Help with FLL hotel in May

workinmom3

Hi, cruising on Allure May 18. We are flying into FLL on Sat the 17 & arriving around noon. 4 of us (2 kids over 18 so they are really adults). I had thought it would be great to stay at Hyatt Pier 66 so we could see the ships but looks like it will be close to $200 a night. I can get Hyatt place through value trips for about 129 + taxes. Just wondering if it's worth the extra money for Pier 66. I'm thinking it's not. Also looked at crowne plaza & embassy suites although embassy is also close to $200.

I had thought we would explore Las Olas & get some dinner. We will be carrying on wine & was planning to carry on our flight but I have read I can buy at Total Wine close to Hyatt.

If anyone has any other thoughts for our pre cruise stay they would be appreciated. I have read a lot of the Ft Lauderdale thread but there is so much info in there, I keep changing my mind.

Thanks in advance....

Hyatt is resort and Hyatt Place is just a hotel. Some people prefer HP because you get breakfast and pickup from the airport, it's really close to total wine, and it is also newer than Hyatt. Hyatt is a huge property right on the water with a nice resort-like pool, several restaurants, water taxi stop, and spa. So whether or not the difference is worth it is up to what kind of a stay you are looking for.

Have you looked at Riverside Hotel? It's in the best location if you plan to spend the evening on Las Olas. CVS is just a couple of blocks away and sells some wines, and there are a couple of places on Las Olas that sell wine too (Macabe and Cheese Culture)

We stayed for three nights at the Riverside Inn after a cruise earlier last year. We were very pleased with the hotel itself and the location as it is very close to a number of restaurants.

We are staying for one night this spring at the Hilton Garden Inn Ft. Lauderdale Airport-Cruise Port prior to a transatlantic. One of our roll call members found a great rate, and so now at least fifteen of us are staying there. I am not sure that any of us have stayed there before, but since it has both airport and cruise terminal shuttle service, plus a great rate, we are all willing to try it for a night. We plan to meet for drinks at 6 PM. It will be a great start to the cruise.

Look on http://www.lastminutetravel.com. The first hotel listed is 3.5* for $102 and it is the Doubletree. It has green bedspreads if you look at the pictures.

A little further down the list is the Crowne Plaza for $90. It is 4* and has white beds with a blue wall behind the beds if you look at the pictures.

Both of these look good. If you call they will take a few dollars off the price.

Thanks for the ideas. I did look at Riverside but got nervous bc I know part of the hotel is "old". I'm thinking I will go for something more reasonably priced bc DH really prefers we get 2 rooms. When we cruised from Miami we stayed in a 2 bedroom suite at Homewood but the one in Ft Lauderdale only lists 1 bedrooms. I would just make due with 1 room for the night but DH thinks having the extra bath will be helpful in the morning. Does anyone have any experience with the Hampton Inns in the area? I will check out lastminutetravel...those sound like great rates. I've never used Priceline, just nervous I guess.

Thanks for the ideas. I did look at Riverside but got nervous bc I know part of the hotel is "old".

Of course part of Riverside is "old"...that's because it's the only historic hotel in Fort Lauderdale and they want to preserve some of the old ambiance! They offer the newer tower to accomodate those people who are not interested in the history but want the location.

Look on http://www.lastminutetravel.com. The first hotel listed is 3.5* for $102 and it is the Doubletree. It has green bedspreads if you look at the pictures.

A little further down the list is the Crowne Plaza for $90. It is 4* and has white beds with a blue wall behind the beds if you look at the pictures.

Both of these look good. If you call they will take a few dollars off the price.

I have no exp using LMT but these prices are great. What do you mean about calling to get a few dollars off? Is there any hidden tricks to LMT?

Thanks for the ideas. I did look at Riverside but got nervous bc I know part of the hotel is "old". I'm thinking I will go for something more reasonably priced bc DH really prefers we get 2 rooms. When we cruised from Miami we stayed in a 2 bedroom suite at Homewood but the one in Ft Lauderdale only lists 1 bedrooms. I would just make due with 1 room for the night but DH thinks having the extra bath will be helpful in the morning. Does anyone have any experience with the Hampton Inns in the area? I will check out lastminutetravel...those sound like great rates. I've never used Priceline, just nervous I guess.

It is the historic section and it is absolutely beautiful. It isn't 'old'.

I have no exp using LMT but these prices are great. What do you mean about calling to get a few dollars off? Is there any hidden tricks to LMT?

I have booked with LMT a few times and never had a problem. I recently booked the Doubletree. I called the toll free number on the website and the person I spoke to reduced the price from $126 to $120 (every little bit helps). She also told me all the other hotels she had avaliable and their prices.

Marie. I just checked out Lastminute i must be doing something wrong. :( i only see the picture of the outside of the hotels not the bed. the rates would be perfect. it is for ft lauerdale right?

Yes, Ft Lauderdale. I have suggested in another post to call and they will tell you the name of the hotel.

I do not know why you are not seeing the same pictures as I. Mystery???

Edited by Marie51

You should check at lmtclub.com (lastminutetravelclub).

You might be able to do a search here for a link so that you don't have to pay the fee.

I checked you dates and found Crowne Plaza Airport for $101 +tax etc., Hyatt Place North(10th Ave) also around that price.

When you use this site, all the hotels are identified, so no guessing and usually cancellable up to 3 days before.

Maybe someone else here can find the link for you.

You should check at lmtclub.com (lastminutetravelclub).

You might be able to do a search here for a link so that you don't have to pay the fee.

I checked you dates and found Crowne Plaza Airport for $101 +tax etc., Hyatt Place North(10th Ave) also around that price.

When you use this site, all the hotels are identified, so no guessing and usually cancellable up to 3 days before.

Maybe someone else here can find the link for you.

Crowne Plaza for the date needed is $90 on LMT. I have booked with them many times and have never paid a fee or joined a club.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have put a "bid" in through Valuetrips for the Hyatt Place Convention center for $99/night. I know if I have to I can cancel the Hyatt ressie.. I was really debating between Crowme Plaza & Hyatt. You would think I was making a life or death decision with all the thought I have put into it, lol

Look on www.lastminutetravel.com. The first hotel listed is 3.5* for $102 and it is the Doubletree. It has green bedspreads if you look at the pictures.

Marie you are AWESOME!!! I have been looking to book a room in Ft. Lauderdale for our Oct cruise..I found the Crowne Plaza on a website with a rate of $90 but everytime I tried to book it the price jumped to $159 and today the price is $176 :mad:.. I'd just about given up when I saw this thread and checked it out...low and behold you were correct it was the Crowne Plaza and when I called they gave me the room for $81 + tax...unbelievable..thanks so much for sharing this information..it's greatly appreciated.

Emmy

Marie you are AWESOME!!! I have been looking to book a room in Ft. Lauderdale for our Oct cruise..I found the Crowne Plaza on a website with a rate of $90 but everytime I tried to book it the price jumped to $159 and today the price is $176 :mad:.. I'd just about given up when I saw this thread and checked it out...low and behold you were correct it was the Crowne Plaza and when I called they gave me the room for $81 + tax...unbelievable..thanks so much for sharing this information..it's greatly appreciated.

Emmy

You're welcome......glad you found something you are happy with!