Thomson Staff - please read

Hmm....a bit complicated, but it seems to me they are more interested in pleasing their shareholders than their customers :rolleyes:

Also if they if they have a negative cash balance, how can they buy two brand new shops for the German market, on top of the two ships they already have? :rolleyes:

Do I read "creating a leaner holding" as getting rid of assets, staff etc. Perhaps they think that if the Thomson Cruises lose customers, they will have a reason to do away with them altogether, or am I being cynical? :confused:

Personally, I think the whole of the Thomson products have gone downhill since the Tui takeover and wonder if it just an asset stripping operation a la British Leyland :o

Edited by CRUISIN LINDA
spelling!

The Spirit was good this year Linda, no problems whatsoever and the food was smashing.

I don't know how exactly, but Thomsons isn't part of the Tui group for stockmarket listing etc. Tui was going to take it over last year but then changed their minds........maybe just aswell if they haven't any cash.:eek:

Thomsons last report was quite good and bookings were up on the year before.

Anyone noticed since Frazer left this has happened or did he know something....

Geo and Linda what are your thoughts?

this is a good point....but fraser was promoted (wasnt he?) maybe he was the only candidate? (or did they create that position just for him?)

either way...its a smart move to save your best (but least popular) cost cutting ideas for last (just before leaving)....that is my observation on this;)

will be on the dream soon...will report on some more of my observations;)

this is a good point....but fraser was promoted (wasnt he?) maybe he was the only candidate? (or did they create that position just for him?)

either way...its a smart move to save your best (but least popular) cost cutting ideas for last (just before leaving)....that is my observation on this;)

will be on the dream soon...will report on some more of my observations;)

Probably did a good job as far as the the company is concerned - make more profit - get promotion?

When someone takes up a post such as CEO for a big organisation they will surely spend some time gathering information and assessing the situation especially if new to that particular arm of the industry. They will come into a financial year when budgets, policy decisions will already be in place. So imo it will take about a year for any changes they initiate to be implemented and then changes detected by customers.

So what has changed in the last year or so? From memory we've detected or reported on here:

Dilution of the range/conditions of AI

Charging for theatre seats

Charges for steak in the mdr

The Buffet Magnifique has gone (that seems to me to be a reasonable economy imo)

New itineraries with two sea days creeping in

Reduction in luggage allowance for cruises

Charges for credit card use on board which used to be free

Reported economies by regular customers re quality/choice in mdr especially in the evenings (more subjective of course)

Slower service in mdr and bars - reduced staffing levels? (again subjective but these comparisons are being made by regulars who have a lot of prevous experience)

Reduction in number of production shows over the last couple of years

These amount to cost-cutting measures I believe. They have been put in place long before the recent change of personnel at the top of Thomson Cruises so I don't believe for a minute that this is down to the new CEO.

Reading the TUI misssion statement - or whatever it is - I find it hard to imagine what's afoot but sadly I fear that the ethos of making more money out of us may be the message.

Now I agree that any company needs to review their costs and I have a vested interest in Thomson being profitable - I've loved the cruises we've had with them. But there comes a critical point when, depending on each individual's priorities, some or all of these cuts bite to the extent that perhaps customers turn their back and say - this isn't for me anymore.

P.S. I should say the food issue seems to relate particularly to Dream & Celebration (Thomson managed) - not the Louis managed ships; Majesty & Spirit.

I'm very much looking forward to your 'take' on the Dream geo - I value your opinions! :)

Edited by kruzseeka

I have a vested interest in Thomson being profitable - I've loved the cruises we've had with them. But there comes a critical point when, depending on each individual's priorities, some or all of these cuts bite to the extent that perhaps customers turn their back and say - this isn't for me anymore.

this is an important point kruz...I havnt seen the mission statement...but I also have a vested interest in thoms being profitable...look what happened to my beloved island star?....people loved the island star, it was a great product but in direct competition to thomsons (but lacking the same resources) and so couldn’t really compete profitably...so it got sold away (to a spanish line I think?) and thoms took over the island escape but didn’t really want it…. it shows just how little room there is in the exclusive british market....and many similar cruise lines have come & gone before

