Caribbean Princess Norovirus

cruising sister

We will be boarding the ship in March. We were on it in November and a number of pax in our CC group got sick because they went on a ship tour which included lunch. They did not drink the water but did put ice in their glasses for their soft drinks! Remember where the ice came from....the water. The ones who drank theirs out of the bottle did not get sick.

Thanks for the heads up on this.

We will be boarding the ship in March. We were on it in November and a number of pax in our CC group got sick because they went on a ship tour which included lunch. They did not drink the water but did put ice in their glasses for their soft drinks! Remember where the ice came from....the water. The ones who drank theirs out of the bottle did not get sick.

Which port?

For those who boarded late on Saturday, January 11th, 2013 - did Princess do any customer satisfaction recovery? Onboard credit, free or discounted drinks/bingo cards maybe?

And did they have open seating in the traditional dining room?

Did you still have to be out of your cabin by around 8 AM?

No, our steward actually told us we could go eat breakfast then come back for our things. Maybe we were the exception though? It was 9:30 when we went back to the room to get the rest of our belongings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by 2Ccruisers

We were on this cruise as well. We got the Noro Virus "level red" announcement on Wednesday. Since I didn't get the virus, it didn't affect the on-ship fun much, the main impact was using your elbow to push elevator buttons and no more bottles of peanuts at the bars, LOL. We also decided to eat at dinner Sabattini's the last two nights and did room service for breakfast so as to avoid the big cattle-call breakfast buffet/dining scene (we LOVED Sabattini's!).

I talked to some crew and was also told that perhaps the rough seas on Tuesday (the day we missed the Roatan port) caused cases of seasickness that were mistaken for Norvo Virus, but that wasn't from medical personnel.

Hope the next batch has more fun than we had. Six days out of seven were rainy, and choppy seas caused us to miss Roatan and ruined beach/outdoors activities on Cozumel and Belize. Bad experience, overall. :(

Edited by Cozumel Parrot

Did you still have to be out of your cabin by around 8 AM?

I left my cabin at 7:15 because I was a walk-off scheduled for 7:35 departure. After the fog delay announcement, around 9AM they announced that you could return to your cabin IF it had not already been serviced by the maids. Since I had found a reasonably comfortable seat with my bags in the Explorer's lounge, I stayed put.

Ended up sitting in that lounge for 5 1/2 hours, from 7:15 until we disembarked at 12:45. A lousy end to a cruise plagued by bad weather, cancellations, virus alerts, and fogs.

On the good news side, I dominated trivia, basketball and ping-pong deck games, winning 5 medals, LOL.

Edited by Cozumel Parrot

Then the next day we were in Belize. I talked to one man who had gotten sick and he did not think he was sick from Norovirus, but thought it was from the ice cubes in his drink at Belize. He had gone on one of the excursions that served lunch. With lunch they serviced juice with ice cubes, which he drank.

That announcement about Norovirus occurred after these two events, the bad sea conditions followed by our stop at Belize. It did make me wonder if at least some of the cases that were thought to be Noro were perhaps sea sickness or eating/drinking in Belize. I am sure there were true cases of Noro, but I wondered how many cases were misdiagnosed as noro.

Nothing says you can't get noro from ice cubes. When I was stationed in Korea in the early 70s, the local bars were prohibited from serving drinks with ice cubes. Food is usually cooked to a temperature that would kill contaminates but ice is, well, ice.

For those who boarded late on Saturday, January 11th, 2013 - did Princess do any customer satisfaction recovery? Onboard credit, free or discounted drinks/bingo cards maybe?

Are u kidding! We were on Thanksgiving cruise, cancelled Roatan & Belize, added Costa May cancelled 2 shows due to rough seas- nada. We were on same cruise Jan 4, 2 ports, cancelled 1 show, norovirus-nada

Looks like CB is skipping Cozumel. Heading to Roatan on Tuesday. Anybody know why?

I'm on board. New itin is Roatan Tues, Belize Weds Coz Thurs. Sailed 9 pm last night.

Weather and food good!

