Carnival Changes: How to React

Stateroom_Sailor

We're new cruisers, and loved our first cruise on board Carnival. Like many of you, we're not excited about some of the upcoming changes. Maybe they'll be better than we think, or maybe worse (or even both, depending on your preference). Some are talking about switching to RCL/NCL, moving up CCL to lines like Princess, or staying loyal. I don't think any of these are wrong per se, but I recommend taking a balanced approach depending on your needs.

Many have been here before, used to the Carnival product, then come the cuts. Just look at this commercial from 1985:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BECwNurBbEQ

I recommend going for whatever is the best bang for the buck, for you personally, and incorporate the new Carnival product accordingly. Don't be afraid to try something new, and don't throw the baby out with the bathwater ;)

Great video! The Tropicale sure looked big back then. What struck me the most was at the end of the commercial it had a banner 3 nights from $325! I think this as was from 1985. I've taken 7 days for not much more than that per person in the past few years.

Great video! The Tropicale sure looked big back then. What struck me the most was at the end of the commercial it had a banner 3 nights from $325! I think this as was from 1985. I've taken 7 days for not much more than that per person in the past few years.

Exactly, and that equals $700 in today's dollars, where you can now book a 3 night cruise for $150. Some of this comes directly from downgrades, and caused the cruise industry to explode. You will always gain and lose customers by doing so, but where is that perfect balance?

I'm sure few of us want to see the $50 3 night cruise on Motel 6 Cruise Line anytime soon ;)

Wow. Really? 1985 - now? I think We get more for our money now than before... And people still complain!

I think so too. A company like Hyundai may move their quality and price up, while a company like Coke may move them down. In either case, you gain and lose customer base, and it's our job to decide how much or how little we are going to vote with our dollars for that new product. Carnival isn't what it was in 1985, and that's a good thing. Cruising is more accessible, and there are plenty of other lines to choose from for that more traditional experience.

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

We only started cruising 11 years ago, so we haven't witnessed the big changes that others that have been cruising for 20+ years have. I can't say that we have been disappointed with many changes up to this point. For the price, I feel cruising is the best value available for travelers. (Thankfully we live in Florida and don't incur the extras that many others do with air fair.) we have never sailed on another cruise line so don't have anything to compare to. That being said, we've stuck with carnival because we've been happy!

This is what makes me laugh. All of the posters that have posted about being unhappy with Carnival evidently they do have a great time. They talk about jumping companies but allot don't. What I have discovered in my business there are always some who just enjoy complaining.

We have seen so many changes on Carnival. Some things that they did in the past does not make me happy BUT we will always stay with Carnival.

We were on NCL back in 2005 and its seemed like everyone was asleep by 8 pm. AT that time we stated we will never cruise with them and haven't. Even with all the things they offer on their new ships Break away and Getaway.

Go on your cruise and have the best time. Others are not going to bum me out with the negative. Through the years I have read negative on each ship that we have gone on with Carnival and never found the things that they complained about.

I remember those commercials! Oh, the 80's hair and clothes. :)

Cruising would be boring if there was never anything new to experience. We'll be on Victory next week and I'm looking forward to trying the taste bar and the sea day brunch (both new to me). The cruise lines have to introduce new things or they will become stale and irrelevant.

Cutbacks are a little different. For example, I'll be bummed if Carnival gets rid of their wonderful, soft bedding.

I've read this thread but find no mention of what changes are being talked about. Was there some sort of Carnival announcement I missed? My DW & I just sailed the Triumph in September and thought the Carnival product had improved from past sailings we've done. Not that those were bad to begin with.

Edited by texreno

$325.00 for a 3 night cruise would be the same as paying $703.00 today for a 3 day cruise.

No balcony. Inside cabin (being that is the starting price quoted). No guys or any of the extra's we have today.

I will take my 8 day Breeze cruise in a Cove for 785.00 I paid today then what they offered back then for $703.00 for a 3 day cruise back then.

Edited by Tutankhamen

I've read this thread but find no mention of what changes are being talked about. Was there some sort of Carnival announcement I missed? My DW & I just sailed the Triumph in September and thought the Carnival product had improved from past sailings we've done. Not that those were bad to begin with.

