Out Break of Chikungunya Fever St Martin & Close By Islands

mcrcruiser

The CDC continues to have a Watch - Level 1, Practice Usual Precautions in place and provided an update on January 7:

What is the current situation?

In December 2013, the World Health Organization (WHO) reported cases of chikungunya in Saint Martin. Additional cases were reported in other islands in the Caribbean. This is the first time that local transmission of chikungunya has been reported in the Americas. Local transmission means that mosquitoes in the area have been infected with chikungunya and are spreading it to people.

As of January 2, 2014, the following Caribbean islands have reported cases of chikungunya:

Saint Martin (French): 98 confirmed cases

Sint Maarten (Dutch): 1 confirmed case

Martinique: 13 confirmed cases; 1 case was also found in a person in French Guiana who had recently traveled from Martinique

Guadeloupe: 3 confirmed cases, including 1 case in a person who had recently traveled from Saint Martin

Saint Barthelemy: 7 confirmed cases

The full Travel Notification, including recommended precautionary measures, can be found here: http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/watch/chikungunya-caribbean

This is getting a lot of play as it is the first time that the local transmission of chikungunya has been documented outside Africa, but there are other diseases that are well established in the Caribbean that are as bad or worse but aren't getting this current publicity.

Given the increased number of cases in St. Martin and now a confirmed case in Sint Maarten, care is required, but as the CDC advises, no extraordinary precautions are needed.

One thing that many people may not have considered: If there are mosquitos on St. Martin, there could also be mosquitos on the decks of the ship. Not going ashore is NOT going to protect you. What WILL is a strong mosquito repellant that has DEET. I know it is unpleasant stuff, but better safe than sorry.

For those who do not know: You put sunscreen on FIRST and then insect repellant on top of that. If you are in swimming or perspiring a lot, you must reapply often. It is not 100% foolproof, but odds are good the mosquitos would rather feast on someone else if you are wearing strong DEET.

I gather that this virus requires an insect vector and cannot be spread from human to human. Is that correct?

Another precaution we intend to bring: OFF now has those little propellant discs that are like little fans that you can wear on your waist or place beside you. Again, not 100% safe, but better than nothing.

Would hate for someone, especially someone who is older or who has an underlying health issue to get sick on their vacation. (High blood pressure is one they caution about.) Please be sure to take all available precautions while your ship is in port. It is far better to be safe than sorry. A minor inconvenience could save you a major health issue. No need to worry unnecessarily though...I think.

Be safe!

This is the best advice. DH is immunosuppressed and never travels without his DEET. One of the worst places for mosquito and tick bites carrying nasty things is Nantucket Island, and he will even travel there provided he has his DEET with him.

Thank you for all your logical replies& assurances:D

It makes sense to use OFF as a precaution over sun screen & it is how the CDC recommends using OFF where sun screen is needed ;).We also read to put the OFF on your hands to apply to facial areas & the back of the neck ,ears ie ;):)

Thanks again & safe cruising:D

I'm not much of a math person but I think driving around my town is a bigger risk of significant injury than getting this mosquito borne fever. People sit out on their own patios, garden, walk the dog, etc with no sun screen or mosquito repellent even during serious reports of West Nile which is a serious risk during the season. Use the precautions appropriate to the risk. Enjoy your cruise!

The mosquitoes biting only peaks at dawn and dusk but can be a problem all day long. It should be noted that the same mosquitoes can also carry dengue fever which is also present in the Caribbean and in a small proportion of the population is life-threatening. That said as others have stated simple precautions will minimize the risk substantially.

Below from

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs327/en/

"The virus is transmitted from human to human by the bites of infected female mosquitoes. Most commonly, the mosquitoes involved are Aedes aegypti and Aedes albopictus, two species which can also transmit other mosquito-borne viruses, including dengue. These mosquitoes can be found biting throughout daylight hours, though there may be peaks of activity in the early morning and late afternoon. Both species are found biting outdoors, but Ae. aegypti will also readily feed indoors."

Above from

Edited by robtulipe

We were on St. Maarten in December and there were a few warnings. Didn't sound so terrible to us, so we landed and wandered about town, as we have pretty much covered the island on past visits. Sonofagun, my DW, the mosquito lure, was bitten on her ankle. It's now more than a month later, and I'm happy to report nothing happened to her. I don't know what the odds are for contracting the disease, but somehow I think they are in our favor. We are returning there in February and this time I'm sure we'll take some precaution, but only because it's so easily done.

Chikungunya and Dengue Fever are not the same thing' date=' but many of the symptoms are the same and they are spread by the same mosquitoes, so pretty close for the non-clinician. Dengue symptoms are often more severe than Chikungunya symptoms. There are significantly more reported cases of Dengue in Florida, than there are reported cases of Chikungunya in Sint Maarten. CDC says Chikungunya fever is not usually fatal. West Nile Fever has killed over 1200 in the US [note that is a US number, not worldwide'] in recent years. I can't help what we have by a few on this thread is the sky is falling fear of the unknown, while in fact that we face greater threats daily.

Thom

we were in St Maarten on 29 December and were told about it the night before by other guests that had read a thread on cruise critic

The ship never mentioned it

We covered ourselves in Deet, went into town. Asked a local who said that nothing had been reported on their news, they found out about it from family in the USA. Another told us that there was 1 case reported and no others.

So off we went to Maho beach, had a great time

We were all fine

We worked on the basis that most mosquitos come out early and late and covered ourselves as a precaution

we were in St Maarten on 29 December and were told about it the night before by other guests that had read a thread on cruise critic

The ship never mentioned it

We covered ourselves in Deet, went into town. Asked a local who said that nothing had been reported on their news, they found out about it from family in the USA. Another told us that there was 1 case reported and no others.

So off we went to Maho beach, had a great time

We were all fine

We worked on the basis that most mosquitos come out early and late and covered ourselves as a precaution

Yes, it's more of a problem on the French side were there have been 98 cases reported. The Dutch side indeed has had only one case reported according to the CDC. Go to

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/watch/chikungunya-caribbean