear gives me pause. :eek: LOL!

This was on December 7th... there was another major cold-snap going through the area... I heard that folks had problems flying to Houston out of DFW because of ice... that being said, there were a few folks standing in line wearing shorts!

This was on December 7th... there was another major cold-snap going through the area... I heard that folks had problems flying to Houston out of DFW because of ice... that being said, there were a few folks standing in line wearing shorts!

Too funny - I was so certain that one of the people in one of your pictures was my dad (who cruised December 21st) that I emailed it to him to ask! :D

I, too, live in Alief's Park Glen West, (40 years).

What route did you take to Bayport Terminal?

I didn't. We overnighted in La Porte and our son took the car home for the two weeks. He had to work on our embarkation morning.

We planned to taxi the short distance to port, but the hotel had an unadvertised hourly port shuttle so we jumped on that at 10:30 am.

Disembarkation day we were pulling in a couple of hours late so we let him sleep in a while, then I directed him to the little beach in El Jardin Del Mar just outside the port:

From Alief

Beltway 8 to 225, to 146 south thru La Porte...

Then, since I knew there might be traffic on Port Rd unable to proceed into port, he stayed on 146 past the port road to Red Bluff, and took that, east, to Todville Road. He got a little more nap time at El Jardin's beach before we called him that we were going down to join our Yellow 5 luggage, come on up to the port's pickup lane.

My reasoning : Todville Road hits Port Road much closer to the port gate. But there wasn't a traffic jam at all.

Timing was almost perfect; he circled the parking lot once on the Dropoff Loop and then we were coming out of the building with the porter.

Edited by sminfiddle

Here's a couple of pics....

11397108584_b5d043bb1b_b.jpg

11397103644_a1378833bc_b.jpg

The Preferred line was quite a bit shorter...:) The other line snaked to the end of the building and then wrapped around. If you look closely at the second picture, just right of center, you'll see folks with a green bag and a red bag. That's the end of the line!

I arrived about 1:15pm on a Princess transfer from Hobby. It took me about 20-30 minutes to get inside. I shudder to think how long it took those folks at the end of the other line.

I was on the first 7 day sailing. I'm glad to see they switched the entrances for regular and preferred check in. When I was there, regular check in was the left most door. Our line snaked all the way to the end of the building. People in the preferred line had to keep cutting through our line to get in their door. It was pretty irritating.

Also just inside these outer doors are some chairs along the walls (before you go thru security). Some people who can't stand for long durations were sitting inside while their family members waiting in the line outside.

Edited by whataboutport

So I'm looking at the warm clothes on the passengers. How cold was it?

'Twas in the high 30's, low 40's. Definitely chilly for this SoCal boy...

Who is the "preferred" line for?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Suite passengers and Elite and Platinum Captain's Circle members.

Yes, very helpful ... though the polar-ready outer wear gives me pause. :eek: LOL!

You are from the north and don't understand. We down here are not use to cold like you have all winter. When it goes below 50 people start bundling up. If the temps drop below freezing (32F) it is time to stay indoors and they even cancel evening events sometimes. I understand why they are bundled up in the pic. As for the crazy in shorts, must be from Canada or northern US. At any rate, they need to have their head examined. :D

50's? I'll be the one in shorts! It's a cruise! :D

Yup: 50s is shorts and sweatshirts weather in this neck of the woods. Love it. ;) I was mostly kidding about the temps, though I have to admit that this will (potentially) be my first Caribbean cruise where I wore anything more than shorts and a Hawaiian Shirt to board. I'm game, though! :D

Edited by 5:00_Somewhere

Yup: 50s is shorts and sweatshirts weather in this neck of the woods. Love it. ;) I was mostly kidding about the temps, though I have to admit that this will (potentially) be my first Caribbean cruise where I wore anything more than shorts and a Hawaiian Shirt to board. I'm game, though! :D

A bit OT, but did Brett Siborne ever let you know if he was going to be onboard when you cruise?

I was on the November 30 cruise, and though I didn't get a chance to speak with him personally, I did message him about your question.

His answer was that he wasn't sure, as he was getting off the ship sometime this month.

He said he would message you.

So I'm looking at the warm clothes on the passengers. How cold was it?

That was a turnaround day for us. We had just come from Cozumel and two sea days crossing the Caribbean and about to go back to sea. We just had to go off the ship to see Immigration and get back on... Unfortunately my wife forgot her jacket in the cabin, and she was shivering when we were traversing the gangway, and while in the Terminal's bare concrete Customs area. Couldn't wait to get back "home" onto the CB and have that great embarkation lunch!

She's from New Jersey but it was actually pretty chilly even for early December.

A bit OT, but did Brett Siborne ever let you know if he was going to be onboard when you cruise?

I was on the November 30 cruise, and though I didn't get a chance to speak with him personally, I did message him about your question.

His answer was that he wasn't sure, as he was getting off the ship sometime this month.

He said he would message you.

Aren't you nice to remember? :) Yes, we did hear ..., unfortunately, he's supposed to be leaving the CB the week before we board. :( However, then we received the usual Princess email introducing our CD and Maitre'd and it listed him, so I don't know what's happening for sure, but hoping maybe his departure date was pushed back. I've messaged him back, but haven't heard anything as of yet. Fingers crossed. Thanks again for thinking of us. :D

You are from the north and don't understand. We down here are not use to cold like you have all winter. When it goes below 50 people start bundling up. If the temps drop below freezing (32F) it is time to stay indoors and they even cancel evening events sometimes. I understand why they are bundled up in the pic. As for the crazy in shorts, must be from Canada or northern US. At any rate, they need to have their head examined. :D

When I boarded it was in the 60s. I was wearing a tank, blouse, blazer and scarf, with long pants on. Everyone else was in t shirts/shorts. I am from So Cal. :o It was in the high 70s when I left home.

Last March we were in Nassau and went to the Fort. The guide was wearing a parka/snowboarding type jacket he was so cold. Other tourists were again in tshirts/tanks/shorts. I wondered were one even buys that sort of jacket in the Bahamas.

And just to let y'all know, by the middle of the first sea day, it was warming up quite nicely. Cozumel (the first port) was downright hot.

Same on our voyage! Coz rained in the AM but it was hot and very humid.

Aren't you nice to remember? :) Yes, we did hear ..., unfortunately, he's supposed to be leaving the CB the week before we board. :( However, then we received the usual Princess email introducing our CD and Maitre'd and it listed him, so I don't know what's happening for sure, but hoping maybe his departure date was pushed back. I've messaged him back, but haven't heard anything as of yet. Fingers crossed. Thanks again for thinking of us. :D

I wanted to get back with you about this when I returned from my cruise, but I couldn't find the original thread. I figured I'd run into you again somewhere on these boards........:D

I hope for your sake that his departure is delayed and you get to see him again.

I'll cross my fingers for you, too....:)