I cant see this happening to thomsons anytime soon (thoms have their huge land based market behind them)...but I do believe the whole british industry is a bit of a tightrope, and there have been some worrying issues/events recently....the cancellation of the majesty winter season (that has got to hit profits hasnt it) and 2 ships in caribbean next year (a risky change/experiment for thoms?) the demise of the spirit ex uk (risky again) and a few changes to the (tried and tested) product creeping in, management changes at the top?….I hope they know what they are doing:confused::(

and another thing .......

there was a time when island cruises had 2 ships, ocean village had 2 ships and thomsons had 3 or 4?...where have all those cruisers gone?

thoms have stated they want to attract more new (land based) holidaymakers to cruise...but where have all the old ones gone? or...am I missing something??

Edited by geomagot

I, too, certainly hope they know what they are doing. Think I may be going to have a problem with thomson in the future. Am disappointed over no U.K. sailings in 2015. Particularly wanted to sail from Liverpool but can't do thomson's dates this year - they are all in a 3 week period - so was hoping for next year - so will look at either Cunard or Fred Olsen. I find the Caribbean too hot so bit of a problem there. So, if I find the reported drop in standards on Celebration when we go in May to be true so that I am not desperate to get on a thomson ship again, this 14th cruise with them may be the last. Hope not but the things that have made me love the thomson product, and recommend it to many other people, such as service, entertainment, good food and formal nights, seem to be under threat.

Sandie

I, too, certainly hope they know what they are doing. Think I may be going to have a problem with thomson in the future. Am disappointed over no U.K. sailings in 2015. Particularly wanted to sail from Liverpool but can't do thomson's dates this year - they are all in a 3 week period - so was hoping for next year - so will look at either Cunard or Fred Olsen. I find the Caribbean too hot so bit of a problem there. So, if I find the reported drop in standards on Celebration when we go in May to be true so that I am not desperate to get on a thomson ship again, this 14th cruise with them may be the last. Hope not but the things that have made me love the thomson product, and recommend it to many other people, such as service, entertainment, good food and formal nights, seem to be under threat.

Sandie

Yes Sandie I share your concern. For the first time ever after 25 Thomson cruises, we came back and thought on the basis of the evening meal we wouldn't recommend Thomson until we hear there have been improvements (we'd be embarrassed if they went and found it was no different from our last experience). We have lots of friends who cruise - P&O and Cunard in particular - and can be a bit precious about how they preceive Thomson in comparison. We've always said the Thomson experience has some features which make it very attractive and superior in some respects to other cruise lines we've tried and on that basis, we've promoted Thomson on the basis of 'Don't knock it until you've tried it!'

We've always liked the ex-UK itineraires too. Of course, sailing from Southampton's so easy from here but we've always preferred to make the effort of getting over to Harwich (plus an overnight) as we actually have chosen Thomson over sometimes more convenient and also cheaper options. We haven't given up.............. yet - but we are certainly looking for better reviews to come through or else that critical point for us gets closer.

Edited by kruzseeka

For the first time ever after 25 Thomson cruises, we came back and thought on the basis of the evening meal we wouldn't recommend Thomson until we hear there have been improvements (we'd be embarrassed if they went and found it was no different from our last experience).

Something that will be a large share of Thomsons customer base,recommendations

After our first couple of cruises with Thomson raved about it/recommended to friends.Now if i`m recommending Thomson to friends(and I have to many)I cover the whole package eg the good,the not so good and the indifferent so as to not feel embarrassed if friends go and find differently

Something that will be a large share of Thomsons customer base,recommendations

After our first couple of cruises with Thomson raved about it/recommended to friends.Now if i`m recommending Thomson to friends(and I have to many)I cover the whole package eg the good,the not so good and the indifferent so as to not feel embarrassed if friends go and find differently

It really grieves me to say it but that's exactly how we feel and is symptomatic of recent changes. A wholehearted recommendation is now either not forthcoming or given with lots of caveats.

Got a chance to go on a cruise on march 2 to the caribbean, on the Dream, we have been on before twice, last year being the last time in Jan. A few of the reviews and comments have gottem me worried, especially ones who have cruised with Thomson many times. I only eat in the main dining room, and have a special diet....so concerned re negative food comments and poor service. We do not drink so that aspect of ai does not bother us. My main concerns are food, dining room service, and evening show entertainment.......

