Venice Airport

irishayes

I am looking at booking a return airline ticket, with a departure time of 11:55 a.m.

Will that be enough time to disembark and make the flight?

Reservation doesn't say what time we will disembark; is it always about the same time?

No, actually many of the ships arrive the day before disembarkation and then spend the night. If that is the case you could get off as early as you want.

I would definitely find out that information before booking your flight. We flew home out of VCE last July..we had heard that this airport is crowded with slow lines so we arrived three hours before the flight. Worked out fine.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Are you flying to the US? If so, you need to be at the airport 3 hrs prior and it's a half hr drive from the pier to the airport. So you need to be off the ship by 8:30am.

We had a noon flight. We got to the airport at 9:30 and only had about 10 minutes to spare before they started boarding the plane. The lines at the airport are horrific.

Our previous flight was from Venice to Spain at 6pm. We got to the airport at 4pm. The lines were so long we had to run to the Gate in order to make the flight.

But remember if you have a flight out of Venice, they only open up the ticket counter about 2-2 1/2 hours before the flight. Also remember this is Italy where no one gets in a hurry. The airport is in the middle of nowhere. We rode the airport shuttle straight to the airport last fall. You can find the shuttle near the bus station by the people mover. Cost about 6 euros if I remember correctly. Also time to airport depends on day of the week. We traveled on a holiday(All Saint's day so it didn't take as long).

What was I thinking when I booked a 10.30 a.m. flight to London from Venice!

Just a question for sunsetbeachgal, or anyone who may know the answer…

we are arriving the day before disembarkation and had planned on being able to leave the ship very early….is that a possibility? The People mover doesn't start until 7 a.m., but I thought if we could catch that and then the bus to the airport, we should be there around 8 a.m. Our last experience in Venice trying to get on the shuttle bus at disembarkation was a horror story, but thought the People Mover might have made things easier.

After reading the posts about the Airport, maybe should just pay for a Taxi and be done with it.

Hi, choice between 6:30am flight or 1:15pm flight---

Friends leaving at 6:30am, I can get a flight then(different US states) or at 1:15pm (like this time better, but will be on my own to airport). My questions are---for 1:15 pm what time will I need to get vapapreto(private from hotel-- do not want to drag bags over bridges) (staying at the Bauer, close to st.Marks)? Would assume advance time frame from hotel to airport for 6:30 am flight to airport would be the same as 1:15pm, 2,3 hours?

What to expect from hotel lobby to airport check- in, your experience, this info very important as I will be traveling alone if I book the 1:15 pm flight. Hope this all makes sense, thank you

Well, the airport doesn't even open until 5 AM, so that limits what time you could arrive for the early flight.

If on your own you don't want a vaporetto, you want a water taxi, and your hotel can certainly arrange this for you. It will be about 100-120 euros.

I would plan to arrive at the airport no later than two hours before your flight, but three would be better. It's less than 1/2 hour ride on the water taxi, so I would plan to leave the hotel around 10.

Well, the airport doesn't even open until 5 AM, so that limits what time you could arrive for the early flight.

If on your own you don't want a vaporetto, you want a water taxi, and your hotel can certainly arrange this for you. It will be about 100-120 euros.

I would plan to arrive at the airport no later than two hours before your flight, but three would be better. It's less than 1/2 hour ride on the water taxi, so I would plan to leave the hotel around 10.

Hi Cathy, thank you for the info. Do you know where the water taxi drops me off, will it be a long walk? If the airport does not open until 5am, then no point in leaving the hotel until about 4:30 for a 6:30am flight? This only would give us 1.5 hr to check in. I am thinking the 6:30 am flight is not the best time to leave. Since I live in S. Calf I have a lot of options on airports and time to get home, maybe even later that 1 pm. Just was wondering what to expect in Venice going to the airport. Thank you again

Hi, choice between 6:30am flight or 1:15pm flight---

Friends leaving at 6:30am, I can get a flight then(different US states) or at 1:15pm (like this time better, but will be on my own to airport). My questions are---for 1:15 pm what time will I need to get vapapreto(private from hotel-- do not want to drag bags over bridges) (staying at the Bauer, close to st.Marks)? Would assume advance time frame from hotel to airport for 6:30 am flight to airport would be the same as 1:15pm, 2,3 hours?

What to expect from hotel lobby to airport check- in, your experience, this info very important as I will be traveling alone if I book the 1:15 pm flight. Hope this all makes sense, thank you

If you go by private water taxi you should expect it to take about 45 minutes from San Marco to the airport, plus another ten minutes to walk from the dock to the check-in area. Expect to pay at least 125 Euro for the taxi, perhaps more for the early morning trip. You'd want to be at the airport dock at about 4:45, which would mean a 4 AM departure from the hotel.

If you go it alone later in the day you can save a lot of money by taking either the Alilaguna water bus from San Marco (about 80 minutes, 15 Euro one way) or a vaporetto to Piazzale Roma followed by the ATVO bus (30 minutes on the vaporetto, plus 30 minutes on the bus; vaporetto 7 Euro, ATVO bus 6 Euro).

Alilaguna information: http://alilaguna.it/en/tickets1/fares

ATVO bus information: http://www.atvo.it/index.php?lang=en&area=23&menuid=35

ACTV vaporetto information: http://actv.it/en/movinginvenice/prices

We have flown in and out of Marco Polo airport on a few occasions and truly dislike this particular airport. As to the 3 hour rule (arrive at least 3 hours before a flight to the USA) we once had a morning flight with a departure about 9am and made sure we were at the airport about 6. And what we found was that the airline counter for our flight was not even open (the first employee did not even show-up until a little after 7). And Marco Polo airport, at very early morning hours, is perhaps the most depressing airport on earth :)

Hank

Marco Polo airport, at very early morning hours, is perhaps the most depressing airport on earth :)
Boy, I can second that opinion! I remember being there with two crabby old ladies (my mother and my aunt) after taking the 5:30 AM ATVO bus a few years ago and there was NO PLACE open selling coffee until after 7 AM. Let me tell you, those were a couple of tense hours.

Would checking in on-line and already having our boarding passes help with the horrendous lineups, and if so, can they be printed on board. We overnight in Venice and can do this off ship if we can find somewhere. This brings me to my next question.....we are going to order a taxi for around 7a.m., but now with the Venice port being a bit of a question mark as to where docking would be, has anyone any ideas where the alternate port is. I'm sure this will be a headache for the taxi companies too.

Would checking in on-line and already having our boarding passes help with the horrendous lineups, and if so, can they be printed on board.

It's only going to help if you're not checking luggage. If you are, you'll need to stand in the same line as everyone else to drop your bags.

Boy, I can second that opinion! I remember being there with two crabby old ladies (my mother and my aunt) after taking the 5:30 AM ATVO bus a few years ago and there was NO PLACE open selling coffee until after 7 AM. Let me tell you, those were a couple of tense hours.

"Crabby Ladies?" Surely you jest :)

Hank