Norris

Had Princess transport from the airport. We arrived at the termnal at 11. Just in time to see the ship come in. They checked us in and provided shuttle buses to the kemah boardwalk. Turns out to be quite fun.

Great that they shuttled you to the Boardwalk ! Sounds like you are making the best of the delay. Enjoy your cruise!

We are going on the Caribbean Princess this Saturday, and got this message:

Dear Princess Passenger,

On the current sailing of Caribbean Princess there has been an increase in the number of cases of gastrointestinal illness amongst passengers caused by Norovirus, a common illness. It will be necessary for the ship to undergo a prolonged and additional disinfection in Houston on Saturday, January 18, 2014. Consequently, embarkation will be delayed and cruise check-in will now begin at 2:00 pm. We will operate a progressive check-in schedule as noted below. Please arrive at your scheduled check-in time as there is very limited seating space in the terminal and passengers arriving before their scheduled check-in time will be asked to return at their assigned time.

2:00 pm – Baja, Fiesta, & Plaza Decks – Cabins on these decks begin with B, F, & P

2:30 pm – Caribe & Emerald Decks – Cabins on these decks begin with C & E

3:00 pm – Dolphin & Riviera Decks – Cabins on these decks begin with D & R

3:30 pm – Aloha & Lido Decks – Cabins on these decks begin with A & L

We kindly request that you follow the preventative measures outlined in the attached pre-boarding health advisory not only once on board, but also over the coming days to help minimize the spread of Norovirus.

Occasionally, throughout this season, fog has closed the port of Houston at short notice which has delayed the arrival of the ship by a few hours. Please ensure that you have your cell phone number registered through the Cruise Personalizer so that we are able to update you should any further delays occur.

Thank you for your attention to this important message. The entire staff and crew of Caribbean Princess looks forward to welcoming you on board.

Notice: This is an automated email; do not reply as it is undeliverable.

We have paid for trip insurance, and are going with a 4 year old child - should we cancel?

Edited by houcruisecb

We are going on the Caribbean Princess this Saturday, and got this message:

Dear Princess Passenger,

On the current sailing of Caribbean Princess there has been an increase in the number of cases of gastrointestinal illness amongst passengers caused by Norovirus, a common illness. It will be necessary for the ship to undergo a prolonged and additional disinfection in Houston on Saturday, January 18, 2014. Consequently, embarkation will be delayed and cruise check-in will now begin at 2:00 pm. We will operate a progressive check-in schedule as noted below. Please arrive at your scheduled check-in time as there is very limited seating space in the terminal and passengers arriving before their scheduled check-in time will be asked to return at their assigned time.

2:00 pm – Baja, Fiesta, & Plaza Decks – Cabins on these decks begin with B, F, & P

2:30 pm – Caribe & Emerald Decks – Cabins on these decks begin with C & E

3:00 pm – Dolphin & Riviera Decks – Cabins on these decks begin with D & R

3:30 pm – Aloha & Lido Decks – Cabins on these decks begin with A & L

We kindly request that you follow the preventative measures outlined in the attached pre-boarding health advisory not only once on board, but also over the coming days to help minimize the spread of Norovirus.

Occasionally, throughout this season, fog has closed the port of Houston at short notice which has delayed the arrival of the ship by a few hours. Please ensure that you have your cell phone number registered through the Cruise Personalizer so that we are able to update you should any further delays occur.

Thank you for your attention to this important message. The entire staff and crew of Caribbean Princess looks forward to welcoming you on board.

Notice: This is an automated email; do not reply as it is undeliverable.

We have paid for trip insurance, and are going with a 4 year old child - should we cancel?

the trip insurance will not reimburse you for the cruise price and at this point it is a 100% penalty. if it were bad enough to cancel the whole sailing would be cancelled and that will not happen.

the trip insurance will not reimburse you for the cruise price and at this point it is a 100% penalty. if it were bad enough to cancel the whole sailing would be cancelled and that will not happen.

Insurance will pay if it has "cancel for any reason" coverage.

But I agree with you. Take the cruise.