Can anyone give reasureing comments, or should i be wary?

Many thanks

Got a chance to go on a cruise on march 2 to the caribbean, on the Dream, we have been on before twice, last year being the last time in Jan. A few of the reviews and comments have gottem me worried, especially ones who have cruised with Thomson many times. I only eat in the main dining room, and have a special diet....so concerned re negative food comments and poor service. We do not drink so that aspect of ai does not bother us. My main concerns are food, dining room service, and evening show entertainment.......

Can anyone give reasureing comments, or should i be wary?

Many thanks

Hi peanutmum :) I feel I owe you a response since I was critical of the quality/choice of main course evening meals in the Orion on the Transatlantic in December and therefore may well have contributed to your concerns.

To put this in context, we ate every evening in the mdr and found what we had was well presented, very palatable and acceptable. However the point I have made about the food is that the selection and dishes are not what they've been in the past. (Previous trip was Feb 2013)

And that's the issue: I think there have been economies made such that we were disappointed as we tended to look at the menu and say, well that's OK rather than that looks tempting which has always been the case before. Certain dishes we'd been used to seeing on the menu weren't there and there was an over representation of pork, no lamb shanks, leg of lamb (just appeared as kebabs or curry) , no steaks (that was a payable extra), no beef wellington (although we've had reports of this being on the menu on a subsequent cruise), duck and roast beef appeared only once in a three week cruise and they were on the same menu.

I must impress that I'm not going into this detail to be picky or looking for fault but just to illustrate what we feel has changed and how we felt some of the more expensive cuts of meat have disappeared from the menu. We've always had such choices in the past. And that's the point - the quality and choice has fallen. The vegetable accompaniment was very small too and to my mind too much polenta, rice, noodles and cous cous with potato rather under represented. I suspect that was a cheaper option too. There was however always a pasta dish, fish and vegetarian option avavailable too. I'm not saying the food was bad just the choice and type of dishes had changed, imo for the worse. But we ate well enough.

And to be fair reports I've read about the food in the self service have been good and we found breakfasts and lunches in all eating venues good - also afternoon tea.

So it is important that you take my comments in context. It's just that after many Thomson cruises I feel it's important to report as fairly and objectively as possible what our experience was and since our over - riding impression was of cost cutting (with the evening meal), it wouldn't be right for me to ignore it and say everything was as good as ever.

Other aspects of our cruise were great - entertainment was good but you get variations in the show team from cruise to cruise. These seemed to be exceptionally good on the dance side perhaps less good overall as singers but we thought the shows were very good and we enjoyed them. The team were new onto the ship so may well have not had much chance to settled in so it's perhaps not the best time to be making judgements.

You mention that you have a special diet. I think they are very attentive regards special requirements so wouldn't think that would be a problem at all. We always went into the dining room early and found service pretty good. Our friends tended to go in later and did find it very slow some nights.

If you go aware of exactly why I have been critical and feel that it's acceptable to you with a great itinerary, the beautiful Caribbean and much to enjoy about the ship (we actually love the Dream) there's no reason why you shouldn't have a great time.

And hopefully they will have taken note if there have been enough comments in the same vein as mine, and could well have made improvements. I haven't given up on Thomson yet!

Sorry I have gone on but I want to try to paint the picture as best I can for you. I hope this helps. And if you do decide to go then I hope you have a wonderful time. :)

Like I say…I have a vested interest in thoms being a success, heres what I do

if you have a little spare time...when you return from your cruise, send them an email (I do this often…but I like writing) I am not looking for apologies, I like to let them know what my thoughts are as a passenger

http://www.thomson.co.uk/editorial/legal/contact-us-cruise.html

if there is something they did well...or something you thought they didnt do so well, write and let them know

they want to hear from us, good or bad...I am virtually on first name terms with them nowadays....strangely they figured out who I was from my email address? and I get personal phone calls from them now (they may not do anything much? but its good to speak to the horses mouth...they do listen)

hopefully, if enough people take time out of their busy days to contact them they cannot fail to notice if there are any 'issues' that they need to address

and

maybe just maybe? our letters could be included on the agenda of any upcoming/future meetings.....ie sorted

