Cooking with Josefina?

workinmom3

We will be in Cozumel in May on Allure & are leaning toward "cooking with josefina". From what I've read that takes approx 3 hrs (11-2). We are in Port until 7 pm. We will probably do some shopping (before Josefina) if we get off the ship 1st thing but I was wondering if we would have time to also visit a beach after Josefina? I don't want to go to an AI since we will only have a couple of hours, but what about Paradise Beach? I'm not exactly sure where Josefina's house is so maybe there is another public beach that is closer.

Beaches typically close at 5PM. I think Josefina is in San Miguel. Never taken her class but great reviews and I've pointed them out to DW for next time. Anyway, you'll be about 25 minutes from PB. There are some closer beaches, depending on which pier you dock at. Look into the Money Bar, Playa Corona, or if you're docked downtown Bonnanos.

We will be in Cozumel in May on Allure & are leaning toward "cooking with josefina". From what I've read that takes approx 3 hrs (11-2). We are in Port until 7 pm. We will probably do some shopping (before Josefina) if we get off the ship 1st thing but I was wondering if we would have time to also visit a beach after Josefina? I don't want to go to an AI since we will only have a couple of hours, but what about Paradise Beach? I'm not exactly sure where Josefina's house is so maybe there is another public beach that is closer.

We booked this class last month while staying on the island and really enjoyed the class.

One thing to remember if you are on Allure is that ship time is probably one hour ahead of Cozumel time. You will dock at International Pier and I think Josefina called for a taxi for the other couple that were doing the class with us that returned to International Pier. The taxi could take you directly to a beach or, The Money Bar as previously suggested (a little closer). Depends what you are looking for but if you just want a lounger, drink and WiFi you could try El Cid, right next to International Pier so that you could stay as long as you want and just walk back when you are ready. The fee to use facilities is $18 now I think and includes $10 back towards food and drink. You will already have enjoyed beer, margaritas and lunch at the cooking class!

Great thank you. One last question... Did you feel safe at all times?

We have visited Cozumel many times and when we took the class we were actually staying there. We walked to and from the location about 1 mile each way without any trouble, or concerns. We have walked many places when we have stayed on the island. Of course anything can happen anywhere if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time - you just need to exercise normal awareness.

If you get a taxi to and from the location you will be with Josefina when you walk to and from the market, which is a couple of blocks away and then you return to the house for the cooking. I think she allows up to 6 people in a group. If you google "Josefina Cozumel cooking" you will find many reviews on Tripadvisor and several very good blogs which describe what you can expect, many with photographs of the market and cooking.

We booked through Cozumel Chef (chef Emily). Link for more information.

http://www.cozumelchef.com/services/authentic-mexican-cooking-classes/

Booking was very efficient and Emily is very willing to answer questions very quickly.

Thank you for posting this link! I have been trying to book Josefina's cooking class through the Cozumel website with no luck. I saw that Emily also has cooking classes...hmmm, that might be an option also.

Thank you for posting this link! I have been trying to book Josefina's cooking class through the Cozumel website with no luck. I saw that Emily also has cooking classes...hmmm, that might be an option also.

You are welcome. I was glad when I found this as an option because I have read reviews of this class for many years and it was always the same - cooking class was excellent but it was difficult to book. Now that Emily has taken over this part there does not seem to be a problem. Emily is still on my "to do" list for food tour, or dinner service while staying on the island. She also gets very good reviews. I am sure her classes would be good too, but from a different prospective, since she would not have the inherited experience of Josefina.