I agree. Take the cruise. The ship is being thoroughly disinfected. Your cruise should be among the cleanest possible. They will probably do extra cleaning in any kid specific areas because everyone knows kids don't worry about germs!

If you are worried, bring some Lysol and Clorox Bleach Wipes and wipe down the stuff in your cabin on your own just for some peace of mind. Then be careful elsewhere in the ship. Wash your hands thoroughly and often--that is better than the antibacterial (which you can use to).

While there can be no guarantees, you should be fine. Have a great cruise!

30 cases of Noro onboard the CB ( intel from a white shirt) and some of them are not staying in their cabins....deep cleaning Saturday.

Perfect weather today as we slowly mosey back to Bayport.

Am washing hands with Zylast and taking plenty of liquids, mostly Beck's beer.

Norris

Thanks for the Intel Bimmer09. We board tomorrow and wonder if you might be able to answer a question about boarding times. We have priority boarding and are wondering if that is permitted prior to the staggered boarding times when they start boarding late as they did your cruise and as they are doing with ours. Thanks for any info, and have fun on your last night. :)

Sent from my VS980 4G using Forums mobile app

Edited by 5:00_Somewhere

Thanks for the Intel Bimmer09. We board tomorrow and wonder if you might be able to answer a question about boarding times. We have priority boarding and are wondering if that is permitted prior to the staggered boarding times when they start boarding late as they did your cruise and as they are doing with ours. Thanks for any info, and have fun on your last night. :)

Yes Priority Boarding will be in effect-there is a separate pair of lounges for Suites/Platinums/Elites etc and you will get to board first. I was first to the Sanctuary, first name on the UST (cancelled on Thurs).

If you are seeing the people leaving the ship I will be the one wearing a yellow, black and white rugby shirt and would love to stop and say hi. We are getting off at 10.15 am (fog permitting) I will have a black Canon camera bag over my shoulder.

I have had a great cruise, all things considered.

Norris

Thanks for the info Norris, I'd love to day hi but they're not staying boarding until 2:00 due to not deep cleaning. Thus my initial post. Staggered boarding stays at 2:00 but we heard priority might be allowed to board earlier, but nothing official.

Thanks for the info Norris, I'd love to day hi but they're not staying boarding until 2:00 due to not deep cleaning. Thus my initial post. Staggered boarding stays at 2:00 but we heard priority might be allowed to board earlier, but nothing official.

Are you gonna be checkin in here? :D

Yes Priority Boarding will be in effect-there is a separate pair of lounges for Suites/Platinums/Elites etc and you will get to board first. I was first to the Sanctuary, first name on the UST (cancelled on Thurs).

If you are seeing the people leaving the ship I will be the one wearing a yellow, black and white rugby shirt and would love to stop and say hi. We are getting off at 10.15 am (fog permitting) I will have a black Canon camera bag over my shoulder.

I have had a great cruise, all things considered.

Norris

The latest NOAA Marine forecast does not indicate that there will be any fog from now through Sunday evening. There "should" be no delays due to fog or winds. See the forecast below:

GMZ330-335-181015-

MATAGORDA BAY-GALVESTON BAY-

336 PM CST FRI JAN 17 2014

.TONIGHT...NORTHEAST WINDS 5 TO 10 KNOTS BECOMING EAST AFTER

MIDNIGHT. BAY WATERS SMOOTH.

.SATURDAY...SOUTHEAST WINDS 5 TO 10 KNOTS BECOMING SOUTH 10 TO

15 KNOTS IN THE AFTERNOON. BAY WATERS SMOOTH BECOMING SLIGHTLY

CHOPPY IN THE AFTERNOON.

.SATURDAY NIGHT...SOUTH WINDS 5 TO 10 KNOTS BECOMING WEST AFTER

MIDNIGHT. BAY WATERS SMOOTH.

.SUNDAY...NORTH WINDS 5 TO 10 KNOTS BECOMING NORTHEAST IN THE

AFTERNOON. BAY WATERS SMOOTH.

.SUNDAY NIGHT...SOUTH WINDS 5 TO 10 KNOTS. BAY WATERS SMOOTH.