Geo the most important thing on your next cruise is to .... oh dear beloved one has pulled me by the ear..... saying do not be daft... do not ask...you are stupid etc

so the most important thing to check is............. ouch .......

the sprout situaton :cool:

bang wallop smash ........ no tea for me then tonight :D

Stevie

yay! noprobs for me steve...by all accounts they are now serving sprout thermidor, sprout wellington, sprouts in aspic and sprouts with custard....yay...lovely….cant wait...happy bunny:)

hold on a moment steve...slight domestic distraction....um? where are you going with that frying pan dearest??...ouch!! ...what was that for?!...whadaya mean I cant say that?...ouch!:D

sprout cocktail steve....wow!...bonus (thumbup)

I virtually live in my shed now :( ....on a plus tho...I can happily idle away my days indulging in my favourite pastime...... building replicas of the thomson dream out of chewits:cool::D

Hi peanutmum :) I feel I owe you a response since I was critical of the quality/choice of main course evening meals in the Orion on the Transatlantic in December and therefore may well have contributed to your concerns.

To put this in context, we ate every evening in the mdr and found what we had was well presented, very palatable and acceptable. However the point I have made about the food is that the selection and dishes are not what they've been in the past. (Previous trip was Feb 2013)

And that's the issue: I think there have been economies made such that we were disappointed as we tended to look at the menu and say, well that's OK rather than that looks tempting which has always been the case before. Certain dishes we'd been used to seeing on the menu weren't there and there was an over representation of pork, no lamb shanks, leg of lamb (just appeared as kebabs or curry) , no steaks (that was a payable extra), no beef wellington (although we've had reports of this being on the menu on a subsequent cruise), duck and roast beef appeared only once in a three week cruise and they were on the same menu.

I must impress that I'm not going into this detail to be picky or looking for fault but just to illustrate what we feel has changed and how we felt some of the more expensive cuts of meat have disappeared from the menu. We've always had such choices in the past. And that's the point - the quality and choice has fallen. The vegetable accompaniment was very small too and to my mind too much polenta, rice, noodles and cous cous with potato rather under represented. I suspect that was a cheaper option too. There was however always a pasta dish, fish and vegetarian option avavailable too. I'm not saying the food was bad just the choice and type of dishes had changed, imo for the worse. But we ate well enough.

And to be fair reports I've read about the food in the self service have been good and we found breakfasts and lunches in all eating venues good - also afternoon tea.

So it is important that you take my comments in context. It's just that after many Thomson cruises I feel it's important to report as fairly and objectively as possible what our experience was and since our over - riding impression was of cost cutting (with the evening meal), it wouldn't be right for me to ignore it and say everything was as good as ever.

Other aspects of our cruise were great - entertainment was good but you get variations in the show team from cruise to cruise. These seemed to be exceptionally good on the dance side perhaps less good overall as singers but we thought the shows were very good and we enjoyed them. The team were new onto the ship so may well have not had much chance to settled in so it's perhaps not the best time to be making judgements.

You mention that you have a special diet. I think they are very attentive regards special requirements so wouldn't think that would be a problem at all. We always went into the dining room early and found service pretty good. Our friends tended to go in later and did find it very slow some nights.

If you go aware of exactly why I have been critical and feel that it's acceptable to you with a great itinerary, the beautiful Caribbean and much to enjoy about the ship (we actually love the Dream) there's no reason why you shouldn't have a great time.

And hopefully they will have taken note if there have been enough comments in the same vein as mine, and could well have made improvements. I haven't given up on Thomson yet!

Sorry I have gone on but I want to try to paint the picture as best I can for you. I hope this helps. And if you do decide to go then I hope you have a wonderful time. :)

This is the reply off Thomson Costumer Services about such matters on the Dream this year:rolleyes:

"It's a shame to hear that you were left disappointed by the food on board. We try to offer a wide variety of food cooked to a high standard to suit our guests, however, we do appreciate that not everyone will see things through the same perspective".:confused:

"The Customer Satisfaction Questionnaires:confused: that other customers have filled out for the same time you were away. These indicate that the cruise was performing above our expectations in all areas such as the food and service".:mad: When a Cornish Pasty is on the menu in the main dinning room well, which way is Thomson Platinum going???

Edited by 100cruises