New to Celebrity need info on Eclipse

Hawk15

I'm posting for a relative who wants to join our group on the Eclipse, Southern Caribbean cruise in March. Problem is, cabin choices are very limited. Specifically she is looking at oceanview forward on deck 7. She has always booked a balcony mid-ship and is worried that the forward cabins will be too rocky. Is the motion in the forward cabins much more noticeable than mid-ship? Better or worse in the aft? Thanks for any info.

I have stayed in a cabin VERY forward and midship. The rocking seemed about the same to me. I have never stayed aft.

You should know that I do find the rocking soothing. Well except for that one night we hit REALLY rough seas (yes same cruise: southern Carib) at one point I almost rolled out of bed. Thankfully those extra sofa pillows make good ballast! LOL I imagine that there wasn't anywhere on the ship that was smooth that night.

Personally I prefer a balcony cabin to anything so that I have a private place to retreat to when I need it. YMMV

I am writing this reply while currently in a forward cabin aboard Eclipse (Deck 8). We have never been in a forward cabin before and have always stayed either aft or on a couple of occasions, mid-ship. All I can tell you is that the motion of the ship seems more pronounced in our cabin compared to the others we have been in. But some of this is affected by the sea conditions itself.

Mid- ships is my preference.

However, we booked a 2B on deck 7 initially, for the Eclipse Southern Caribbean last March.

About 9 weeks out, when most people had paid their balance, I noticed a 2A was available on deck 8.

I rang Celebrity and asked to be moved, as the price was lower. Initially I was told ,' that price is for new bookings only.'

I told the agent that there weren't any 2A available when I booked, so she moved us to 1A on deck 9, which had a huge balcony.

We also had a refund of £496- so I paid immediately, before they changed their minds.

More recently, we were in a FV cabin at the stern of the ship. We had some very rough nights in the Oct storms in the Bay of Biscay. The captain, at a question and answer session, stated that the stern of the ship is more stable than the bow, as the engines are at the back, so the weight holds the stern down!

No one has yet mentioned the early morning noise and ship vibration the forward OV cabins experience when arriving and departing each port. If you like to sleep late in peaceful quiet, you'll be amazed how loud and forceful the bow thruster are.

This goes for the FV's on S class too--shocking how bad it was. One morning my daughter looked into our room and said, "don't even TRY to tell me you are sleeping through this!" It was maybe 6 AM; we certainly got an early start on our excursions on that cruise!

We just got off the Eclipse today after having been in an FV for 14 nights. On the days we did not have to get up early, all 4 of us slept very soundly when the speed docked.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

We just got off the Eclipse today after having been in an FV for 14 nights. On the days we did not have to get up early, all 4 of us slept very soundly when the speed docked.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

I wonder if they made some structural changes on the later ships--our experience was on Solstice, and the entire room shook like the dickens, everything rattled hard, coffee sloshed in cups, and there was loud banging when the anchor was released in tender ports. We asked friends who were more midship if they heard anything and they said 'not a thing' which was surprising given the amount of clatter in our room.

I know the shake, shudder, and vibration you speak of. We felt that in the FO cabins that we booked at the stern of Century and Mercury. But fortunately we did not get any of that in our Eclipse FV cabin.