May I suggest you also look at John healds facebook page. He gives all the current information and answers all your questions.

This is what makes me laugh. All of the posters that have posted about being unhappy with Carnival evidently they do have a great time. They talk about jumping companies but allot don't. What I have discovered in my business there are always some who just enjoy complaining.

Ha, maybe you are right. Some of this "jumping ship" talk is probably just hot air. Personally, we have no loyalty, and will sail on any line that work for us. If Carnival is $500 and Royal $600, I'm going to choose RCL. If Carnival is $400 and Royal $800, I'm choosing Carnival.

If Carnival ever lowers their MDR down to Denny's quality, with rock hard beds, then they'll be of little value to me. Otherwise, I'm going to enjoy their deals on a vacation.

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

May I suggest you also look at John healds facebook page. He gives all the current information and answers all your questions.

OK. I've now been to John Hearld's Facebook page and his Blog and I'm still wondering what changes this thread is talking about.

I assume you are talking about posters that are loyal. For others it booking the best product based on needs. I would never book a Carnival cruise for my anniversary, or for the most part when my kids aren't with us. If the cost is within $200 of RCL, I will go with RCL. If it's the same as Princess then I will decide on fun factor verses elegance. Last time I went with fun with my son, next elegance with Princess. For those who are not loyal to any line, we are seeing a greater decline in a product we loved and willing to pay good money for.

Edited by Blk_Amish

Granted I've only cruised 4 lines so far but I've noticed very little difference between Princess, RCCL & Carnival on our 7 night Caribbean cruises. I do notice a difference in Carnival's 4 & 5 night cruises and a very big difference in our one Holland America Alaskan cruise.

The shorter cruises seem to have a younger, less formal and more late night crowd. As for the Holland America cruise I don't know if it was the cruise line or the fact that it was an Alaskan cruise but the decks were empty shortly after late seating.

We have seen so many changes on Carnival. Some things that they did in the past does not make me happy BUT we will always stay with Carnival.

We were on NCL back in 2005 and its seemed like everyone was asleep by 8 pm. AT that time we stated we will never cruise with them and haven't. Even with all the things they offer on their new ships Break away and Getaway.

Go on your cruise and have the best time. Others are not going to bum me out with the negative. Through the years I have read negative on each ship that we have gone on with Carnival and never found the things that they complained about.

It is your decision to ALWAYS stay with Carnival.

They lost my loyalty when they said they would improve the loyalty program and three years later instead made it worse.

OK. I've now been to John Hearld's Facebook page and his Blog and I'm still wondering what changes this thread is talking about.

I believe the OP was referring to the menu/table changes. But the discussion could apply to any changes since that commercial was made. :)

I believe the OP was referring to the menu/table changes. But the discussion could apply to any changes since that commercial was made. :)

That makes sense then. Change has come to all the lines that have been discussed here. While some of the changes are good and some are bad, change is inevitable.

I remember reading all the complaints on CC when Rccl changed their loyalty program a couple of years ago. What about all the smokers who complained about the new smoking policy changes while the non-smokers thought the cruise lines finally heard their side. I've read the complaints about the easing of the dress codes on formal nights while at the same time I've read all the post from those who've enjoyed the change.

I myself have enjoyed the easing of the dress codes at work on a hot summer day. At the same time my DW and I like to dress for the formal nights and have our formal photos updated. As long as the family or group at the table next to us is well behaved I could care less what they wear.

I've read all the new menus and still see a 3 to 5 course meal and enough of the old favorites along with some changes I'd like to try. As it's been said many times before, "If you can't find something you would like to eat on a cruise, you just can't be pleased."

A cruise is still a bargain and change will continue.

Yes I am referring to the MDR menu changes currently being implemented, which looks like an attempt to lower food cost. Will the shortened menu be of the same quality? I guess we'll find out...

I posted the video to show that many changes have taken place since 1985, not all of them improvements, and that we're not the first to be disappointed. Though like another poster said, I would rather take a 7 day cruise today for what a 3 day cruise used to cost back then.

This is what I love about Cruise Critic. You are allowed to be a Critic. Haters will be haters, and lovers will be lovers. I appreciate honest opinions, both good and bad, and read both. I may not always agree with your opinions, but I can't force you to be right. :D